Sponsored

I "think" Ford secretly allows Ceratec.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I say this from a legal perspective. The reason why, is it got me thinking when the CJ Pony Parts thread came out. Bill isn't a stupid guy, and I have a funny feeling he may have consulted with Ford prior to making that video. If he hadn't, then talking about using Ceratec that could potentially put him in a legal bind if Ford decided to void everyone's warranty. Especially since CJPP doesn't even sell Ceratec. Why would he even bother mentioning that specific product by name?
Now, concerning warranty. You could say this about CJPP selling CAI's and other components that potentially void the warranty, but basically everyone knows that doing tunes or changing out a lot of parts can do this. But adding a specific oil additive for this specific issue, seems a bit odd. He could have made a blanket statement about using high quality oil additives, like Archoil, or Tribotex as well, since we know those also work. But, the fact that he specifically mentioned Ceratec, got the gears in my head turning for some reason.

The problem is this. If Ford even recommends in any way to use Ceratec, that means they are admitting the issue, and that can also open a big can of worms for them, when maybe they don't have a definite fix yet. Heck, I dunno. But, I have a sneaky suspicion that Ford allows the use of that particular oil additive, even though they don't say anything specific to the public. It's really no different when they used to quietly toss in a bottle of XL-17, and call it good.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Ford wont void your warranty for using it or any oil additive... per a few dealers I spoke with. Highly doubt he spoke with Ford.. you are reaching and overthinking this

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
no.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know, I know. It seems very tinfoil hat'ish. I just can't help but wonder why CJPP made the mention of Ceratec, when they don't even sell it. Also, I honestly don't think Ford is too concerned about using Ceratec either. Especially since they used to dump XL-17 in to quiet these engines. They still officially have XL-3 for diffs, from what I understand.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford wont void your warranty for using it or any oil additive... per a few dealers I spoke with. Highly doubt he spoke with Ford.. you are reaching and overthinking this
They would void the warranty (and so would any other car maker) if they could definitely prove it was the cause of a failure.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bill at CJ Pony Parts wasn't telling everyone to go out and buy it and use it. He (like many other YouTubers) are just saying it seems to work for most people for the BBQ tick at least. Probably not for the 2K rattle in the Gen3 Coyote though.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They would void the warranty (and so would any other car maker) if they could definitely prove it was the cause of a failure.
Well, not to sound like a know it all, but it would be very hard to prove that to begin with. Especially when everyone that uses it, has a positive effect. That said, In my case, the tick started long before I even considered using it. I even took it in very early on, and had it documented and they looked at my car. Of course the diagnosis was they had no idea what it is, and other cars had the same tick. If its on its way to failure, Ceratec has nothing to do with it. If anything, it's prolonging the issue by helping it run smoother.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, not to sound like a know it all, but it would be very hard to prove that to begin with. Especially when everyone that uses it, has a positive effect. That said, In my case, the tick started long before I even considered using it. I even took it in very early on, and had it documented and they looked at my car. Of course the diagnosis was they had no idea what it is, and other cars had the same tick. If its on its way to failure, Ceratec has nothing to do with it. If anything, it's prolonging the issue by helping it run smoother.
I hear ya ... I'm just saying that all guys working at dealerships and at Ford are not super technical (ie, not mechanical engineers), and it's easy for them to say your warranty is void because you used an additive in the oil. Chances are there would never be an oil related failure using Ceratec, or using a good oil that is thicker than Fords "recommended" 5W-20. I switched to 5W-30 and never looking back.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Don’t sweat the additives. There are more options besides Ceratec.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I'm an engineer. I overthink everything. :idea:
If you add ceratec and do not bug them with engine tick and block replacement, ford probably will not mind.

If you have ceratec in your oil and bring car in with engine related complaint, - I wouldn't be so sure then. If they have to dump some oil during inspection, - they will notice oil contains weird substance and they might very well blame it in engine failure. Before you argue on this point, - dump some of your oil and post a picture here. Ceratec is very detectable visually and used oil does look very odd. Oil dipstick does not reflect that.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Don’t sweat the additives. There are more options besides Ceratec.
I only know of ceratec and xl17 that fix the tick. Care to share other options?
Sponsored