Sponsored

Brake pad recommendation

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Hi any recommendations for replacing pads on 2017 GT.

I'm not unhappy with OEM but looking at options.

My car is a daily driver.
Sponsored

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Yep very interested for when the time comes down the road.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Hi any recommendations for replacing pads on 2017 GT.

I'm not unhappy with OEM but looking at options.

My car is a daily driver.
I went for GLOC GS-1 pads from Optimum performance, not cheap I have not fitted them yet but is on the next to do list.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@ snake bit I urge caution when looking at non oem options the stock pad is pretty good for its intended purpose, despite what aftermarket sellers would have you believe, and generally has a good balance of feel/bite/fade resistance for a dd although individual preferences vary. It's easy to shell out for some non oem pads, and then when you realise you've gone backwards shell out some more for the oem you should have bought in the first place. Unfortunately lightly used non oem pads aren't generally hot sellers.

Having said that I'm not sure what the price of oem pads is but it may be good cause to investigate options. I've heard they're Ferodo DS2500 compound so someone like Performance Friction or V Sport might be able to sell you the same pad at way better than half dealer oem price, but check dealer prices first if going oem they can sometimes be good. If you're really keen to look at options I'd recommend V Sport for advice.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
@ snake bit I urge caution when looking at non oem options the stock pad is pretty good for its intended purpose, despite what aftermarket sellers would have you believe, and generally has a good balance of feel/bite/fade resistance for a dd although individual preferences vary. It's easy to shell out for some non oem pads, and then when you realise you've gone backwards shell out some more for the oem you should have bought in the first place. Unfortunately lightly used non oem pads aren't generally hot sellers.

Having said that I'm not sure what the price of oem pads is but it may be good cause to investigate options. I've heard they're Ferodo DS2500 compound so someone like Performance Friction or V Sport might be able to sell you the same pad at way better than half dealer oem price, but check dealer prices first if going oem they can sometimes be good. If you're really keen to look at options I'd recommend V Sport for advice.
Thanks GT 550 some great advice and things to consider. Cheers

Sponsored

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I want to put it out there again regarding replacement pads. I have been looking to go OEM but interested in hearing from anyone who has got pads, where from, how much and how they have found them to perform.
If possible I'd like to get them locally in Adelaide but happy to go overseas.

By way of update I phoned the dealer and couldn't believe what they quoted for OEM pads, hope you are sitting down....$176 for rears and $960 front WTF!!!!!! Anyway you can get the lot for about $520 delivered from USA but there is a current issue with supply from Ford

So if no decent alternative can be found I may just have to wait and go the OEM from the US when they get stock.

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I want to put it out there again regarding replacement pads. I have been looking to go OEM but interested in hearing from anyone who has got pads, where from, how much and how they have found them to perform.
If possible I'd like to get them locally in Adelaide but happy to go overseas.

By way of update I phoned the dealer and couldn't believe what they quoted for OEM pads, hope you are sitting down....$176 for rears and $960 front WTF!!!!!! Anyway you can get the lot for about $520 delivered from USA but there is a current issue with supply from Ford

So if no decent alternative can be found I may just have to wait and go the OEM from the US when they get stock.
Hey check out power stop Z23 from rockauto other forum members recommend them and about $50 USD for front set!
Not sure about freight

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Hi Snake bite,
I still haven't fitted the GLoc pads, had other priorities once I do I.ll post again.
Check what Pedders can offer I was at a pedders trade show last year looking into suspensions and other products.
they mentioned about brake pads for the mustang.

not wanting to hijack this thread on the subject of OEM parts costs
OEM windscreen quoted $1750. plus fitting. Shannons refused to fit so had to go with after market.
the 7mm hex head screws with washers for the front under tray, quoted $32. for one. Not a miss print.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Optic Armour windshields are nice, as to pads powerstop are well known. At 47,000 miles I am about ready to replace mine as well.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Hey check out power stop Z23 from rockauto other forum members recommend them and about $50 USD for front set!
Not sure about freight
I'm also running Power Stop Z23s on my GT/PP, and have been for 2+ years. The stock pads dusted way too much, and had too MUCH initial bite, so there was no pedal travel, and very little ability to modulate pressure. The Brembos were like an on/off switch, and had maybe 1" of travel from full off to full stop. The Z23s give a great mix of lower initial bite, equivalent clamping force (overall bite), low dusting, and good feel. I have more pedal travel now, due to lower initial bite (still good, though), and can much more easily heel/toe, due to the brake pedal and accelerator aligning better (after I installed spacers behind the accelerator assembly). The Z23s and Z26s are the same friction material with a different backing plate, so you'll get similar performance from each. From one of the Hellcat Forums:

• Z23 and Z26 use the same friction material in the pad itself
  • They are both low dusting and will dust the same amount as they are the same friction material
  • Backing plate shim on Z23 is rubberized and backing plate shim on Z26 is stainless steel
  • The Z26 pad will tolerate higher heat due to the SS backing plate
  • Both pads are low noise but I would suspect that the Z23 may be even better in the noise department due to the rubberized shim (just a guess here)
JR

Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
DBA Street Performance pads.

I put them on a month ago now, and they rock. Zero noise, and WAY WAY WAY less dust then stock, I clean my wheels weekly so yes I do notice it a lot. Like my wheels still look pretty clean after cleaning them a week ago, before if I touched the brake they went grey (Ecoboost stock shiny black wheels). I haven't done a track day in them yet, but they claim to be better then stock.

I got them on sale from Sparesbox, under $100 shipped. They're also stocked by most auto stores (although they might need to be ordered in, I suspect they wont hold stock).

Not sure about freight
Honestly it will be a lot, my Ecoboost front pads were 3.14KG in the box, and GT fronts are a little bigger. That much weight is expensive to ship.

Also, stock pads have wear indicators, so you'll know when they are low (same with DBA, and any good brake pad)

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I'm about to order the Z26 pads front and rears for my EB Performance pack. After researching all available pads I still don't know what the best ones are in terms of low dust and gentle on the stock rotors, but the Z26 seems to be the easiest to order and ship to Belgium. But still I'm a bit frightened that they will eat out the stock rotors, anyone have experience with this? Thx

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
They are very clean pads and my rotors still look great after 10,000 miles. Rock Auto had the best price and I wouldn’t even consider the factory pads. Too much initial bite and constantly creating brake dust on the hard to clean PP rims.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Thanks for the replys. I've decided to give the Z26's a try for $285 AUD delivered for front and rears ya can't go wrong. I will post an update on the when they arrive and are fitted.
Sponsored