Sponsored

Jalopnik: What's Causing This Strange 'Typewriter Tick' in the New Ford Mustang Engines

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hopefully the 2k RPM rattle starts making headlines too. I think that's a more concerning issue than the BBQ tick.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
The tick is normal as far as I know. Has anyone had any indication of proof that that noise is a sign of trouble? I don't think so. The rattle is more closely associated with piston clearance issues.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
upload_2019-1-18_15-41-41.jpeg

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The tick is normal as far as I know. Has anyone had any indication of proof that that noise is a sign of trouble? I don't think so. The rattle is more closely associated with piston clearance issues.
Finally someone knows something!

And what exactly do you know?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My only concern is so many people seem to get the "tick" then it either seems to grow louder and into something more, or they also get the rattle. Which makes me wonder how many people have a tick, but don't know there is added wear going on in their engine, and how many people have the tick, for extended miles, and are just fine.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
We can only hope the sort the rattle. They haven't sorted the tick in years.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Not just the new Mustangs. Plenty of 15s-17s have it as well including my 16.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Where has Jalopnik been since 2011 when the BBQ tick (typewriter tick) first appeared? Check out the info in the thread link below.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

When it makes websites like Jalopnik it will just scream at potential buyers doing a quick Google search. Ford has to address this pronto or this version of the Mustang will always have a “smell” about it...

I don’t own one but when the used value is 8,000 less (on cars with verified motor replacements) than the alread horrendous depreciation of Mustangs (which incidentally is the cost of a new crate motor), you are just killing potential sales. And yes that is what happened to me when I looked at upgrading...

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not just the new Mustangs. Plenty of 15s-17s have it as well including my 16.
The comments section was both interesting and funny. One of the funnier items is one guy trying to be serious about the issue and trying to correct all the other posters on what the issues could be. He was completely ignored and he seemed to give up. The prevailing theories in the comments was it could be the timing chain or the DI. All in all a mostly wasted article and request by the readers to try to solve it. There were some that also stated that their older model Mustangs tapped as well. Not sure much will come out of it.
When it makes websites like Jalopnik it will just scream at potential buyers doing a quick Google search. Ford has to address this pronto or this version of the Mustang will always have a “smell” about it...

I don’t own one but when the used value is 8,000 less (on cars with verified motor replacements) than the alread horrendous depreciation of Mustangs (which incidentally is the cost of a new crate motor), you are just killing potential sales. And yes that is what happened to me when I looked at upgrading...
Imagine how much greater a used one without a replacement motor will be worth since 95% seem to have been replaced. Instant collector's item. In other news the earth will end in the year 2000.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
The comments section was both interesting and funny. One of the funnier items is one guy trying to be serious about the issue and trying to correct all the other posters on what the issues could be. He was completely ignored and he seemed to give up. The prevailing theories in the comments was it could be the timing chain or the DI. All in all a mostly wasted article and request by the readers to try to solve it. There were some that also stated that their older model Mustangs tapped as well. Not sure much will come out of it.

Imagine how much greater a used one without a replacement motor will be worth since 95% seem to have been replaced. Instant collector's item. In other news the earth will end in the year 2000.
Yea, the comments were disappointing. Someone should post a link to this forum on the Jaloponik site.
If this were a DI problem, Ford would have issued a TSB from day one.

DoomyDoomer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That was me who wrote to Jalopnik. I agree the comments were all over the place but that's Jalopnik for you. I always enjoy that back and forth in their comments section though - gotta laugh, life's too damn short. I figured writing in to one of the more fun car blogs could help make headlines and they'd actually post it. I didn't expect them to ask their audience but didn't bother me none.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
That was me who wrote to Jalopnik. I agree the comments were all over the place but that's Jalopnik for you. I always enjoy that back and forth in their comments section though - gotta laugh, life's too damn short. I figured writing in to one of the more fun car blogs could help make headlines and they'd actually post it. I didn't expect them to ask their audience but didn't bother me none.
Thank you. The main thing is that these issues get publicity. And the more the better.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you. The main thing is that these issues get publicity. And the more the better.
Publicity is good, however Jalopnik is not a great site. I stopped visiting it quite a while ago as I found their articles very opinionated. It was rare to see one that was not the authors slanted view. You can tell the type of readers just based on the comments on that article. Also the story itself was something you would see from the eighth grade school lunch room....just really bad. Now if it were an investigative article with some real facts and comments from Ford, that would be worth its weight in gold. All it had was one lousy clip of an engine running and some comments from the poster. At least there were some commenters that said you can't deduce anything just from listening to it.

It would be great if Ford responds to their inquiry, but my opinion is that sadly, this will fade away and nothing will come from it
Sponsored