Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
70~140mph highway bombs..? Laugh.
Yeah, there's a number of videos of this kind of run (some back roads in South America I assume ... :D ) where it can't keep up with a ZL1 (A10), enough that I have to figure a few of the participants claiming stock are telling the truth.
Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
This was the dilemma I had. I had about 30 grand save up from selling my race car and trailer. I really thought owning a GT500 or red eye would be cool. I love both cars! But, Do you wait another year for the GT500? And hope there isnt 20 grand worth of adm throw in. Or just throw 10 grand at a GT? And run faster than any of the super pony cars. I chose faster. I can always pick up a gently used GT500 from some wood be collector in 5 years. When he figures out. It’s not any more collectible than previous GT500s. And let hit take the brutal adm hit!
I was thinking of doing the same. Look at all the gt350's for sale the last few months. None of which are for more than msrp, as far as I've seen out there.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The big willow test is literally the go to for every Chev fanboy who don't know all of the details, or purposefully leave out the details that make the whole story. It doesn't show it in that "fastest laps" leaderboard, but on the day the 350R set that slow time, the ZL1 was only 0.39 seconds faster, which BTW, is almost 3 seconds a lap slower than the same car did on another day. Track conditions were poor that day, as Pobst himself wrote an article on it detailing the great difference in ZL1 lap times. Logic would dictate that if the ZL1 was slow that day due to track conditions, guess what, the 350R was also a lot slower than it could have gone.

The only time the cars were tested same day same driver was the best driver's competition. The times set in that, were all set by Randy Pobst. There weren't different drivers as you claim.... seriously, read the link, or better yet watch the video on their website to see whats involved and how they do things. On that same day with the same drivers, the 350R was faster than the GTR, faster than the NSX, and faster by 1.7 seconds over the SS1LE.

The GT500 is going to be even faster. The 350R was within half a second of the ZL1 when it was down 124hp and 221tq, what do you think is going to happen when you add 200+ hp/tq to the R? LOL
Granted conditions do account for slower and faster to be sure.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I was wrong on the transmission, no way did I expect Ford to put a DCT into any mustang, especially with the fantastic 10 speed auto available.

Having said that, my 991 Porsche Turbo S has PDK, which is a DCT transmission. And, it’s fantastic. Keeps the turbos at full boil during shifts. A traditional manual would slow this car down significantly. Good on Ford on choosing a DCT for the 500.

But, not sure what I think of it. If it’s over 4,000 lbs, that’s a major handicap. And I thought I’d never see the day when a mustang sold for more than $80k, much less $100k! Let me tell you something, when you have the ability to buy a car that’s north of $100k, there are killer options to choose from in that arena.

Thank God we can sit around and gripe that domestic “sports” car are “only” surpassing 700+hp. Shit, I remember when the fasted new car sold in the country was a 79’ Trans Am..with 220 hp..
But 19'No horsepower79, is not a really good comparison. But is nice to see how much they can get out of the same cubic inches.

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
Awesome looking car... too bad it will be priced way out of everyone's affordable price range except for the upper class rich, unless you're willing to make a house payment for a car.... no thanks. I won't be a slave to a car payment.

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
After watching the video interview with the designers, I'm surprised they didn't show one of each of the three performance levels in a group shot. He said they have three different rear aero options for the base and each of the two handling packages. It sounds like base is the (16-18) GT350 track pack spoiler, HP1 is the '19 GT350 spoiler with gurney flap and then obviously HP2 has the adjustable full carbon wing similar to the GT4 car.
I also thought it was interesting that he mentioned why they did exposed carbon on the GT500 but didn't on the 350. Good to hear that they have advanced their paint process/materials so they can do bare carbon.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
But 19'No horsepower79, is not a really good comparison. But is nice to see how much they can get out of the same cubic inches.
Man, that hurts, lol. “No horsepower79”. But, I’m telling you, even the L82 Corvette maxed at 225hp, and the W72/WS6 400ci 79’ TA was a bit quicker (much higher torque, 335 lb/ft IIRC). They were a blast to race on the street!

