Halfshaft durability with a mt82

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Hey guys, I've got a 2018 6 speed 301a car that I plan on taking to the strip a lot. It'll probably never go out on drag radials or slicks (Probably).

How much do I need to worry about drivetrain breakage?
I saw on LMR they have the gt350 halfshafts for pretty cheap. Are those different/ better/ worth having?

I've already done the BMR cb-005 kit because I was seeing wheelhop on my base tires in 34 degree weather. Is there more I should do to my daily driver to help wheelhop?
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
Wheel hop is your enemy.... make smooth launches with no wheel hop, you wont have an issue.

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys, I've got a 2018 6 speed 301a car that I plan on taking to the strip a lot. It'll probably never go out on drag radials or slicks (Probably).

How much do I need to worry about drivetrain breakage?
I saw on LMR they have the gt350 halfshafts for pretty cheap. Are those different/ better/ worth having?

I've already done the BMR cb-005 kit because I was seeing wheelhop on my base tires in 34 degree weather. Is there more I should do to my daily driver to help wheelhop?
I had a ton of passes on street tires w/ stock half shafts. Kill the wheelhop and you're golden. Couple suspension bits, ditch the stock tires and grab some decent performance tires and wheelhop is no big deal. Bias ply tires will be the best bet for safety though.

That said, I switched the gt350 axles just to see if they were decent. I'll put them through some stress tests this season. We'll see if they hold up to a boosted car.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
If your going to the track and run any kind of sticky tire u better get axles.

KYLExKILLJOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 years, 2003 Mach 1 D1sc, 2002 4.2L
Also never had a problem with street tires and mt82, however I'm going to be running a radial soon so I did an upgrade just to make sure they don't send me home.

Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Once you upgrade the axles, the next thing to break is either the irs housing (automatics) or the bolts mounting the pumpkin to the irs subframe (manuals). Obviously will take sticky tires and some power but it will happen.

Tony

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had a ton of passes on street tires w/ stock half shafts. Kill the wheelhop and you're golden. Couple suspension bits, ditch the stock tires and grab some decent performance tires and wheelhop is no big deal. Bias ply tires will be the best bet for safety though.

That said, I switched the gt350 axles just to see if they were decent. I'll put them through some stress tests this season. We'll see if they hold up to a boosted car.

I know I this is an old thread, but how did the axles hold up over this past race season?

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know I this is an old thread, but how did the axles hold up over this past race season?
Well, i'll tell ya what, they lasted longer than my mt82 lol. I ended up grenading the manual trans after 8 or so passes. Axles did their job though. I then did an auto swap and had a ton of passes the whole rest of the summer and they were fine then too.

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Well, i'll tell ya what, they lasted longer than my mt82 lol. I ended up grenading the manual trans after 8 or so passes. Axles did their job though. I then did an auto swap and had a ton of passes the whole rest of the summer and they were fine then too.
That sucks about your mt82. What type of tire and clutch were you using? I guess it's a positive that the shafts held up.

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That sucks about your mt82. What type of tire and clutch were you using? I guess it's a positive that the shafts held up.
I was using MT ET street R bias ply. The clutch was my issue, i smoked my stock one and went w/ the Exedy Hyper Twin. It's way too harsh for the mt82 in my opinion.

Sponsored

grabber_17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was using MT ET street R bias ply. The clutch was my issue, i smoked my stock one and went w/ the Exedy Hyper Twin. It's way too harsh for the mt82 in my opinion.
I was thinking of staying away from any ceramic disc clutches maybe go with an RST. After buying a Whipple this christmas, I definitely don't want to rebuild a trans immediately lol

Gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
In the same spot re. tires street vs track. Wanted to do DR's for the street, bias for the track, but wondering if anyone's broke a half shalf on a stick car w/ DR's on the street. Made a post about it yesterday, hasn't received much feedback yet.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
In the same spot re. tires street vs track. Wanted to do DR's for the street, bias for the track, but wondering if anyone's broke a half shalf on a stick car w/ DR's on the street. Made a post about it yesterday, hasn't received much feedback yet.
I know a bloke who broke the stock axles on the strip with DRs
He then fitted Ford Racing shafts and broke them on the strip with bias plies...
NA, no wheelhop, just too much grip.
Not sure about stock shafts/DR/public road though sorry.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I "Light to Light" some with -1.6 camber in the rear. So, it's not a street car setup per se, but I dig really hard on Firehawk's in 255/45/18's. 48,600 miles and no worries. Just changed diff fluid to B&G Ultra-Guard 75w 140w LS kit for assurance in the twisty's where the car really shines. Last test was a 55 roll w/370 Z. No problems with shafts for me. Going to aluminum driveshaft soon, the 1 piece will help with quicker shifts.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I am glad to see this thread because after my runs Friday night I want to go with DRs and worry about the stock half shafts once I get those on there and add in suspension parts.
Sponsored