Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I guess they skipped the flat plane crank for the GT500 right?
Correct. I “eavesdropped” on an interview Carl W. was doing with American Muscle and heard him say that not only is the crankshaft different (cross-planed), but the heads, valves, valve seats, and many other components are different as compared to the Voodoo. The AM guy asked him if 5.2SC used forged rods. He deflected the question and said more details on the engine will come later.
Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I think given what they did for the gt350, and the base msrp ( wasn't it like 51-ish?) you can already add 12k to that for the DCT alone, thats just what they cost, especially a new design. Given the areas that are unique, and the areas that are NOT unique, or AS unique, I would like to see a base gt500 and could realistically see it, starting at 67k. With the options i want, not track pack, since i want the rear seat, and i dont need CF wheels, and a moderate ADM, this car is attainable to most enthusiasts, if it stays under 80k. If its above that, those of us that CAN actually afford it, AND ready to buy it, have other options out there that look just as appealing. IE 997's. because that what ive been cross-shopping for a year now, waiting on this release, a TT GT350, or a lightly used 997.1

My main question is, did I miss the base model? did I miss the packages and options listed anywhere? Ive been scouring for those details but all Im coming across is false predictions by LARPERS and transmission debates from people that could never afford the thing anyway

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Correct. I “eavesdropped” on an interview Carl W. was doing with American Muscle and heard him say that not only is the crankshaft different (cross-planed), but the heads, valves, valve seats, and many other components are different as compared to the Voodoo. The AM guy asked him if 5.2SC used forged rods. He deflected the question and said more details on the engine will come later.
I see there's also talk (I guess unconfirmed at this point ...) that the GT500 block will used in the GT350 because of better cooling, some other design improvements - but I think the most interesting thing about that rumor is it suggests another year (or more) of GT350 production.

My min question is, did I miss the base model? did I miss the packages and options listed anywhere? Ive been scouring for those details but all Im coming across is false predictions by LARPERS and transmission debates from people that could never afford the thing anyway
So I believe this is correct:

Base (not really a "stripper" so to speak, it's kind of the only model variant)

Packages:

- Performance, which swaps the base wing for one with a Gurney flap (like the new GT350 wing), and adjustable top mounts on the shocks
- Carbon Track, which swaps the wing for the CF model shown, wheels for CF wheels + R-comp tires, removes the rear seat, also has the adjustable mounts

The only option is to upgrade to the B&O audio system, but the base car is loaded, Sync 3, 12" LCD dash, etc.

My guesses on price:

Base, $69,779 (before GGT)
Performance, +$1995
CF Track, + $11,995

Anyway, that makes a CFT model ~$84K with a couple of thousand tacked on for the GGT, plus potentially whatever the B&O option is (if that's even available on the CFT model, maybe $1500-2K? Not sure if there's an example in the current Ford product line).

Oh yeah, that makes the "real world" cost given the ADM we will likely see about, probably more like $110K-115K OTD :shock:

Last edited:

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
My impression as well regarding the crank, just by hearing the engine idle and rev. Sounds different than the GT350, aside from the charger whine, and I can't decide if I like it more. The engine is less of a screamer too, seeing it redlines somewhere around 7500 rpm?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The coyote (gen 2 on) and voodoo have forged rods and cranks. There's no reason it wouldn't either.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The coyote (gen 2 on) and voodoo have forged rods and cranks. There's no reason it wouldn't either.
I would tend to agree. That’s why I was surprised Carl W. deflected the question. Would have been so much easier to just say “yes”.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would tend to agree. That’s why I was surprised Carl W. deflected the question. Would have been so much easier to just say “yes”.
I'd go so far as to say that it may also have forged pistons. But those have some customer sat issues with daily use.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
So I believe this is correct:

Base (not really a "stripper" so to speak, it's kind of the only model variant)

Packages:

- Performance, which swaps the base wing for one with a Gurney flap (like the new GT350 wing), and adjustable top mounts on the shocks
- Carbon Track, which swaps the wing for the CF model shown, wheels for CF wheels + R-comp tires, removes the rear seat, also has the adjustable mounts

The only option is to upgrade to the B&O audio system, but the base car is loaded, Sync 3, 12" LCD dash, etc.

My guesses on price:

Base, $69,779 (before GGT)
Performance, +$1995
CF Track, + $11,995

Anyway, that makes a CFT model ~$84K with a couple of thousand tacked on for the GGT, plus potentially whatever the B&O option is (if that's even available on the CFT model, maybe $1500-2K? Not sure if there's an example in the current Ford product line).

Oh yeah, that makes the "real world" cost given the ADM we will likely see about, probably more like $110K-115K OTD :shock:
Thank you, exactly the info i was looking for. makes it easy for me, performance pack :) now just need a price and a decent color

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think it looks phenomenal and should be exciting to see the performance data when it is available.

