Sponsored

Disappointed in pricing?

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Anybody else disappointed in the prices?

I was thinking I would be able to get a base EB with PP for 27K, but looks like it will be 29K or over 30K with tax. The GT's are near 40K or more.

I know they are better cars every year and that's why the price keeps going up, but at what point will the majority of people start getting priced out? I bought an 03 Mach 1 for 29K, now, about ten years later a base 4 cylinder is more:crazy:

They are advertising base Camaro 6 cylinders here in my area for 20,400 dollars right now. Do you think this is going to affect sales to the non diehard mustang fans when they can get a base Camaro for 20K and the base Mustang I4 is 27K.

I just hope the I4 at least outruns the Camaro for that kind of money.
Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I'm getting a base EB with PP, manual for 28,300(tax, tags, title, out the door). Basically 1 1/2% under invoice. Also have two other local dealers saying they won't be undersold and can beat that price.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Wait until late 2015 MY or 2016 MY, I'm sure there will be some incentives bringing the price down closer to what you are looking for.

Doug

OP
OP

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
I'm getting a base EB with PP, manual for 28,300(tax, tags, title, out the door). Basically 1 1/2% under invoice. Also have two other local dealers saying they won't be undersold and can beat that price.
I want the auto so I'll be 29K but either way, still seems like an aweful lot of money...guess I'm getting old as everyone seems to think its great pricing:shrug:

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium

I was thinking I would be able to get a base EB with PP for 27K, but looks like it will be 29K or over 30K with tax. The GT's are near 40K or more.

I know they are better cars every year and that's why the price keeps going up, but at what point will the majority of people start getting priced out? I bought an 03 Mach 1 for 29K, now, about ten years later a base 4 cylinder is more:crazy:

They are advertising base Camaro 6 cylinders here in my area for 20,400 dollars right now. Do you think this is going to affect sales to the non diehard mustang fans when they can get a base Camaro for 20K and the base Mustang I4 is 27K.

Two parts to this: One, what you paid ten years ago really isn't germane to anything... ten years ago, you could get a new Corvette for less than I'm paying for a 2015 Mustang GT. That's not the case any more. Inflation is a thing.

Two, this ALWAYS happens with new model year cars -- your Chevy dealer is advertising that because they're selling the cars with incentives for far less than MSRP. If you can find any 2014 V6 Mustangs sitting around on lots, I'm sure you can buy them for $20K as well.

I could probably buy a 2014 GT equipped similarly to my 2015 GT for about $12K cheaper -- that's what happens with end-of-product-cycle cars.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I want the auto so I'll be 29K but either way, still seems like an aweful lot of money...guess I'm getting old as everyone seems to think its great pricing:shrug:
I'm getting a 440ish hp car with heated and cooled leather seats, navigation, blind spot warnings, full audio connectivity suites and high-power sound, keyless entry, rearview camera, and paddle shifters for $43K plus tax out the door.

The cars I was cross-shopping were the BMW M235i, the Corvette, and the Mercedes C63 AMG. Here are the prices for those cars similarly equipped to the GT I just ordered:

C63 AMG: $75,455
M235i: $51,400
Corvette: $61,005

In the end my choice was between the Mustang or the M235i. I went with the Mustang because of the awful things I've heard about BMW's reliability after the car goes off warranty. I'm perfectly happy with that decision.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Not really. The Mustang is a bargain when it comes to performance. As mentioned above cross-shop it with other vehicles with the same power and performance levels and you see its a bargain. :)

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT

Do you think this is going to affect sales to the non diehard mustang fans when they can get a base Camaro for 20K and the base Mustang I4 is 27K.

You are talking grapes and raisins, The I4 is the mid level car, not the base V6. It will run rings around that dried up raisin, cuz the EB is full of juice...lol

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
I got a 3700lb RWD iconic muscle car with an amazing motor, amazing transmission and probably an amazing rear end. With a fantastic interior, class yet modern exterior, racing seats and a exploding aftermarket and community for 40k.

I'd say I did alright for the price.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I wouldn't say I am disappointed, but I would say that the base prices are certainly higher than the last time I bought :)

I remember when I bought my '03 Mach 1 for MSRP back in 2002. At $29,000, it was the most expensive car I ever bought in my life, and I was saying the same thing to myself that you are now - isn't this kind of expensive?? I had to compare to the '03 Cobra to see it as value for the money.

I also said the same thing when I bought my 2010 GT - refreshed new model and the highly coveted '05-'09s had screaming deals causing me to say "isn't this kind of expensive?"

As mentioned above, we are in that new product cycle timing, and the current GTs (and other Mustangs) have screaming deals right now.To me, the money is worth the enjoyment I will get, rather than waiting until the incentives come out later.

On an absolute number basis though, $30,000 is that magic money mark for me still. This GT will be the most expensive car I've bought since I started purchasing them back in 1987. I'll consider this my "bargain Boss 302" otherwise I might get cold feet.

Regarding the sales impact in the price comparison you make, it's hard to say what would happen. The Mustang overall has been outsold by the Camaro for the past number of years enough that the new one (especially since it will be sold in other markets) probably will make a bigger splash overall.

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't add very much to the pricing. The GT's seem like a real good deal, as the base-to-base 2014/2015 comparison is only about $800 difference. I'd understand why EB buyers would think theirs is a little high, though.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I remember back in 1988 you could get a decked out GT for under $15k... but that is not really useful right now. The truth is they will price it where they need to sell the number they want to. If you are not willing to pay the price, the next guy will and if not then they will have to lower the price... basic Econ 101.

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT
My first brand new GT in 1984 was $12,500. The payments were 25% of my monthly income. The LE would be less than 7% if I financed the whole thing. So you 21 yr olds getting your first GT, don't fret the $200,000.00 GT in 2045.

t76turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Few...
I love mustangs. Have for a very long time. Have owned a couple over the years and will own another most likely with the 2015's. And I think in today's market the prices are fair considering previous models pricing. A little higher than I had hoped for at least for a fully loaded gt that I am looking at ordering.

But some of you are comparing Mercedes, BMW, and other high end cars with fabulous build quality and more exclusivity to a mustang. Just a mustang. Not even the gt500 etc.

I have owned most of the high end cars listed above except the corvette because I am just too large a man to fit comfortably at 6'6" and 260. I would not put the mustang in their category.

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
I can see both sides of the argument, but I agree with you OP. I was initially disappointed that the Mustang was as pricey as it was. I don't think it is a bad deal, but the ecoboost doesn't seem like a bargain to me either. I wanted to stay sub 30 for the EB premium plus PP. Perhaps that was way too unrealistic, but it came in a bit higher than I was hoping for.
Sponsored