California New 2019 Law!!!

MCF84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
The real question is, can you still smog a vehicle with any sort of modified exhaust in CA?
Sponsored

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
If I could "like" this 10x I would. A few more BS laws like this and I'll be in TX. I've already thought about it twice...And my company has an office in Dallas and Houston.
Houston is a dumpster fire and Dallas has become almost as bad as most places in CA thanks to out of staters.

I'd take dallas over texas any day tho (I live north of Dallas in a nice suburb)

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The real question is, can you still smog a vehicle with any sort of modified exhaust in CA?
There are things that you would think are legal, but aren't. Catch cans, cold air intakes and so on are not legal unless the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has ble$$ed them. Once CARB has given the "OK" you get an exemption order (EO Code) which is supposed to be placed on the car so a police officer or state referee can see them.

All of this is hyperbole though because if the police officer doesn't think something is right, then you go to the state ref anyways. I've never went to a ref, but from what I understand they are car guys, they are nice, but they definitely know what is legit and what isn't.

How a 727HP blower is okay but a cold air intake is not is a real head scratcher. More power means more fuel burned, no if ands or buts. But whatever, I'll get my smog legal blower soon enough.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Houston is a dumpster fire and Dallas has become almost as bad as most places in CA thanks to out of staters.

I'd take dallas over texas any day tho (I live north of Dallas in a nice suburb)
One of my co-workers lives in Wylie and he likes it a lot. He said it is about an hour's drive into downtown Dallas. Phoenix residents hate us Cali people as well because we tend to drive up the property values (Even though existing homeowners should actually like it).

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like a total traitor even saying this, but I'll be honest, I didn't know this until the day of closing on my first house. Sadly, it was built on the remains of Riverside Raceway, one of the (I'm told) best tracks out here in it's day. I know Carroll Shelby raced there quite a bit and I did see parts of "The love bug" filmed on it.

These are the same people that complain about people racing at all. Racing on the streets is foolish and illegal, and is the main reason these laws are here, but one thing should be said about providing a safe affordable place to enjoy the hobby. Pointing to Thermal (et al.) isn't a realistic option, and the few "available" road courses here are extremely busy (Not a lot of open track days) and somewhat expensive.
I'm an advocate of reserving the use of "love" for living beings, principally human, but there is plenty of online evidence that Riverside International Raceway stimulated feelings very close to Love. Thousands were enraptured by activities there, as documented in a host of RIR- oriented Web and FaceBook pages. For a start, go to FB "Remembering Riverside", and my pages (lots of links) :

http://0398ca9.netsolhost.com/rirpicts.htm

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm an advocate of reserving the use of "love" for living beings, principally human, but there is plenty of online evidence that Riverside International Raceway stimulated feelings very close to Love. Thousands were enraptured by activities there, as documented in a host of RIR- oriented Web and FaceBook pages. For a start, go to FB "Remembering Riverside", and my pages (lots of links) :

http://0398ca9.netsolhost.com/rirpicts.htm
Man that is an awesome page. Yeah, if I had to guess, my old house was right at the "kink" on the long straightaway.

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
So, has anybody received tickets for their exhausts?

Have not kept up on this topic for a while.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yes my buddy with his Challenger did. Gave him modified emission. He only has catback exhaust. He had to go to state ref and they told him we don't care about cat back or removed mufflers. As long as you have your cats you are fine. They smogged his car and checked other emission stuff and has passed. I believe he paid around $150 for the smog and other fees.

Ashiq73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6 Speed Magnetic Metallic
Well that's good to hear.

Sure it sux that he had to pay that $150 but still better then having to completely remove his exhaust and go back to stock or something.

Thanks for the update, That makes me feel a little bit better.

I have axle backs, so hopefully I should be ok.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
so far so good, I drive my car everyday for my therapy sessions lol. 2500 miles logged. every time I see a cop though, I go back to normal exhaust mode.

might be doing dark tints in the next few days so that may cause some problems. can't decide if I want to go air 70 all the way around, or are 70 on the windshield and 20% all the way around.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Forgot to add, reason he got pulled over because he had tinted windows 3%.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have 35% and I think is more than enough. Never had any problems with the orange county pd.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
So, has anybody received tickets for their exhausts?

Have not kept up on this topic for a while.
The law was repealed about a month after it went into effect due to public outrage.

Another example of how our elected officials are just out of touch with their constituents. The hate that the author went through on Social Media was pretty funny too.
Sponsored