Sponsored

2018 GT 6MT Grinding Noise When Releasing the Clutch

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's definitely from "feathering" the clutch in my case. I knew that from the start. I just thought there was a problem since my '15 didn't do it. I'm guessing it didn't have a DCT???

I still think it shouldn't do it, no matter what clutch it has.
Just a note...it's not a DCT, it's a "twin disc" manual clutch. It has two friction discs and a floater plate in between. That floater basically allows for more feathering and slower engagement over a larger distance without it grabbing so hard all at once like a heavy duty single disc. The idea being you can feather it a little more for smoother engagement with more surface area, allowing for more torque and longer life (also easier to operate). The drawback, is they readily make more noise due to the design.
Sponsored

Last edited:

G_Money_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PREM PP
It's definitely from "feathering" the clutch in my case. I knew that from the start. I just thought there was a problem since my '15 didn't do it.

I still think it shouldn't do it, no matter what clutch it has.
This is exactly my thoughts. I also had a 2015. I've got 7,200 miles on the clock, I really need to take it in, just can't get the time.

OP
OP

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had a 2015 GT as well. No issues with that car although the clutch is indeed different. Like I said earlier, I drove 5-6 other 2018 GTs none of which were grinding during high rpm shifts. I drove them the same way I drive my car. The two GT350s I drove last month also have a twin disc clutch and didn't grind. Again, drove them the same way I drive my car. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to find any reports of GT350 clutch grinding during high rpm shifts on these forums. For comparison there have been about a dozen reports of clutch grinding in 2018+ GTs here on the forums. If it was "normal", the majority of owners would be reporting some level of grinding since everyone will "feather" the clutch from time to time and we'd have another 100+ page thread on this issue similar to the 2k rpm rattle and the bbq tick threads.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine sounds like that too when shifting at high rpm. After I started having a mild slippage issue on the highway, they replaced my clutch with a brand new one.
What conditions were making the clutch slip, the typical high gear + low rpm load or something else?

My clutch also grinds like this at high RPM. I haven't even really given it a second thought, though. As it was explained to me, the discs don't rotate at the same speed, and one bites before the other. The chirp happens when the two discs sync up. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts smelling or slipping. Plenty of other threads, unrelated to the mustang, about noisy twin disc clutches. Dual mass flywheels can also have their share of awkward sounds.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just had my long block replaced and I asked the mechanic to look at the clutch and flywheel while everything was pulled apart. He said everything was fine but he put it back together better than ford because it's not grinding any more. I tried hard to make it grind and I can't duplicate. Definitely have Ford report it.
Same experience, sort of. Mine still grinds but the clutch just feels so much better after the longblock replacement. It just felt loose and sloppy before. Who's assembling these cars?

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What conditions were making the clutch slip, the typical high gear + low rpm load or something else?

My clutch also grinds like this at high RPM. I haven't even really given it a second thought, though. As it was explained to me, the discs don't rotate at the same speed, and one bites before the other. The chirp happens when the two discs sync up. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts smelling or slipping. Plenty of other threads, unrelated to the mustang, about noisy twin disc clutches. Dual mass flywheels can also have their share of awkward sounds.
Yes, it was the typical highway speed in 6th gear low RPM. I noticed it started running about 100rpm over normal at 65mph. Also started to smell up my garage when I would get home from work. Like when you leave the E-brake on and drive around. When he took it apart, he found a few leafs on the diaphragm spring slightly bent out of shape, and the pressure didn't feel right. Probably just a bad spring from the factory. So, the tech replaced the whole thing, flywheel and all. New clutch feels stronger when pressed, and been running good ever since.

What_is_slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Plus PP1 MT
Hey guys, not sure if this has already been mentioned somewhere but I cannot find it when I searched the forum. Also, not sure if this is relevant for this thread but there is a law firm who is trying to gather information about the 2011-2019 manual transmissions to possibly start a class action. They are specifically referring to noise while shifting. I contacted them to get more information. If anyone is interested, the law firms number is 1(888)500-0000. They claim that you will not be charged for their time, nor does a phone call make you their client. The only information I found about this was on Facebook. If you search “11-19 mustang drefective transmission”, it should bring up the post. The post photo has a red 2018/2019 and a circular photo of the manual transmission as seen from the drivers perspective. I have not verbally spoken with anyone at the firm, and they do not have anything about this investigation on their website. If anyone has trouble finding it let me know. Or if anyone possibly has any info they can share, I know I would appreciate it. This is the first manual car I’ve had in over 12 years, and the others were a 93 geo prism and a 4 cylinder 1990 Toyota pickup. There are clunks and noises I am unsure are normal due to my inexperience, but if there are known issues or if this is normal, either way I would like to know. I will give the firm a call today and see what I find out about it, and share my experience.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
LMAO, I'm just going to leave this here, straight from our manuals:

"Note: Failure to fully press the clutch pedal
to the floor may cause increased shift
efforts, prematurely wear transmission
components or damage the transmission.

