Best springs and shocks for better ride quality w/o magneride

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Try lowering your tire pressures a little bit. Try 30psi cold.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
32 should not be too high, and a 50-series tire should be the S550's softest-riding tire. It was just one of the unknowns.

Norm
Ya. that's what I thought too. I mean I was planning to get 20 inch rims. Might hold off on that.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Mostly out of curiosity at this point, what were you driving just before you bought the Mustang?
S-class /s

If you want something now, I'd say the Sport Progressive springs and a better shock/strut combo to go with it. If you don't mind waiting, I'd say the Steeda Actives in late March. Based on the initial testing video, it really smooths out a rough road (or driving on the dirt/grass).

Sponsored

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Ya. that's what I thought too. I mean I was planning to get 20 inch rims. Might hold off on that.
Larger rims usually means narrower sidewalls therefore narrower tires. This will give a harsher rider generally speaking. If you want to improve the ride and not the handling, get smaller rims and taller tires.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Ya, I completely understand that there is a trade-off. I didn't think it would be this stiff but anyways I like my stang no doubt.
You are exactly correct in your thinking. I am 67 and have owned sports cars all my life including two previous Mustangs. Ford dropped the ball in the ride quality department on an otherwise great sports car. You can build a great handling car that has a compliant ride quality as well. BMW and Audi have been doing it for decades in cars that are not great deal more expensive that what I paid for my limited edition 50 year anniversary Mustang. I lowered the air pressure in my tires to 30 in the rear and 32 in the front and it helped some, but it still has the most harsh ride quality of any car I have ever owned. When they become available I plan on trying out the Koni active shocks to see if that does the trick.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
You are exactly correct in your thinking. I am 67 and have owned sports cars all my life including two previous Mustangs. Ford dropped the ball in the ride quality department on an otherwise great sports car. You can build a great handling car that has a compliant ride quality as well. BMW and Audi have been doing it for decades in cars that are not great deal more expensive that what I paid for my limited edition 50 year anniversary Mustang. I lowered the air pressure in my tires to 30 in the rear and 32 in the front and it helped some, but it still has the most harsh ride quality of any car I have ever owned. When they become available I plan on trying out the Koni active shocks to see if that does the trick.
The OEM dampers really are the issue with ride quality. I actually think they are all too soft for the OEM springs and cause the noticiably floaty and rough ride. It’d be a safe bet that these new active dampers will smooth things out to your liking.

OP
OP
nj888

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Would you know when will they come out?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The damper tuning and the amount of bushing bind in the suspension by design is why the car rides and handles clumsy stock, despite being so soft.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
The damper tuning and the amount of bushing bind in the suspension by design is why the car rides and handles clumsy stock, despite being so soft.
I actually think it handles pretty good and at 67 I don't drive like I did at 27 as often so that is not a problem......but most everybody that has ridden in my car have commented about the harshness of it's ride quality and my wife grimaces if I suggest we take my car instead of hers on a trip. Hopefully these Koni's will take care of that if they ever become available.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I actually think it handles pretty good and at 67 I don't drive like I did at 27 as often so that is not a problem......but most everybody that has ridden in my car have commented about the harshness of it's ride quality and my wife grimaces if I suggest we take my car instead of hers on a trip. Hopefully these Koni's will take care of that if they ever become available.
They may, though there are a good selection of passive dampers that will improve things quite a bit. Since you have the LE car, you have the PP springs and dampers. Even without lowering, you can improve the overall ride with a damper change and taking bushing bind out of the rear shock mounting.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I suspect that most peoples' tolerance for ride harshness goes away with age (even if firmness is still acceptable or even preferable). Fewer still are willing to tolerate as much harsh behavior as they used to even to get additional cornering & handling benefits.

Norm
Sponsored