Bullitt Gearbox Lubricant

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Hope this isn't a dupe ... paged through all the threads and didn't see one so here goes.

When I got my '08 Bullitt, I thought the (vaunted Tremec) gearbox was a little 'notchy.' Posted on a forum--maybe this one, but maybe not--and was advised to try Royal Purple Synchromax. Installed it, and after a while it felt like the gearbox was a little smoother; yeah, confirmation bias and all that but, apparently, the fluid somehow 'conditions' the gears and synchros. Flushed and refilled and the gearbox was going strong--on original clutch and brakes--at 135K miles, so maybe there was something to it (flushed and refilled again at about 100K). Note my other two fun cars are old British iron, so I've gotten pretty good at persuading the lever into gears (I've seen the wear on brass shift forks). The Getrag feels OK to me so far, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried a different fluid--Synchromax or other--and what the results are?

Great forum, BTW. Some real car lovers here.

Bob
Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I don’t have a Bullitt but I have a 18 GT PP1, and I believe it’s the same transmission. I will be doing a fluid swap tomorrow. I’m doing the cocktail mix that Ben Calimer recommends. 2qts of AMSOIL SyncroMesh and .75qts of AMSOIL Transmission and axle fluid 75w90. I’ll report back tomorrow with results.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Some swear by BG Synchro Shift II. I'm interested in Ravenol MT-2. It carries the Ford spec, and is a true synthetic.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Some swear by BG Synchro Shift II. I'm interested in Ravenol MT-2. It carries the Ford spec, and is a true synthetic.
I've always used Redline MTL in my BMW Getrag gearboxes (the German built 6-speed of the Chinese copy we have in the Bullits) , but the Mustang community seems to be in love with the BG Synchro Shift II oil. I drained and refilled with BG at about 800 miles, and although it's a definite improvement over the OE fill, the trans still nibbles a bit when cold, and now makes a **little** noise at no load (not coasting, not accelerating)

The next time I have the Bullitt up on my lift, i'm going to drain the BG (and save it!!) and try my trusted MTL since I have a gallon of it left from my last manual trans BMW.

Very interested in hearing if you try the Ravenol, and how you like it. I don't think the Chinese MT-82 clone of the German Getrag is ever going to be as nice as the Bimmer's transmission. But it's fine, no big deal.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I've always used Redline MTL in my BMW Getrag gearboxes (the German built 6-speed of the Chinese copy we have in the Bullits) , but the Mustang community seems to be in love with the BG Synchro Shift II oil. I drained and refilled with BG at about 800 miles, and although it's a definite improvement over the OE fill, the trans still nibbles a bit when cold, and now makes a **little** noise at no load (not coasting, not accelerating)

The next time I have the Bullitt up on my lift, i'm going to drain the BG (and save it!!) and try my trusted MTL since I have a gallon of it left from my last manual trans BMW.

Very interested in hearing if you try the Ravenol, and how you like it. I don't think the Chinese MT-82 clone of the German Getrag is ever going to be as nice as the Bimmer's transmission. But it's fine, no big deal.
Let us know how the MTL works. I have MT-90 in both my Austin-Healeys; it definitely makes for smoother shifting and quicker overdrive engagement compared the the 'stock' fill (basically, any oil you had laying around the shop ;))

Sponsored

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
I'm expecting to change it early April, and will report back.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I switched out the oil with that amsoil mix and the difference is major. Shifts are incredibly smoother, also I used to have a hard time shifting into second when punching it and now it’s smooth and no lock out. I highly recommend swapping your oil out in the transmission!

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.

Put the Ravenol in today. It seems a little smoother, but it's not a huge difference over the stock fluid. The Ravenol seems thinner, and the shifts feel more direct and less cushioned. It's hard to describe. Hindsight is 20-20, and IMO, the change is not worth the time and cost.

My Bullitt tranny is a night-and day difference from the MT-82 that was in my 2012 GTCS, as a result of all the changes Ford made over the years. I lived with that early design for 7 years and hated every minute of it. I'm very happy with the way the MT-82 D4 works, other than the ratio spacing. I do wish they would have made the ratios closer to those of the GT350, which I think are perfect.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Put the Ravenol in today. It seems a little smoother, but it's not a huge difference over the stock fluid. The Ravenol seems thinner, and the shifts feel more direct and less cushioned. It's hard to describe. Hindsight is 20-20, and IMO, the change is not worth the time and cost.

My Bullitt tranny is a night-and day difference from the MT-82 that was in my 2012 GTCS, as a result of all the changes Ford made over the years. I lived with that early design for 7 years and hated every minute of it. I'm very happy with the way the MT-82 D4 works, other than the ratio spacing. I do wish they would have made the ratios closer to those of the GT350, which I think are perfect.
I love the spacing, its nearly exactly like the 5spd 3650 I had in my Mach1, just +.1 in all gears and a gear added between 4th and 5th. Makes driving the BULLITT feel like home to me.
Sponsored