Sponsored

Leak!! Area behind passenger flooded with water

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Quick update on this thread for the folks not in the UK section. Pics here are from Friday; the lower 2 are from after driving - about an hour after having parked up, the first is before I got in the car - I sent these to the service dept as an example. They've had the car less than 2 hours and have already called to confirm what I feared - dampness underneath drivers side. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with news as I get it.

IMG_8382.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_8396.jpg
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yep, foggy and heavy condensation on the inside of the windows is definately a sign of a lot of water somewhere inside (ie, water leak).

Have the dealer check those hole stickers shown in Post #19.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
copy of my update in the uk section;

Got a call from Ford Hungerford with an update. Had a good 15 min conversation. It's not good news...

Major issue here. The water seems to be coming in from the offside front B pillar, from there it's going quite a distance apparently, hence my damp carpet obviously. We speculated between us that Guildford last year may have done f*ck all, or not properly rectified the issue, which would not surprise me in the slightest.

I've just received photos - there is some corrosion evident in the wiring looms, on the terminals themselves, so they are going to be replaced (the whole loom). This involves completely gutting out the car, the dash, the main body, everything. There is the possibility as well that these looms are customer built for specific cars which obviously could lead to weeks/months lead time.

I was pleased to hear that they had been liaising with the UK Mustang guy (not sure of the correct job title!) for a steer on this, and speaking to them, I feel that they're doing all of this by the book & as it should have been done 12 months ago. All fixable in their opinion - no lasting, permanent damage. Their attention to detail & customer service/communication skills are exactly what I would hope for and about the only positive right now.

As you all know I've got this exhaust sat at home right now, so I mentioned I would like to drop it in to them & see where they're up to with it. The invitation was extended to have me go in when the car is all gutted and the technician is there so can guide me through what's being done, a nice touch.

Deleted member 35786

One would think the car goes through a water spray test when coming off the assembly line. Has anyone sat in the car and gone through a car wash or have a friend spray the car with a hose and sit inside to see the water actually coming in?
Here in the SE we get hit with torrential thunderstorms on a regular basis and thankfully no leaks detected. Hope you all get it figured out.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I’m jumping back in to this thread! Some useful info here. Mine is going back to Ford Monday. Although i’m free of wet carpets, i’m still seeing condensation effects similar to what i saw a year ago when i hsd this leak in the a pillar area - now that the temp is dropping, it becomes more obvious. I’ll report back when i know more.
Quick update on this thread for the folks not in the UK section. Pics here are from Friday; the lower 2 are from after driving - about an hour after having parked up, the first is before I got in the car - I sent these to the service dept as an example. They've had the car less than 2 hours and have already called to confirm what I feared - dampness underneath drivers side. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with news as I get it.

IMG_8382.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_8396.jpg
OMG it took 3+ months for them to find my waterleak was coming from these stickers and already found this way to long, now I noticed yours is still not fixed ... man that would really freak me out!
On the condesation part, this took another couple months after the fix to get rid off. Driving with max ac temps and several of those damp pads like you have on your dash, a lot of spray inside the vent holes to get rid of the smell coming dried out and standing water. This took about another 6+ months to get rid of the smell and it's still not completely gone... but I thing replacing the cabin filter again might end it.

But I can't say it enough, did they ever check for leaks coming from the stickers? If they have stickers at the doors I assume they have them somewhere else as well...
Or maybe it's time to have your dealer call a ford flying doctor mechanic, usually they won't thell you they exist as they are expensive but I would insist!

Anyway, good luck man!!

Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
My 03 vert had a leak where water would end up behind the front passenger seat and flood the floor pan. I pulled the seats and carpet out and sprayed water around in an effort to find the leak. Turns out in that model car water runs from front to back through the frame rails which are under the rocker panel covers. There are holes in the rail so if I pulled off the top covers I could watch the water run through the rail. So there are drain holes, little slits, in front of the rear tires where the water is supposed to exit and hit the ground.

With my car, the problem is the there were gaps in the seam sealer that was supposed to seal the welds where the floor pan is welded to this frame rail. So the water would run through the rail until it reach a point of missing seam sealer and then just run out of the rail right into the rear floor pan and never make it to the drain hole.

I cleaned everything up, applied tons of seam sealer and it's been fine ever since.

I think Ford's seam sealing robot needs some help because this kind of poor application of seam sealer has been going on with Ford cars for years.

