Why did you sell your GT350?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Lol, when I ignored him, this thread got 2 pages shorter!
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I get not wanting to devalue the car you own, but being objective and honest should come hand in hand with being a car enthusiast in my opinion.

I didn’t even say goodbye to my 350. My 16 GTPP was a nice car, but whoever put my shelby together was stoned, blind, or possibly both.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I get not wanting to devalue the car you own, but being objective and honest should come hand in hand with being a car enthusiast in my opinion.

I didn’t even say goodbye to my 350. My 16 GTPP was a nice car, but whoever put my shelby together was stoned, blind, or possibly both.
When I have something negative to say about the car I own, I say it. I don't sell it and then spend 6 months on the forum for the car I don't have, explaining like a broken record, dozens of times, the reasons that everyone should follow in my footsteps. The crazy x-girlfriend syndrome comment has been made.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Comparing the two, I find a higher sense of connection with the car and the road being behind the wheel of a 911. The GT350 was fun no doubt about it but I feel far more in control with any of the 911's I've had over the Mustangs I've owned (The GT350's were the best of my Mustangs though). You can step out the 911's, but it does require more effort. That's a good thing because that means the driver has more control of the car. Road feel is much better with the 911's as is the suspension. They're probably better at putting down power better than any other car available. Having rear wheel steering feels like being in a slot car. I find that I can drive the car faster and in more control. A GT350 may beat a 911 around a track that rewards horsepower, but will not out handle a 991.2. The GT350 feels pretty heavy. My 911 weighs 600 lbs less and you can really feel the difference.

911's are probably less expensive here in the US than anywhere else. In Europe they have to pay VAT and that's a killer at 19% in Germany. And I wouldn't describe 911's as comfy, nor relaxing, rather 'engaging' is more fitting a description.

I really do wish that Ford spent the money in materials and design, and charged more for the GT350 in order to deliver a higher quality product. They talked it up so much looking back at all the hype. For the money the Boss 302's were made pretty well. The only two missteps were the MT-82 and the live axle. I went into the GT350 thinking that same build quality or better was going to be delivered.

German cars, and Porsche in particular just flat out make better cars. You pay for it no doubt about it but being behind the wheel is rewarding on a daily basis. Now if I was a track rat I would probably buy a 5.0 liter Mustang, gut it and cage it and put the necessary performance bits on it. Tracking a Porsche would cost more. But having a car for back road fun, good low end torque for daily driving, weekend trips with the wife etc, the 911 is a better choice for me.
IMO Porsche is NOT a performance bargain. That's what I want - more performance for my money. Also, I absolutely love a car that's a little loose and overpowered. And I don't care much about fit and finish. The Porsche is under powered and over priced. With a great interior and great panel fit (yawn).

I agree with you that Porsches are like slot cars. And it's boring being in a car that is so "in control" as you say. I can understand that a loose car can be scary to drive. From what you've said here I don't think any Ford ever built is your kind of car. You were just kidding yourself when you thought you could switch over. Relatively low cost has to be a high priority and that isn't a priority for you.

Obviously the GT350 and all other cars have flaws. But you are way over the top thinking that a car that beats the GT3 for 1/2 the price is going to have the same quality interior and exterior. I've driven a GT3 on the track. It did have a lot of mechanical grip and I could tell it was similar in ability to a GT350. But it was way less fun to drive. I understand your engine developed some problem - but just let it go. You're wasting your time feeding this hatred you seem to have. I was quite upset for a while about coolers, but I do appreciate that Ford Performance developed solutions for me and others with the technology package cars. Bottom line - it's been YEARS. TIME TO MOVE ON.

I didn't notice the interior or exterior panel fit on the GT3 I drove, so I couldn't tell you if they were good or not. It just doesn't matter much to me.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
When I have something negative to say about the car I own, I say it. I don't sell it and then spend 6 months on the forum for the car I don't have, explaining like a broken record, dozens of times, the reasons that everyone should follow in my footsteps. The crazy x-girlfriend syndrome comment has been made.
Do you still have your R?