Just out of curiosity, I texted the salesman at Ford I've been dealing with for the past 4 years and he asked the owner of the dealership about the price of the car and what to expect. Apparently, the owner said since it's going to be limited production model it's probably going to go for $100,000 lol.
Maybe for the carbon car. I would doubt MSRP is higher than $80k for the base.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe for the carbon car. I would doubt MSRP is higher than $80k for the base.
That's true, I still think they will mark up all the models including the base.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Thank you, exactly the info i was looking for. makes it easy for me, performance pack :) now just need a price and a decent color
Oh yeah, I forgot about it until you mentioned color: there's apparently two options for stripes - vinyl, like currently on various models - and now, actual painted stripes! I'd guess the painted stripes would run closer to $1500-2000 or more if they're end-to-end. Vinyl on a GT350 (for reference) is $475, a painted roof is $695 - I know Dodge does $995 on their stripes and $1995 for a painted hood (Challenger so it's a __big__ hood).

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I “eavesdropped” on an interview Carl W. was doing with American Muscle...The AM guy asked him if 5.2SC used forged rods. He deflected the question and said more details on the engine will come later.
That’s why I was surprised Carl W. deflected the question. Would have been so much easier to just say “yes”.
This one drives me nuts. At the core of the issue is a matter of the nomenclature not being distinct enough. Historically, a "forged" connecting rod meant that it had been drop forged so as to increase its density via a change in grain, etc. Manufacturers used this type of forged rod for decades. Ford, and other manufacturers started using powder forged connecting rods (for example, in the initial modular engines to start) as among other things, it greatly reduced costs. The issue from a performance perspective was that of strength, especially early on. Hence Coletti successfully arguing in favor of a much more expensive connecting rod in the Cobra during his tenure. That said, Tier suppliers such as Metaldyne, Mahle, etc, have made great strides in terms of the strength of cracked powder forgings.

The issue becomes one of some referencing a given engine's connecting rods as forged but not delineating between the two. I witnessed this first hand with the engineers directly responsible for the Voodoo 5.2L engine when it was revealed to the press. We made sure to press them on this, the process, the alloy, etc. Take a quick look at the video from when we were there when Eric Ladner talks about the rod and piston combination used on the GT350's engine. Watch at about the 17:24 mark...

The rods used in the GT500 engine likely have a fractured cap as well as there are numerous savings to be had from a cost standpoint in addition to accuracy in terms of locating the cap to form a finished rod assembly. I stayed in contact with Adam Christian after the reveal and it was then that he told me that the alloy was 46Mn (which I believe he was was just generically quoting and that the full alloy is 46MnVS6). I'm fairly certain the GT500 connecting rod, while likely configured/ribbed to meet the strength requirements engineers deemed necessary, is of the same alloy as well. So the process is detailed and not as simple as it used to be when differentiating amongst various types of connecting rods. Carl probably would have preferred to defer to the individuals that worked directly on the rods themselves, hence avoiding giving the type of response many are looking for.

I'd go so far as to say that it may also have forged pistons.
They'll be forged, absolutely.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
5.2 liter heavy-breathing 7500rpm supercharged powerplant... the question isn't how much horsepower it has, it is how much horsepower does it need..?

Answer: none-more. (ie Nigel Tuffnel)

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@Epiphany,
Not to change the subject.... What is your view when it comes to Tremec in GT 500, in comparison to 7DCL750?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This one drives me nuts. At the core of the issue is a matter of the nomenclature not being distinct enough. Historically, a "forged" connecting rod meant that it had been drop forged so as to increase its density via a change in grain, etc. Manufacturers used this type of forged rod for decades. Ford, and other manufacturers started using powder forged connecting rods (for example, in the initial modular engines to start) as among other things, it greatly reduced costs. The issue from a performance perspective was that of strength, especially early on. Hence Coletti successfully arguing in favor of a much more expensive connecting rod in the Cobra during his tenure. That said, Tier suppliers such as Metaldyne, Mahle, etc, have made great strides in terms of the strength of cracked powder forgings.

The issue becomes one of some referencing a given engine's connecting rods as forged but not delineating between the two. I witnessed this first hand with the engineers directly responsible for the Voodoo 5.2L engine when it was revealed to the press. We made sure to press them on this, the process, the alloy, etc. Take a quick look at the video from when we were there when Eric Ladner talks about the rod and piston combination used on the GT350's engine. Watch at about the 17:24 mark...

The rods used in the GT500 engine likely have a fractured cap as well as there are numerous savings to be had from a cost standpoint in addition to accuracy in terms of locating the cap to form a finished rod assembly. I stayed in contact with Adam Christian after the reveal and it was then that he told me that the alloy was 46Mn (which I believe he was was just generically quoting and that the full alloy is 46MnVS6). I'm fairly certain the GT500 connecting rod, while likely configured/ribbed to meet the strength requirements engineers deemed necessary, is of the same alloy as well. So the process is detailed and not as simple as it used to be when differentiating amongst various types of connecting rods. Carl probably would have preferred to defer to the individuals that worked directly on the rods themselves, hence avoiding giving the type of response many are looking for.

They'll be forged, absolutely.
This is the same as many 13L-15L Class 8 diesel rods. It's a very cool technology.
Sponsored