Howling Mad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP 10R80
Hi all
I've also an water issue with my 18GT EU ...
Water is coming into the trunk when raining and it is quite a lot. This is after 1 hour of slight rain.
Up to now no one could find the leak. I can't see anything where it can come in. I only see it dripping from that hole in the trunk's upper area on the left side.
Did anyone had a similar issue?
I could imagine it's somehow coming through the rear window?

Regards
Daniel
20190112_154305.jpg
20190112_151047.jpg
20190112_151101.jpg

kingstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

IMG_8382.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_8396.jpg
.Now that moisture is on all the wiring and harnesses, what happens a year or so down the road when electrical issue arise. Who gets jammed for that bill?????

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi all
Water is coming into the trunk when raining and it is quite a lot. This is after 1 hour of slight rain.
Up to now no one could find the leak. I can't see anything where it can come in. I only see it dripping from that hole in the trunk's upper area on the left side.

Regards
Daniel
20190112_154305.jpg
20190112_151047.jpg
20190112_151101.jpg

With the trunk lid open, check ALL of the seam sealer where the sheet metal is joined together. Look for pin holes or cracks in the sealer OR exposed joints where the metal overlaps. If you don’t see any issues there, then the leak has to be due to poor sealing of the butyl used under the glass to secure the rear window to the body.

Check the area behind the taillights and make sure there is no debris blocking the spaces or openings where the top of taillight meets trunk drainage channel. Unlikely, but if water is backing up in that channel, it could breach the trunk rubber seal surround.

If it were me, I’d fold down the rear seats, keep trunk lid closed and using a high powered flashlight, lay down in trunk from back seat looking up at the rear package tray. Have another person on the outside of the car running water from a hose at the top roofline, so that the water runs down the glass and on either side of the glass. The water will also flow down the drainage channels under trunk lid. Run the water until the leak starts, it may take a few minutes for water to leak through the source breach. You may then be able to pinpoint the leak (and save time dealing with the Dealer telling you they can’t find it).

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
.Now that moisture is on all the wiring and harnesses, what happens a year or so down the road when electrical issue arise. Who gets jammed for that bill?????
Good question. Apologies for not keeping this thread up to date, but here goes...

The dealership have been amazing, finally found a good one. They've already assessed that both main wiring looms will need to be replaced which they have ordered already - one expected next week, the other is on back order :( but both will be replaced under warranty.

They have taken off the drivers side fender in an attempt to find the leak source but no luck yet. Along the way they've been re sealing the seams - which is good. Next week the interior is coming out for more troubleshooting on the leak.

Very frustrating to be without the car - they've had it since 7th Jan, but it's in the right place so I just need to be patient!

I'll update again next week when I know more.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well, if you can believe it - after a full 2 months at the dealership, they've found and sorted the issue. I visited the dealership today to see an empty shell of a Mustang! Water damaged wiring looms were diagnosed early on and a 4 week delay on parts meant that the dealership couldn't do much.

The problem was a grommet in the firewall, needed sealing up properly. Not sure if that's an issue with LHD cars, but we've seen it in the UK a few times. For me unfortunately it went on for far too long!

Anyway, more details and pics in the UK thread (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...condensation-again.113708/page-9#post-2486743) but wanted to put a quick update here.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well, if you can believe it - after a full 2 months at the dealership, they've found and sorted the issue. I visited the dealership today to see an empty shell of a Mustang! Water damaged wiring looms were diagnosed early on and a 4 week delay on parts meant that the dealership couldn't do much.

The problem was a grommet in the firewall, needed sealing up properly. Not sure if that's an issue with LHD cars, but we've seen it in the UK a few times. For me unfortunately it went on for far too long!

Anyway, more details and pics in the UK thread (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...condensation-again.113708/page-9#post-2486743) but wanted to put a quick update here.
That's absolutely nuts that one bad grommet can cause so much havoc! Glad you finally got it sorted out and repaired.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Hi all

Regards
Daniel
20190112_154305.jpg
Curious if this issue has been fixed.

Just opened the trunk of my GT350 and was greeted by a nice, humid, stench. Had a similar leak to the one above that caused the carpeting to get soaked and was like that for about a week before I drove the car again and noticed it.

We are getting another big rain as I type, so I threw a couple towels in the trunk to absorb some of the drips. Not sure where the water is coming from, but I can see it dripping from pretty much the same spot shown in the photo above (although the GT350 doesn't have matting up top, so I can see it run down the sheetmetal from a bit higher up before it disappears).

Anyhow, if anyone has an idea of where it is coming form, please post.

Thanks,
-T