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
IMO Porsche is NOT a performance bargain. That's what I want - more performance for my money. Also, I absolutely love a car that's a little loose and overpowered. And I don't care much about fit and finish. The Porsche is under powered and over priced. With a great interior and great panel fit (yawn).

I agree with you that Porsches are like slot cars. And it's boring being in a car that is so "in control" as you say. I can understand that a loose car can be scary to drive. From what you've said here I don't think any Ford ever built is your kind of car. You were just kidding yourself when you thought you could switch over. Relatively low cost has to be a high priority and that isn't a priority for you.

Obviously the GT350 and all other cars have flaws. But you are way over the top thinking that a car that beats the GT3 for 1/2 the price is going to have the same quality interior and exterior. I've driven a GT3 on the track. It did have a lot of mechanical grip and I could tell it was similar in ability to a GT350. But it was way less fun to drive. I understand your engine developed some problem - but just let it go. You're wasting your time feeding this hatred you seem to have. I was quite upset for a while about coolers, but I do appreciate that Ford Performance developed solutions for me and others with the technology package cars. Bottom line - it's been YEARS. TIME TO MOVE ON.

I didn't notice the interior or exterior panel fit on the GT3 I drove, so I couldn't tell you if they were good or not. It just doesn't matter much to me.
I agree with most of this. All of the 911s I've driven are super nice, but too nice and smooth etc. I wouldn't call the ones I drove underpowered though with the exception of the previous N/A Caymans/Boxsters.

I never thought my GT350 was to tail happy, maybe I drove it wrong. I also had 325 MP4S on Forgelines though to and some Steeda suspension/FP mods. I'd really have to lay into it to get it to break loose.

Also A GT350 beats a GT3 around a track? Do you mean an R does?

I could overlook the fit and finish with my GT350s (even though it is just flat out lazy and inexcusable in this day and age) until the constant reliability issues I had with the rest of the car. I do think Ford has a culture issue when it comes to pride in their product that needs to be addressed.

Last, I do miss some parts of my GT350. It was the most fun car I ever owned from a driving experience standpoint.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Somewhat unrelated.... When the forum switched software, I slowed down my usage - I was just accustomed to vBulletin and how it worked/searched. I still like a lot about the old software but I discovered that the ignore on this new one is MUCH better! The old one, even when you ignored someone, it showed their name and space for their post but said "you are ignoring this user".. or something like that. I still had to see it there. THIS software, when you ignore someone, it's like ERASING THEM FROM YOUR LIFE, you see nothing. Very clean.

Hack, I'm on-board with anything improving and Ford could do some things better, for sure. The fact is, we all have our preferences, just not all of us spend our time trying to convince everyone else that our "opinions" are right for the masses. I picked up a 964 project and fit/finish will be a priority (since I know it will likely be slow) but that's the trade-off and I think if you're realistic, you can be 100% happy with a car....err 99% ;)
When some manufacturer comes up with the silver bullet of performance, quality and value - I'll be all over it. Until then, pick your poison.

TDG77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Future 2017-2018 Shelby GT350 owner
I'm set to pick up a '17 tomorrow and have been happily anticipating finally being able to do so. However, between this and the "blown engine" thread, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get a tinge of doubt.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree with most of this. All of the 911s I've driven are super nice, but too nice and smooth etc. I wouldn't call the ones I drove underpowered though with the exception of the previous N/A Caymans/Boxsters.

I never thought my GT350 was to tail happy, maybe I drove it wrong. I also had 325 MP4S on Forgelines though to and some Steeda suspension/FP mods. I'd really have to lay into it to get it to break loose.

Also A GT350 beats a GT3 around a track? Do you mean an R does?

