Bringing track wheels to the track

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
I use a 4x6 utility trailer from Lowe’s, which I’ve removed the parachute (rear ramp gate) from. Curt hitch on the car weighs 44 lbs but it’s worth it for me. Tows easily and keeps the interior in good shape. Drag a set of four 60lb wheel/tire assemblies in and out of the interior enough times and chances are you’ll accumulate some scuffs on the car or a bad back....or both.

My only regret is that I didn’t go with a 5x6/8 trailer, because stacking the 305’s together in one row across the width of the trailer isn’t possible...so I have to get creative with the layout. I’m considering modifying it or building a trailer from scratch ala Leroy Engineering style.
F4ABD824-26AA-41DD-BD8F-F591794D78B1.jpeg

dont know about state to state variances but generally aren't you supposed to have working trailer brake lights? seems like it might take some doing for wiring.
Sponsored

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
I don’t know about state to state variances, but generally aren't you supposed to have working trailer brake lights?
The trailer in my photo is equipped with lights. Red lenses, one on each side, with incandescent bulbs, and yes they work. They may be hard to spot in the photo. Curt (the hitch manufacturer) also makes a plug-n-play harness. Simple T-connector fits in between the the cars body harness and your taillight plug, and gives you a nice long lead with the standard 4-pin trailer connector. Run it through the grommet in the spare tire well for clean under-car use or straight out the trunk opening and close the lid on it.

That said, some states don’t require them if you can see over/past the trailer and the tow vehicle lights are easily visible.

Last edited:

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
But if you have money, there is this thing: http://www.leroyengineering.com/leroy_tire_trailer.php

No good hidden hitches yet tho. Stealth Hitch was working on one, but I don't think its made it to market yet, and I'm not sure how durable the mounting location they've chosen will be.
That's pretty cool. I'd be worried about not having anything locked up though. Might come out of the hotel missing a few wheels!!!

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty cool. I'd be worried about not having anything locked up though. Might come out of the hotel missing a few wheels!!!
Right me too. You can always roll the wheels into your hotel room or just leave the trailer parked at the event site.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
I went all in and ordered the Grid heavily optioned.
What was the total cost shipped? (If you want to share)

Either way, please post some pictures here when you receive and build it! Is it color matched to your car? White tubing with black wheels?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Right me too. You can always roll the wheels into your hotel room or just leave the trailer parked at the event site.
Just run a heavy cable or tube through the wheels and pad lock it to the trailer.

I am surprised they don't offer a "security bar" as a standard option.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
My plan was to run my track wheels since the S007a is pretty durable and put one or two of the base 18x8 235s in the trunk so I'll have spares to drive home on if I blow one or two out.

Does anyone do it that way???

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My plan was to run my track wheels since the S007a is pretty durable and put one or two of the base 18x8 235s in the trunk so I'll have spares to drive home on if I blow one or two out.

Does anyone do it that way???
Yeah for 90% of events where I don't need to drive more than ~150 miles, I go on my track tires and I'll bring (1) spare in the trunk. 2 is probably a better idea. I've had to use the spare too.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I've thought about doing this, but I have a 400 mile + round trip to the tracks I can attend.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Yeah for 90% of events where I don't need to drive more than ~150 miles, I go on my track tires and I'll bring (1) spare in the trunk. 2 is probably a better idea. I've had to use the spare too.
I guess for the guys running something like track only Toyo tires or something that still wouldn't be an option...although i might do it if it was an auto cross even 10 minutes away or something.

For the 240 rated S7000a's i don't see a problem doing it. The problem would come up in they were only in fair shape and i was trying to squeeze one more event out of them knowing they would be shot after the event and id have nothing to drive back on.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes, not a big deal with "track tires" that are valid street tires (TW200 or above). Especially for closer events.

Gets pretty iffy for 100 or less treadware R compounds. Hoosiers I wouldn't drive across town on. NT-01, RA-1, or R888 I might drive within 50-100 miles if I had to, if they were newish with ~full tread depth.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I took mine to VIR last August with Pirelli Trofeo R's 60 TW.
It was almost a sigh of relief when I got to the track that I didn't hit any debris, Potholes etc..

If my buddy (in his truck and trailer) doesn't come in March - I'll have to find another way of getting the track wheels to VIR.
I don't want to tiptoe there again..!
Sponsored