My comparison was basically how good we have it right now. People are worried it won’t have “enough” HP, knowing it already has over 700HP.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Man, that hurts, lol. “No horsepower79”. But, I’m telling you, even the L82 Corvette maxed at 225hp, and the W72/WS6 400ci 79’ TA was a bit quicker (much higher torque, 335 lb/ft IIRC). They were a blast to race on the street!

My comparison was basically how good we have it right now. People are worried it won’t have “enough” HP, knowing it already has over 700HP.
Oh, I know. They were fun for what they were at the time. The government saw to it that the '70's gave us crap cars. Look at the Mustang II based on the Bobcat/Pinto. I laughed the day that came out. I loved the WS6, nice looking. I had a '66 Galaxie 500 with a 390 cubic inch, 275 HP. Then the next car a 1972 Impala with 350 cubes and 150HP. What a dog.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
That starting point sounds about right, I've said for a while, $69,995 (if I were Ford, to keep it in the 60's) at the very __least__ and probably a few grand more. With the Carbon Package including CF wheels, I could see the option being $12-15K (though for $15K, you should get both sets of wheels ...)

I guess we'll see how it stacks up against the ZL1 - it's hard not to compare prices in the same market segment, and while I think it'll trounce the regular ZL1 in any performance metric, at $75K, it's ~$9K more, and if the Carbon Track package beats (in track performance) the ZL1 1LE, great, I wouldn't be surprised, but if that car is actually $90K, we're talking about $18,000 difference.

A few tenths on track and the badass aesthetics notwithstanding, i think the carbon package (again, lots of assumptions ...) won't be a "good value".
I agree with you, I think they should try and keep it a dollar under 70K! But in my opinion I think 75K would be justifiable. My reasoning is I think the base version will be nearly as fast (within a second or so) of the ZLE on most tracks. The difference will be the lack of sport cup 2’s on the base 500.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
wow curb weight 4256LB HOLY COW!!!!

Sponsored

RogueCow27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
700hp is controllable on a daily basis. It's called "self-control". This said, most owners probably won't have it. Heck, that's why you see people in Ecoboosts/5.0s losing control all over the interwebz. The power is there if you want/need it, not all the time. Yes it's easy to roast the tires, but you'd be amazed how "easy" it is to drive newer high HP cars. Some people SHOULD never be allowed to drive such cars (like the number of idiots I see behind the wheel of Hellcats).
And completely disagree. Do you really think that the majority of the people buying this car are going to use it exclusively for track days? Answer: no. Yes, you probably do have a few that will purchase this car exclusively for such events, but your "average" GT500 buyer uses it as a "fun" car/cruiser/weekend street warrior that may see a strip/track every blue moon. In that case, the performance offered from having an auto doesn't mean a whole lot (unless you're really serious about your Mexico League Races), and a manual would DEFINITELY be more fun and certainly doesn't "oldify" (seriously???) a car simply because you don't know how to properly drive one. I think that it's great that they have the DCT, but would be a serious shame if they didn't eventually release a manual version.
I stand by my use of "Oldify", and would argue that ripping through gears in a good DCT is just as fun as slamming through them on a manual;
they are just different kinds of fun.

I guess the main issue with a DCT is that peeps won't be able to get up on their high horse and look down on others who can't drive a stick; some people need that power in their lives :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
700+ hp to two tires is pretty hard to put down. I love driving manual and would almost always choose it if offered, but I totally get the DCT in this car. I'd honestly prefer it with anything over 500-550 whp to one axle.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think it looks phenomenal and should be exciting to see the performance data when it is available.

Just out of curiosity, I texted the salesman at Ford I've been dealing with for the past 4 years and he asked the owner of the dealership about the price of the car and what to expect. Apparently, the owner said since it's going to be limited production model it's probably going to go for $100,000 lol.