PPF Question

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Full front is recommended by most installers. Adding the rocker panels is a nice addition since rocks get kicked up in the side wings.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Thanks for the advice everyone. Right now I’m leaning towards full front end, rockers, a pillars, mirrors and rear impact area. I’m hoping rock guards on the front will take care of the doors.
I installed these front rock guards: https://zl1addons.com/products/mustang-gt350-deluxe

I didn't want a partial clear bra on the rear quarter panel, so I went this route. 18k miles, no rock chips on the rear quarter panel so far.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend against doing it on the hood partially... After a couple of years, paint will wear/burn in the sun differently, and that will stay. Even if you take it off, polish, cut, whatever, you will have a nice split of 2 shades of color on the hood...
So it's either whole surface, or none.

I just did the complete front bumper and the front part before the actual hood, you are very unlikely to get chips on the hood; if you do, where do you drive :)

Also, make sure you do not, under any circumstance, cover the stripes with xpel. You will never take it off cleanly, and will tear the stripes.
I also did the front of rear wheel flares, it did throw some stuff there at times...

What is really worth doing, especially if running the wider (sticking out) R setup; is the fender edges with Xpel tape on all 4 wheels.... You can't believe how much that will save you.

OP
OP
A_Bau3

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I recommend against doing it on the hood partially... After a couple of years, paint will wear/burn in the sun differently, and that will stay. Even if you take it off, polish, cut, whatever, you will have a nice split of 2 shades of color on the hood...
So it's either whole surface, or none.

I just did the complete front bumper and the front part before the actual hood, you are very unlikely to get chips on the hood; if you do, where do you drive :)

Also, make sure you do not, under any circumstance, cover the stripes with xpel. You will never take it off cleanly, and will tear the stripes.
I also did the front of rear wheel flares, it did throw some stuff there at times...

What is really worth doing, especially if running the wider (sticking out) R setup; is the fender edges with Xpel tape on all 4 wheels.... You can't believe how much that will save you.
I’m going to do the full hood, and I’ll def consider this cause I’m getting a 19 which comes standard with cup 2’s so rocks will be flying haha.

Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
When the whole fenders are done, do they remove and reinstall the 350 badge or just cut around it?

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
The installer that did mine pulled and re-installed mine. They did not get damaged, but I was nervous about it.
Then the installer didn’t have a pattern or if they did they did not have the cut out. I did a story for the magazine that I work for on paint protection, and I documented the entire install. Depends on who they source their pre-cut film from. The cutouts are so precise that you cannot see perimeter of the film around the emblem or vents.

Cutting is a fact when it comes to paint protection, just find an experienced installer who knows not to cut the film, but only to score it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
I had an Xpel Dealer install mine. Pretty sure the pieces were cut from a program. They did custom make the pieces on the rear fender in front of the tire.

Bumper
Lights
Whole hood
Front fenders
A pillar
Mirrors
Partial roof stripe
Lower rockers on the door
Front side or the rear fender
Behind rear wheels

Last edited:

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 2017F450
My first major chip was the leading edge of the roof line. Crazy.
Sponsored