Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gents- I finally completely my 1000mi real in period. Can finally get into the higher rpms. I'm sure some people have bounced into the red line area. Everything OK after that? Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about it. I'm sure shifting between 7000-7400 will be fine.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You can redline your car and it's fine, but I wouldn't be bouncing off the limiter every day driving it. You have a warranty for a reason. Drive it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It would have been better if you'd already bounced of the rev limiter a time or two.....or many times.

The engine is built for it, so enjoy it.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Echoing what the others have said - yes, it is fine.

I've hit my limiter 2-3x and it is still running strong.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's what rev limiter is for.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Autocrosser here. I probably hit the rev limiter dozens of times in my 2012, hundreds of times in my 2015, and maybe a couple of dozen times in my 2018. That said, for normal straight line acceleration the car will be faster if you shift before it hits the limiter. If you are manually shifting an automatic the manual shifts are much slower if the engine hits the limiter before you shift. With a manual trans you just stop accelerating longer than for a normal shift.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, probably a hundred rev limiter hits on my car. Just take your time with the shifting, the engine is safe to redline, but you can break transmission bits if you dont show some empathy for the shifter.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, probably a hundred rev limiter hits on my car. Just take your time with the shifting, the engine is safe to redline, but you can break transmission bits if you dont show some empathy for the shifter.
Fixed by MGW :D

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Does the rev limiter on your tune work?

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
You guys who regularly hit the rev limiter probably aren't thinking of owning and driving it for 10+ years. If you were, you'd re-think abuse of your car.

I am assuming none of these cars re really yours .. that is, paid for already and in use as a daily driver. Unless you are running a race where the prize money is significant, there is no point in red-lining a daily driver car. Running it at 90% will be just as fun on a road course track and will result in significantly less wear. But, if you are planning to always make payments and trade it before it is paid for then what the hell, drive it like you stole it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You guys who regularly hit the rev limiter probably aren't thinking of owning and driving it for 10+ years. If you were, you'd re-think abuse of your car.

I am assuming none of these cars re really yours .. that is, paid for already and in use as a daily driver. Unless you are running a race where the prize money is significant, there is no point in red-lining a daily driver car. Running it at 90% will be just as fun on a road course track and will result in significantly less wear. But, if you are planning to always make payments and trade it before it is paid for then what the hell, drive it like you stole it.
And for many like this there are basic CUVs or prii. Redline isn't abuse. That's precisely why there is one...to prevent excessive revs that could (not will) lead to extra wear or other damage.

Do UOAs, check your wear metals. Don't be an alarmist.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Break in period...lol.

I autocrossed my car at 200 miles. THAT is called breaking in your car.
Yup. Mine was making passes at 450 miles

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang

My mustang is the only thing I make payments on. That lightning ive had for a decade. I beat it every time I drive it. It keeps coming back for more.
Sponsored