Sponsored

Official 2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang Press Release, Specifications, Photos & Videos

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
The NEW Shelby GT500 is one hell of a car!!!
Hope it kicks the crap out of Dodge and Chev.
Hope 700+ HP really means 800 HP to put down the Hell Cat, the Demon, the Corvette and the Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Unfortunately there are a few draw backs;
1. The, Oh sooooooooooo GULY, Lexus type front grill. Doesn't even look like a Mustang!!!
2. The White stripe on the side should have GT500 on it like in 1967
3. The back Spoiler should come out of the back lid like the Porsche 911 and automatically adjust to the speed that your doing
4. There should be a 6 Speed option. Way more fun : ))
5. The GT500 should have rear side air vents for the back breaks and for a better look
Not giving up my 2019 BULLITT but if you fix all of the above I'll buy one.
Zoom, Zoom
Put down the Crackpipe dude. What a fanboy. :cwl:

The Demon will own the streets for stock cars for years to come, unless you include Tesla.

I'd say the Camaro ZL1 1LE will give it a good run for the money and you'll save $40,000.00 when you include ADM.

Porsche will eat this GT500 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It should considering it's $200,000.00 MORE.

ADM will be no less than $20,000.00 for the first few months. Dealers are still charging ADM for the GT350R.

If Ford wanted the fastest car then only a DCT made sense, even though I prefer a Manual.

I wish the Interior were more Unique and refined.

I love that Big, Nasty, WRX STI looking Spoiler.

Overall I like it and will probably buy this over the 2019 GT350R I was considering.

GT500 kicks Bullitt Azz. :rockon:
Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was wrong on the transmission, no way did I expect Ford to put a DCT into any mustang, especially with the fantastic 10 speed auto available.

Having said that, my 991 Porsche Turbo S has PDK, which is a DCT transmission. And, it’s fantastic. Keeps the turbos at full boil during shifts. A traditional manual would slow this car down significantly. Good on Ford on choosing a DCT for the 500.

But, not sure what I think of it. If it’s over 4,000 lbs, that’s a major handicap. And I thought I’d never see the day when a mustang sold for more than $80k, much less $100k! Let me tell you something, when you have the ability to buy a car that’s north of $100k, there are killer options to choose from in that arena.

Thank God we can sit around and gripe that domestic “sports” car are “only” surpassing 700+hp. Shit, I remember when the fasted new car sold in the country was a 79’ Trans Am..with 220 hp..

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Put down the Crackpipe dude. What a fanboy. :cwl:

The Demon will own the streets for stock cars for years to come, unless you include Tesla.

I'd say the Camaro ZL1 1LE will give it a good run for the money and you'll save $40,000.00 when you include ADM.

Porsche will eat this GT500 for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It should considering it's $200,000.00 MORE.

ADM will be no less than $20,000.00 for the first few months. Dealers are still charging ADM for the GT350R.

If Ford wanted the fastest car then only a DCT made sense, even though I prefer a Manual.

I wish the Interior were more Unique and refined.

I love that Big, Nasty, WRX STI looking Spoiler.

Overall I like it and will probably buy this over the 2019 GT350R I was considering.

GT500 kicks Bullitt Azz. :rockon:
I don't know what streets you are from, but the demon doesn't do anything on the streets. It needs 1300ft for it to win anything. 70~140mph highway bombs..? Laugh.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Oh I'd agree that it's unlikely that the GT500 PP cars will be sold, but it's so dependent on launch quality.

TT cars being sold would be when there is a very limited change between model years, but enough to actually have TT and PP builds.
After many discussions with Ford back in 2015 I was told that FR did not build any 2015 Shelby GT350/R's PP cars with the first GT350/R Pilot Production car being "PP001" which actually was a 2016 Shadow Black R model with Black OTT stripes with the VIN ending in G5200165.

Ironically PP001 being a 2016 R model was built during the Spring of 2015 which was well before the 137 - 2015 GT350/R's were assembled in late July of that same year.

I have tried to purchase PP001 on numerous occasions but Ford will not let it go and plan on keeping it on display for the unforeseeable future.

:)

Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It’s all relative. 220hp felt fast, then. You pretty much ruled the streets. Aftermarket was limited to tiny ads in the back of Hot Rod magazine.

Damn, I guess I’m getting old.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
It’s all relative. 220hp felt fast, then. You pretty much ruled the streets. Aftermarket was limited to tiny ads in the back of Hot Rod magazine.

Damn, I guess I’m getting old.

Right? Mid-80's all over again.

Like all the Dodge Omni GLH, Merkur RX4ti, Conquest, Notchback 5.0 & hatchback Capris, SVO, Firebird Formula500, IrocZ, etc. etc and not to mention all the late 60' & 70's bigblocks hotrods in the school parking lots.

Lots of different types of burnouts in those days. I think that is why the bullitt's simplicity (aesthetics) tugs at People's hearts today...

