Sponsored

Whipple/PD - Tire Recommendations

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've read all I can read on the topic throughout the forum and other places. Many posts are old, maybe out dated a bit and looking for a fresh take on this topic from people who were in a similar situation and what they went with, how it works, etc. Keep in mind my car's a manual w/ 3.73's, Whipple has been ordered and I do have a few suspension mods, in my sig.

Looking for rear tires for the street that'll fit the stock PP rear wheel (19x9.5) that'll provide the best grip. I get that a stick car is best on a bias ply and I may pick up ET Streets just for the track, but I don't want to run them on the street. At the same time, I don't want a DR that busts a half shaft on the street.

At the end of the day I guess I'm asking, if I pick up the NT05R (just throwing that out there, open to anything), 305/35/19 seem too large for the 9.5" wheel. It would seem as though a 285/35/19 (NT05R not available in that size) would be about right based on range for that width wheel. Would this be a half shaft breaker? I'm not opposed to doing the half shafts now. Let's say I did, would a DR then be good to go for the street? What about at the track with a, let's say, 2.5-3K launch quick slipping the clutch.

I don't care about price, but if there's a good tire that works fairly well that's more reasonably priced, let's hear about it (Firehawks?)

The car is not a DD and never sees rain. If there's a spec of green on the radar, it stays in the garage.

Appreciate the input!
Sponsored

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
You’ll want 11 wheels in the back, sell the stockers. I have nt05r’s in that same size and you can still blow them wide open in first and second. They’ll dead hook in 3rd though.

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
I'm going to run MT ET S/S 285/35/19 on my street rims and M&H 275/50/17 on forgestar 17x9.5 when I have a grudge run (49lbs)

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Summer tires of any size wont contain the whipple!! I have MT Sport Comps 305s and they might as well be plastic they spin so hard so fast with any aggressive throttle.....and I have 315 gears....they are worthless in first and second gear. I purchased Nitto 555R 305s for a daily tire. For me they are the best choice for wet roads and traction. In the end you gotta compromise somewhat. Your not gonna blow your halfshafts with a DR on the street daily driving them unless your using them for hard launches.

Sponsored

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I run r888r and they don't hook; but are a huge improvement over stock. I've also run M&H racemasters. They hook better - not a dead hook, but they also fishtail. I'm going to try the MT et street r next.

(FWIW - r888r in rain can go to around 60mph carefully. The racemasters around 35mph)

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a crappy position. I live 135 miles from the track. My last car I would swap out the rears for ET Street R's at the track which flat sucks, but will likely have to do the same for this car. Not really a way around it. There is no other tire I would run at the track over an ET Street R.

As far as street tires I'll likely light up the stock Pirelli's and go from there. Maybe I'll give the Continental Extremes or Firehawk Indy's a shot. Much more fairly priced than the Michelins and know they'll break loose before breaking parts on the street. Pretty hesitant to run a DR with a stick car, even with upgraded half shafts.

Would love some additional stick car folks to comment on experience with DR's on the street, with or without upgraded half shafts. How many miles using, hard launches? Any issues?

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
I swap tires at the track every time. Key is a good light weight jack, a proper battery impact and a small rug to save your knees. Been doing it this way for 10 years.

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You’ll want 11 wheels in the back, sell the stockers. I have nt05r’s in that same size and you can still blow them wide open in first and second. They’ll dead hook in 3rd though.

this, the stock PP1 wheels are barely acceptable for stock never mind 700+ WHP

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Mickey Thompson Street S/S, Im running them with my twin turbo setup and they hook up well for the street. They run large though is only thing so 305 35 19 would fit best on 11" wide wheel.

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
2015 M6 procharged here. Ran the NT05's on the stock 9.5 rims (305/35/19's). Tires would hook in third. Went to a 10" rim and ran MT S/S every since. 305 as well on 19x10. On a hot road with heating the tires I can dead hook in 1st. Im running 3.15's and 800 rwhp. With a whipple and 3.73's there is not a tire out there you will hook in 1st with. even 2nd with that combo is going to be difficult. The MT is the BEST street traction tire out there.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
2015 M6 procharged here. Ran the NT05's on the stock 9.5 rims (305/35/19's). Tires would hook in third. Went to a 10" rim and ran MT S/S every since. 305 as well on 19x10. On a hot road with heating the tires I can dead hook in 1st. Im running 3.15's and 800 rwhp. With a whipple and 3.73's there is not a tire out there you will hook in 1st with. even 2nd with that combo is going to be difficult. The MT is the BEST street traction tire out there.
Appreciate all the input. A gear change has made its way onto the list. Need to look at potential trap speed and see which ratio would be optimal. Did you run the NT05 or MT S/S on stock half shafts, how long and how much abuse?

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I did all my other mods prior to super charging...thought is would save money in the long run...lol i was wrong...more on that in a minute. I went with DSS 800 half shafts, RXT clutch, one piece drive shaft, bmr and steeda suspension, MGW shifter then supercharger. All was well at the 650hp mark....then i wanted more. Pullied down went E85 and blew through two MT82s. Did the TR6060 swap put in Wave Trac rear with 4.10s and FRRP 1400 half shafts. Been solid every since. Reason I told you all that is you never know what's going to happen once you start adding power. Some people have no problems, some have lots of problems and everyone else falls in between. Have a plan A, B and C always with what we do.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I ran 555r nittos on a 650whp gt500 at the track with no issues launching with 17 psi in the tires.

Also ran a MT ET Street SS on a twin turbo 2014 mt82 car... no issues there either.

I’ve also ran/run a 305 street SS on a 9.5 wheel.

OP
OP
Gee

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did all my other mods prior to super charging...thought is would save money in the long run...lol i was wrong...more on that in a minute. I went with DSS 800 half shafts, RXT clutch, one piece drive shaft, bmr and steeda suspension, MGW shifter then supercharger. All was well at the 650hp mark....then i wanted more. Pullied down went E85 and blew through two MT82s. Did the TR6060 swap put in Wave Trac rear with 4.10s and FRRP 1400 half shafts. Been solid every since. Reason I told you all that is you never know what's going to happen once you start adding power. Some people have no problems, some have lots of problems and everyone else falls in between. Have a plan A, B and C always with what we do.
I think I remember you from the Dynotech driveshaft thread I wrote a while back. You still have it, held up well? Thanks for sharing info. I'll probably be under the 650 mark for a bit, I guess we'll just see what happens. Hopefully someone on DR's, stick, stock shafts chimes in on street experience. I'm not against replacing stuff beforehand, just comes down to gathering information on whether it's actually needed now or not.
Sponsored