Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
i just changed the oil again to 5w20 MC and no tick.. My first oil change is when the tick was random. Now I have not heard the tick in months...im telling u its weird how this engine works. My next oil change will be Amsoil 5w30 in the spring.
If I were you I'd stick with MC.. Maybe up to 5w30. Not saying MC is superior to Amsoil, but I would stay with what works rather than tempt fate.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Still nothing explains:

yesterday on old oil you didn"'t have it and next day on new oil you have it.
This is my theory on why the BBQ tick suddenly appears right after an oil change. The anti-wear additives from the previous oil film get stripped off parts. Read about it in the link below.

This also aligns on why Ceratec will make the BBQ tick go away in a very short time after adding it to the oil. It puts that anti-wear/anti-friction layer back on and the ticking goes away.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3254390/all/Fresh_Oil_=_Stripped_AW_???

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I'm betting the new GT500 will also have plasma coated cylinders ... Hummm. :bandit:
They are using a new block for both the gt350 and gt500 that uses longer headbolts, with additional webbing in the block etc. They just started using the block from the gt500. I wonder if this new "block" suddenly has a new revised PTWA process or if its got liners now. lol

Quote from Ford:

The engine shares its 5.2-liter displacement with the naturally aspirated Voodoo engine in the GT350, but there are quite a few differences.

“We knew we wanted the 5.2-liter block out of the GT350,” Widmann said. “The trick was we had to really modify it to take all the boost that comes off that 2.6-liter Eaton supercharger.”

Consequently, the Voodoo block got new, longer bolts for the cylinder heads, new gaskets, additional cooling passages, and different seals. The cylinder heads themselves are modified to deal with the additional heat and pressure, too.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^I dunno bout that. If they take sound cues from the Euro trannies they use for Audi, those are pretty bullet proof.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
A10 automatic......

Do you have a manual transmission? It sounds like a cross between a diesel engine plus transmission gear lash (Or if you have a manual and your clutch was pressed in...in which case there is no gear lash). It is really interesting at how it completely goes away when you revved a little higher.

I wonder....maybe this has already been talked about, but was the new composite oil pan causing the problem, or masking a problem that FoMoCo already knew about? I would think the composite pan would actually make lower end noises quieter.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I could buy that IF it done it from day 1, I'd it done it after a hr drive with several hours idling....and 336miles...before it started....if I hadnt been to a parking lot and started 10 of em or more new and not done it....( 19s mostly) IF I hadn't heard a car with 14k on it NOT do it same pan same engine 2018....
The pan isn't the variable or it would do it from day one, mile 1 hour 1.....it would simply be louder ALL the time....I had ZERO knock or tick till after the first major heat cycle and I haven't seen a new one yet in my sampling that had it on the lot...they sll "develop it" and it seems like if you can make it 10-12k without it your golden you got unicorn spec clearances on assembly......

I do agree the pan could easily make a real engine problem easier to hear...also maybe they added the 2 extra qts of oil to muffle the metal to metal sound......

I know what in my traditional exoexperie the second sounds ( 6.5 ish minutes on) sound like especially as the rpm comes down and it's not piston slap....it's excessive rod bearing or rod side clearance....

But I know zero about the long double overhead timing chain and phasers....what me to add a weird variable and maybe someone else can test this with me....elevate the front of the car like on car ramps not even all the way up and it gets noticeably WORSE....( The ticking that is not the knock )
Car goes in Monday I will keep everyone up to date...if they give it a clean bill of health it's getting a 2650 TVS dropped on and we will find out what it was if anything hehe....

proleTE="Condor1970, post: 2434127, member: 37361"]I could just see in a meeting, the head engineer walks in and tells the bean counters, "This new oil pan is cheap, and saves weight, but it makes that noise we've had for the last 8 years even more noticeable. It might make a few customers worried."

Response from bean counter: "Nah, they won't care. They just wanna add louder exhaust anyway. Hmmm... I need a bigger bonus for Christmas...How much money will we save?"[/QUOTE]

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
BUT the GT500 will he hand assembldled aka blue printed to exact clearances and as importantly run a FORGED piston with the plasma bore....
The issue seems to be for the non expanding ( subjectively when compared to 4032 or 2618 forged piston alloys ) goes into the supper thin .006 ( vs .250 traditional luner) it has to be insanely tight cold to not rattle warm...as just Block temp alone grows our bores .005 ( no telling what 1600 combustion temps do on top of that for distortion)...I really think this plasma bore would have worked with either a forged piston forgoing a little cold start up piston slap and or must strictor QC on skirt to sidewall and rod side clearsances ( not to mention bore spacing correction )....

Its already been confirmed.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
If Ford is going to continue with the plasma bore on the 5.0 block they are going to have to use a different piston to correct this problem IMO

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Agree and minimum get their QC in order because there are unicorn clearances that aren't knocking I started a few trade ins with 12-21k miles and neither had it ...and I was intently listening as I did on my own new before it developed it.....
Skirt to wall, rod side clearance, and bore spacing need to be on a tighter window of go/no go....

If Ford is going to continue with the plasma bore on the 5.0 block they are going to have to use a different piston to correct this problem IMO

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
And the GT500 block is much stronger built due to supercharging.
Sponsored