And along the "hot rod" era, I think is the primal draw towards this GT500 (after taking a step back from it), with it's raw simplicity of an angry Coyote, uber-charged with techno-bits that work on their own, to allow One just to drive... (with all the tech out of their way). Usable horses means nothing gets in the way of you and driving/focusing on the tarmac.

I would love to see the GT500 thrashed around COTA in the hands of someone like Kimi Raikkonen. This is supercar stuff!

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Hopefully Ford doesnt blueball everyone on MSRP/HP numbers for the next 6 months. We all know dealers are going to try and shaft everyone with ADM add ons so it would be nice to know ASAP what the thing is going to cost. Realistically it should be priced around the ZL1 but then it would be pretty close to the GT350 prices which doesnt make sense but it wouldnt make sense pricing it $10-$20k over a ZL1

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
This is beautiful...

I whole-heartedly agree with #4. Overall, I think people tend to underestimate what 700+ and a manual is like to live with on a daily basis, even on the track for that matter. In the end, this car is built for performance, not just "fun". A manual may be more "fun", but would be a performance trade-off to "oldify" the car

700hp is controllable on a daily basis. It's called "self-control". This said, most owners probably won't have it. Heck, that's why you see people in Ecoboosts/5.0s losing control all over the interwebz. The power is there if you want/need it, not all the time. Yes it's easy to roast the tires, but you'd be amazed how "easy" it is to drive newer high HP cars. Some people SHOULD never be allowed to drive such cars (like the number of idiots I see behind the wheel of Hellcats).
And completely disagree. Do you really think that the majority of the people buying this car are going to use it exclusively for track days? Answer: no. Yes, you probably do have a few that will purchase this car exclusively for such events, but your "average" GT500 buyer uses it as a "fun" car/cruiser/weekend street warrior that may see a strip/track every blue moon. In that case, the performance offered from having an auto doesn't mean a whole lot (unless you're really serious about your Mexico League Races), and a manual would DEFINITELY be more fun and certainly doesn't "oldify" (seriously???) a car simply because you don't know how to properly drive one. I think that it's great that they have the DCT, but would be a serious shame if they didn't eventually release a manual version.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
This car was designed to be the best it could be, not even a little bit of factoring in what "most" people will do with the car. It was designed to make the most of all driving conditions, not be a one trick pony. There is zero doubt DCT is the best option to take advantage of the power available and put it down the best possible. Would a manual be more "fun"? Answer is subjective, but polls would say yes.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Right? Mid-80's all over again.

Like all the Dodge Omni GLH, Merkur RX4ti, Conquest, Notchback 5.0 & hatchback Capris, SVO, Firebird Formula500, IrocZ, etc. etc and not to mention all the late 60' & 70's bigblocks hotrods in the school parking lots.

Lots of different types of burnouts in those days. I think that is why the bullitt's simplicity (aesthetics) tugs at People's hearts today...

And along the "hot rod" era, I think is the primal draw towards this GT500 (after taking a step back from it), with it's raw simplicity of an angry Coyote, uber-charged with techno-bits that work on their own, to allow One just to drive... (with all the tech out of their way). Usable horses means nothing gets in the way of you and driving/focusing on the tarmac.

I would love to see the GT500 thrashed around COTA in the hands of someone like Kimi Raikkonen. This is supercar stuff!
Sounds like you and I may have grown up in the same era and appreciate your post!:)

Back in 1987 I was big into auto crossing and at that time I was able to secure Goodyear as a sponsor for my '87 Notchback 5.0. Had brand new Goodyear tires all shaved down to 2/32nd's which is what we did back then for better performance.

At the same time I was also racing a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH and had Yokohama A008R tires which were probably the stickiest tire that I could find at the time and loved those tires until I had to drive home in the rain as it was very scary.

Even though "Little Red" (GLH) was down on power over my Notchback 5.0 the GLH was actually faster on most auto cross courses. Lots of understeer in the Mustang but cured that later on.

:clap::clap:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't know what streets you are from, but the demon doesn't do anything on the streets. It needs 1300ft for it to win anything. 70~140mph highway bombs..? Laugh.
Some of these posts are hilarious are they not!

:crackup:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Rumor on the street is $75k-$90k MSRP based on options.

That starting point sounds about right, I've said for a while, $69,995 (if I were Ford, to keep it in the 60's) at the very __least__ and probably a few grand more. With the Carbon Package including CF wheels, I could see the option being $12-15K (though for $15K, you should get both sets of wheels ...)

I guess we'll see how it stacks up against the ZL1 - it's hard not to compare prices in the same market segment, and while I think it'll trounce the regular ZL1 in any performance metric, at $75K, it's ~$9K more, and if the Carbon Track package beats (in track performance) the ZL1 1LE, great, I wouldn't be surprised, but if that car is actually $90K, we're talking about $18,000 difference.

A few tenths on track and the badass aesthetics notwithstanding, i think the carbon package (again, lots of assumptions ...) won't be a "good value".
Sponsored