Sponsored

Transmission Issue - Buyback Advice (2018 GT Premium)

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
02/11 Update: Ultimately got an ETA of 02/28 on the parts, they opted to replace the entire transmission instead since they could locate one. They aren't sure if this transmission has the same crummy shift forks or not.

(Icing on the cake: I didn't even make it halfway home before I had to turn around and bring it back to the dealer as they didn't bleed my clutch line properly and I had tons of sporadic slack in my pedal.)

Good luck to any of you who need to work with one of Ford's corporate regional service managers. I have had the worst experience with mine, not returning calls for 5+ business days, etc.

Update: Still in the shop as of 01/28, still no end in sight due to parts being on back-order. Total time on shop as of today: 25 Days

My mustang is now in the dealer's shop that I bought it from. I took it in for another oil change, and repeated my gripes about the 2k engine rattle/etc (they seemed to dismiss it, I'm guessing they've heard it a lot and the first time I took it in they only put 2 miles on the odometer to "check it out")

Turns out a new problem has popped up: When I was shifting into 3rd gear, it felt like the shifter was bumping/scraping something on the way in. That got their attention, and they looked into it.

Now they've got my entire transmission dismantled. Took them 3 days to "get the schematic from Ford", and now they have parts on order. Also mentioned some of the parts are on backorder, so here we go down the rabbit hole of possibly being another Mustang stuck at the dealer for weeks.

First trip to dealer - 3k Miles - 7 Days in the shop - They changed the oil and said "All clear, the noises are 'normal' "
Second (current) trip to dealer - 8k Miles - 10 Days - Transmission currently disassembled and parts are being ordered.

I've never had a loaner issued from the dealer.

What do I need to be doing to prepare myself? Aside from meeting the 30 days in the shop, what other stipulations should I be aware of?

It goes without saying, it's very frustrating forking out 40k on a factory-ordered car only to have major transmission failures within the first 7 months of owning the car. I also don't want to be holding the bag on a severely diminished value Mustang, because god knows I wouldn't buy one with tranny work right out of the gate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Mine does the same thing going to 3rd on 90% of the shifts. I just assumed I didn't have the gate lined up 100% of the time.

Mines doesn't require a ton of force but it does feel like your meeting some side to side resistance while shifting. It has been like that since day one.

Did they tell you what is wrong?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it’s the MT82, the problem is going to be the shift forks. There are issues with the 1-2 and 3-4 shift fork clusters, it’s a known issue in the 2018’s. I’ve posted the actual TSB information in the Transmission sub-forum on here.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Look up the laws on your states dmv site. Those are what Ford follows.

OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Mine does the same thing going to 3rd on 90% of the shifts. I just assumed I didn't have the gate lined up 100% of the time.

Mines doesn't require a ton of force but it does feel like your meeting some side to side resistance while shifting. It has been like that since day one.

Did they tell you what is wrong?
Gear - Mainshaft 2nd speed
Synchronizer Hub x 2
Synchronizer Ring x 3
3rd and 4th Speed Clutch
3rd and 4th Speed Fork
1st and 2nd Speed Fork

We're over 15 days sitting in the shop at this point.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Update: Still in the shop as of 01/28, no end in sight as the parts are still on backorder.

OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
02/11 Car Retrieved
Sponsored