Sponsored

Has anyone compounded/waxed/polished and had color transfer?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, any Ford product from 1990 forward is always base/clearcoat. Therefore if an owner applies (by hand or mechanically) any type of compound, wax or polish product and removes same (by hand or mechanically) the microfiber or bonnet should not contain any body color transfer....

Correct?

Has anyone with a 2015-2019 experienced any body color transfer onto a light colored microfiber or bonnet when removing product?
Sponsored

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, any Ford product from 1990 forward is always base/clearcoat. Therefore if an owner applies (by hand or mechanically) any type of compound, wax or polish product and removes same (by hand or mechanically) the microfiber or bonnet should not contain any body color transfer....

Correct?

Has anyone with a 2015-2019 experienced any body color transfer onto a light colored microfiber or bonnet when removing product?
Yes,... rubbing out a blemish left a light red color on the micro fiber towel . But I have a ruby red car in which I believe the clear coat is tinted.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes,... rubbing out a blemish left a light red color on the micro fiber towel . But I have a ruby red car in which I believe the clear coat is tinted.
Ha!!

Same here, was doing same exact action (blem removal by hand), same body color and same thing happened!

That’s why I asked, because I never expected it, was totally surprised and it never happened with my prior 2016, which was also Ruby Red....

I’m not sure what’s going on, but I thought the clear layer was clear with no tint?

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby gt500 vert tungsten grey stripe delete black/red int.,2019 GT 400a PP1 A10 spoiler delete RR coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ha!!

Same here, was doing same exact action (blem removal by hand), same body color and same thing happened!

That’s why I asked, because I never expected it, was totally surprised and it never happened with my prior 2016, which was also Ruby Red....

I’m not sure what’s going on, but I thought the clear layer was clear with no tint?
I was using Meguiar’s cleaner wax to remove a surface blemish from shipping when I noticed it. With this color you just have to be very conservative with any kind of compounds as to not create any thin spots in the tinted clear. I’m just going to try to layer as many wax coats as possible to help protect it. It’s definitely a tinted clear coat though.
F1B345A4-4E19-45A9-967D-4A86C9518FC8.jpeg

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
This can happen if the manufacturer tints the clear coat the color of the paint. Infiniti did this on the red G37s. For some reason red cars get this treatment the most. Not sure why really probably makes the color pop more. When I compunded my G the pads were completely red. Nothing to worry about. It's actually better because you can see how much clear you removed by the amount of color transfer to your pads. Not sure if Ford does tinted clear or not.

Actually just saw the above post. There you have it, tinted clear coat!

You don't have to be any more careful with this clear than non tinted clear. If your doing compound/polishing work you should have a quality paint depth gauge anyways so there is no guessing how much clear is left / been taken away.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Same here, Ruby Red buffing leaves color on the rag/buffer,
Be careful, because the tinted clearcoat is part of the overall color. taking too much off may alter the color of the car in that one spot... I had to have my hood replaced due to iron contamination causing paint bubbling...I talked at length to the the painter...Ruby Red base is a dull blah color, and the technique to paint is to add tinted clear coat layers over the base until the paint matches the rest of the car...so taking some clear off may change the color if you are too aggressive.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
No the color is actually called Ruby Red Tintcoat.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If the paint is a tinted clear, you will get some color on the pad which is no different than polishing a clear just you can't see it.

Snakes&horses

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here, Ruby Red buffing leaves color on the rag/buffer,
Be careful, because the tinted clearcoat is part of the overall color. taking too much off may alter the color of the car in that one spot... I had to have my hood replaced due to iron contamination causing paint bubbling...I talked at length to the the painter...Ruby Red base is a dull blah color, and the technique to paint is to add tinted clear coat layers over the base until the paint matches the rest of the car...so taking some clear off may change the color if you are too aggressive.
Exactly right! Tinted clear is NOT the same as straight clear. For example, you could have 2 or 7 layers of straight clear and it wouldn’t change the hue of a color however if you had for example a gold base which you then proceeded to add layers of a tinted clear like red each layer changes the hue. So if you had a door let’s say that received 2 layers of the tinted clear and a hood that received 5 layers of the tinted clear they would 100% NOT match. The hood would appear darker. How do I know? A - I learned the hard way on my 91 mustang that had a tinted green clear coat when I tried to lightly wet sand and buff out a light scratch that left a thin spot in the tinted clear. I didn’t realize it was tinted until it was too late. Chalked it up to being young and inexperienced and B - I’ve been building and painting model cars for close to 40 years and painting principles that apply to full size cars also applies to scaled down model cars minus the full size time and expense lol.
Sponsored