Sponsored

MY20 changes

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
I too have an electric handbrake in another car. Horrible thing. Probably OK with an Auto box, but with a manual you dont have full control, and No, i dont do hand brake turns!. I hope Mustangs generally keep the manual version, or option of it for as long as possible.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I was also under the impression the only 2020 Mustang will be the all new GT500.

The next version of the "normal" GT will be the all new S650 now due in 2021 at earliest, more likely 2022, as teh project has been pushed back, I didn't think there was going to be a S550.3
Well there were rumours that a s650 had been cancelled or pushed heavily back meaning we may se a third variant on the s550 platform, unlikely, but it was more just a general to say the "Next big update" is when this would be implemented if it was to be implemented.

They would have had the gt500 finalised prior to the MY18, so there could have been an opportunity there but they opted not to even with the newer auto box. as HInch says it's not as simple as "just swapping it out, there's a few more things that go into it, I wont pretend to know as gearboxes confuse the heck out of me, but in short, it's not 'that easy'

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have the electric handbrake in my other vehicle,I quite like it,it is mounted centrally,so suits left or right hand drive. Not sure about the rotary shifter though.
try and do mad skids with that handbrake lol :p!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I too have an electric handbrake in another car. Horrible thing. Probably OK with an Auto box, but with a manual you dont have full control, and No, i dont do hand brake turns!. I hope Mustangs generally keep the manual version, or option of it for as long as possible.
Yes agreed, if I wanted an electric handbrake id but a Honda Jazz.

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not interested in an Electronic handbrake or a spinny dially thing for an auto. I wouldnt buy a Mustang if it wasn't a manual.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
theres still something mechanical needs to move inside the box to select the drive modes and i doubt the a10 has the corresponding solenoids or hydraulics however they switch it already made to be compatible with the rotary dial and I doubt ford would put the R&D into it for this gen they'll worry about it next gen when gm do the same with the a10 on their next gen platforms that way they share teh R&D costs like they did with the box in the first place.
I hate to tell you but the 2020 Explorer (due late summer 2019) has the 10R80 gearbox and rotary controller so the work has been done.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I hate to tell you but the 2020 Explorer (due late summer 2019) has the 10R80 gearbox and rotary controller so the work has been done.
its to do with packaging just because you do it in location A doesn't mean that it fits into location B

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
True, but I suspect they may have thought of that at the design phase in order to maximise the installation options. The controller clearly fits in the Mustang and there isn't much different at the gearbox end as both are the same boxes already. We will have to wait and see and wager a pint on it !

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
i'll take your pint bet but mine will be water (don't drink)

gearboxes and housings are different manufacturers and shapes so what fits one doesn't fit the other.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
The rotary shifter will be plug and play to the old shifter type. Fords way around the electronic hand brake will be to sell you a Mustang badged drift stick from the Focus RS for a few hundred quid.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d be very surprised if the current auto shifter has any direct mechanical connection to the gearbox itself. I would have thought more likely (as I’ve seen in other much older vehicles from other manufacturers) that the shifter just actuated a series of micro switches that control the gearbox electronically. So a dial would perform the same task.
Sponsored