During each shift, the clutch pedal must
be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the
floor mat is properly positioned so it
doesn't interfere with the full extension of
the clutch pedal."
This! Especially on a new car.

Can't say I have any noises on low or high RPM. Sometimes the gear is hard to put in that's just because the trans hasn't broken in and doesn't let me smoothly put it into gear. Looking to change out the manual transmission fluid this summer to alliviate this. Did the same on my 17 honda civic SI and it was an immediate improvement. Clutch grabs hard, with no noises and I can shift it quickly and almost like an automatic thanks to the twin disks.

At 1k miles i will switch all fluids over to amsoil. Trans, engine, and Diff, and flush brake fluid with dot 4. Always do this on all my new cars and it makes them even better than brand new off the lot.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just throw the car away, drive it straight to the junk yard and have it crushed. It ticks, grinds and rattles. It's a CAR! With a 460 horsepower V8. It's going to make noises.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
IDK - I have had my car on the track, shifting at 7300 rpm and I did not get the grind, although I was wearing a helmet that made it harder to hear. I never noticed it on the street either. Now that I am listening for it I will probably hear it all the time lol.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Just throw the car away, drive it straight to the junk yard and have it crushed. It ticks, grinds and rattles. It's a CAR! With a 460 horsepower V8. It's going to make noises.
Agreed. Tired of all these whiny posters.

What_is_slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Plus PP1 MT
Agreed. Tired of all these whiny posters.
As a first time mustang owner, I find this type of information found in this thread useful. If there is a potential defect with the car, I would rather have it taken care of in advance. Can some of the posts come off as whiny? Yes. Do you have to read them and then comment for your own amusement? No. These forums are supposed to be beneficial for everyone envolved who has a passion for their vehicles. Whether it’s a “noob” question (which we have all had at one point or another) or if it’s something that someone may be overly concerned about, they are supposed to help other owners communicate positively. I’m not referring to debates either btw. I’m referring to the irrelevant one liners complaining about people just to get attention. Please don’t start treating this forum like reddit. Take that negativity somewhere else. Thanks.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
As a first time mustang owner, I find this type of information found in this thread useful. If there is a potential defect with the car, I would rather have it taken care of in advance. Can some of the posts come off as whiny? Yes. Do you have to read them and then comment for your own amusement? No. These forums are supposed to be beneficial for everyone envolved who has a passion for their vehicles. Whether it’s a “noob” question (which we have all had at one point or another) or if it’s something that someone may be overly concerned about, they are supposed to help other owners communicate positively. I’m not referring to debates either btw. I’m referring to the irrelevant one liners complaining about people just to get attention. Please don’t start treating this forum like reddit. Take that negativity somewhere else. Thanks.
My friend first of all I have the same car as you and absolutely love it.

I came to this site on cloud 9 then found based on idiots:
- shift forks breaking
- tick central. Every other thread is a god damn tick thread.
- rattle sounds
- BBB buy back
- 17s are better
And many more. I love the Getrag.

90% of issues reported are non issues by a bunch of anal idiots. Even the buy backs are only for noises and no engine failures. This site makes you happy? It makes me happy when I’m absent. I wish I never discovered this site. Everyone complaining about the most minutia.

Anyhow I love your car and mine. If something fails I’ll take it in. If the engine fails outside of warranty I’ll have it pro built.

The mustang rocks and is so much better than the camaro and dodges.

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
My friend first of all I have the same car as you and absolutely love it.

I came to this site on cloud 9 then found based on idiots:
- shift forks breaking
- tick central. Every other thread is a god damn tick thread.
- rattle sounds
- BBB buy back
- 17s are better
And many more. I love the Getrag.

90% of issues reported are non issues by a bunch of anal idiots. Even the buy backs are only for noises and no engine failures. This site makes you happy? It makes me happy when I’m absent. I wish I never discovered this site. Everyone complaining about the most minutia.

Anyhow I love your car and mine. If something fails I’ll take it in. If the engine fails outside of warranty I’ll have it pro built.

The mustang rocks and is so much better than the camaro and dodges.
Yep picked up a new 18 .One night I wanted to read up on the oil people are using. That's when I came across this site and discovered all the negativity. Kind of sad really. Anyways I have owned manuals all my life. Last one was a e39 m. This morning, still tired, I was merging onto the parkway. This was one of those 75 yard country ramps. Was in 1st gear, car was coming up quick, like I said I was really tired and did the worst 1 2 3 shifts of my life. I heard the grind and said to myself, so I guess the grind is because some people should of opted for the auto.
Sponsored