I could overlook the fit and finish with my GT350s (even though it is just flat out lazy and inexcusable in this day and age) until the constant reliability issues I had with the rest of the car. I do think Ford has a culture issue when it comes to pride in their product that needs to be addressed.

Last, I do miss some parts of my GT350. It was the most fun car I ever owned from a driving experience standpoint.
I bet you're right and it's the R that's faster than the GT3. I know when I drove a GT3 it felt very similar to my GT350 in grip and speed around the track. And I drove a regular GT350 at the Track Attack event 3 days afterwards, so the GT3 was fresh on my mind.

Maybe underpowered is the wrong term. The Porsches I've driven didn't have enough power that when you stepped on it leaving a light you would ever worry about spinning the tires. How's that? You would have to completely abuse them winding the throttle way up to the sky and dump the clutch if you wanted to spin the tires. I wouldn't do that and I don't think they are probably even built to handle that kind of treatment. They are more for gently cruising around town and then taking a few corners a little quickly.

For instance, a new 911 has 370 HP. That's what you get for your $91,000. IMO that is not much power for a $91,000 car. And it's not the kind of power that makes you nervous when you step on the gas pedal. 370 HP is what you expect from a cheaper sports car, but Porsche makes you pay big time if you want decent power in their 911. 500+ HP should be the starting point for power in a $90,000+ car that is intended to be sporty, IMO.

But Porsche makes momentum cars. Momentum is fun and all, but IMO acceleration is way more fun. Acceleration in a car that can also corner well is the best.

I'm set to pick up a '17 tomorrow and have been happily anticipating finally being able to do so. However, between this and the "blown engine" thread, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get a tinge of doubt.
Not surprising. I love my GT350 - it's the best car I've ever owned - and these threads give me some doubt as well. IMO it's well worth feeling some doubt.

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Seriously, don't worry about it.

The thing with GT350s is that half the people that own them come from high-end luxury sports cars (Porsches, etc) so use that as a comparison and are obviously on a different level of expectations than the normal Mustang owner (Mustang has always been a lower-middle/middle class person's car - debatable on whether that's still the case or not, but that's for another discussion). The other half are people like me, that can afford the car, but it's kind of pushing the limits of affordability.

So you've got a ton of people that either compare quality to something that would never in a million years be cross-shopped otherwise (Porsche) and a ton of people that just spent more money than they've ever spent on a car and get bummed out when realizing that it is technically a "budget" high performance car so freak out when something goes wrong because, hey, this is the most money they've ever spent on a car.

On an enthusiast forum, these two populations are going to make it seem like everyone is having issues but the fact is these issues are still a small subsection and Ford's warranty is decent enough to ease your mind.

What you should really focus on is this: Fucking $150,000 Porsche-owners are cross shopping a sub $60k Ford product and praising the performance aspects of it. How amazing is that? Very few cars in that budget can have consistent comparisons to cars two to three times as expensive. That's incredible.

The only reason I got rid of my 2017 was because I can only afford one car, and in Seattle and with the short commuting distances I take, the GT350 was just more of a burden than a high clearance vehicle. If I still lived in a flat geographic, low cost of living place like Texas still, I would have for sure kept the GT350. But it just didn't make sense at this point in my life.

So don't worry about it. Just drive it and enjoy it. If you determine it doesn't make sense for your life at this time, move on to the next thing. But definitely don't let a skewed sample population (internet forums) overtake your excitement. It really is a bad ass vehicle.

Sponsored

TDG77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Future 2017-2018 Shelby GT350 owner
So you've got a ton of people that either compare quality to something that would never in a million years be cross-shopped otherwise (Porsche) and a ton of people that just spent more money than they've ever spent on a car and get bummed out when realizing that it is technically a "budget" high performance car so freak out when something goes wrong because, hey, this is the most money they've ever spent on a car.
I definitely fall into the latter group here. I do OK for myself and this will be my DD. I don't anticipate putting much more than 10K miles/year on it, but I still have a few doubts. I got rid of a '96 GT back around 2005-2006 and have been a "foreign only" guy since then. This car is pretty much the only one that has made me even considering "going American" again for a spell.

he only reason I got rid of my 2017 was because I can only afford one car, and in Seattle and with the short commuting distances I take, the GT350 was just more of a burden than a high clearance vehicle. If I still lived in a flat geographic, low cost of living place like Texas still, I would have for sure kept the GT350. But it just didn't make sense at this point in my life.
Living in OK, this assuages the "flat" issue for the most part. I'm on the low end of my 40's, have a good home life and two teenaged boys(one about to start driving and the other a couple years younger). Financially, this may be the opportunity I have to take on this car. I just don't want it to peter out on me in a year or two. Or five.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I bet you're right and it's the R that's faster than the GT3. I know when I drove a GT3 it felt very similar to my GT350 in grip and speed around the track. And I drove a regular GT350 at the Track Attack event 3 days afterwards, so the GT3 was fresh on my mind.

Maybe underpowered is the wrong term. The Porsches I've driven didn't have enough power that when you stepped on it leaving a light you would ever worry about spinning the tires. How's that? You would have to completely abuse them winding the throttle way up to the sky and dump the clutch if you wanted to spin the tires. I wouldn't do that and I don't think they are probably even built to handle that kind of treatment. They are more for gently cruising around town and then taking a few corners a little quickly.

For instance, a new 911 has 370 HP. That's what you get for your $91,000. IMO that is not much power for a $91,000 car. And it's not the kind of power that makes you nervous when you step on the gas pedal. 370 HP is what you expect from a cheaper sports car, but Porsche makes you pay big time if you want decent power in their 911. 500+ HP should be the starting point for power in a $90,000+ car that is intended to be sporty, IMO.

But Porsche makes momentum cars. Momentum is fun and all, but IMO acceleration is way more fun. Acceleration in a car that can also corner well is the best.

Not surprising. I love my GT350 - it's the best car I've ever owned - and these threads give me some doubt as well. IMO it's well worth feeling some doubt.
Agreed they are not value cars, but I disagree they are only momentum cars. I think they are more into balance than anything and repeatable lap times. Which, I can see and agree makes them a bit boring to drive, especially on the street.

I wouldn't just look at the numbers as even a base Carrera will keep up with most GT350 non Rs. The new Carrera S and GTS (not to mention the higher versions), especially with a PDK will out accelerate any stock GT350, including the Rs pretty easily. If it is a manual than an R has a better chance. They are considerably lighter than GT350s and can take the abuse.

But, I do agree with your overall points. I've specced out a manual GTS and just didn't see the value in paying 130k for it over other cars like the GT350s, Camaro SS/ZL1 or even my M3 for that matter.

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Living in OK, this assuages the "flat" issue for the most part. I'm on the low end of my 40's, have a good home life and two teenaged boys(one about to start driving and the other a couple years younger). Financially, this may be the opportunity I have to take on this car. I just don't want it to peter out on me in a year or two. Or five.
Nah, you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the oil level relatively frequently and if anything concerning happens, take it to the dealer.

When you put the exhaust in sport mode and take off, you'll forget all about your worries.

BoostinFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
From "Why did you sell your GT350/R" To "Which is faster? GT350 or a Porsche?" HA! Nice twist in the story.

Last edited:

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
2016 350: Was back into by a hit and run driver. Had it fixed and went to Tulsa with to get an appraiser to help with the loss in value claim. Went to look at Porsches with my dad for fun and ended up trading it for a 17 Panamera for my dad.

2017 350R: Daily drove it. Put 20,000 miles on it and had a coupon for employee pricing on a new Mercedes product (with some exclusions) Went to the same dealer in Tulsa and gave it to my parents to trade on a GLS550 for my mom.

Miss the hell out of the R but looking at getting a 992 GT3 as a replacement eventually.
Sponsored