gaznp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 Auto Velocity Blue
Hi all,
I purchased a demo 2018 Gt 5.0, auto, on the 31/12/2018, 6600 kms on the clock, 31/3/2018 build date i,checked the oil today, no oil on the dipstick.
Firstly, so much for the pre delivery check.
Secondly no oil on the dipstick after 6600 kms, the car supposedly had a 3000 kms check before i picked it up.
I am taking it back in tomorrow for a check,and get some oil put in, should i be worried about how much oil it has used already, or is it just natural for that many kms before a 12 month service.
Or basically is the motor f....d and i bought a dud demo and i should pursue this matter with Ford management .

regards Gary
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
You should have oil on the dipstick for sure, are you really sure you checked it right? My dipstick is hard to push in all the way, so make sure you've done that. Was there oil on it when you first pulled it out? If not then I doubt it would even drive 100km on zero oil

OP
OP
gaznp

gaznp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
You should have oil on the dipstick for sure, are you really sure you checked it right? My dipstick is hard to push in all the way, so make sure you've done that. Was there oil on it when you first pulled it out? If not then I doubt it would even drive 100km on zero oil
Yes, i am checking it correctly, i have not driven it for 3 days, i just went down and pulled the dipstick, no oil on it, i started the car and ran it for a few minutes, pulled the dipstick and oil was quarter the way up, i cleaned it, put it back in, pulled it out again and nothing on it, did not even wet my fingers.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
It's a ten quart pan and no oil on the dipstick would indicate two, maybe three quarts low.

You've likely got plenty of oil, but I wouldn't be taking it out to QR tomorrow.

OP
OP
gaznp

gaznp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
It's a ten quart pan and no oil on the dipstick would indicate two, maybe three quarts low.

You've likely got plenty of oil, but I wouldn't be taking it out to QR tomorrow.
Thanks for that. Still a worry nothing there and only 6600 kms.

On a side note, put in ..Crashes at Lakeside on you tube , and check out the Cobra taking out a yellow Mustang on a track day on the main straight, pretty sad viewing considering no insurance.

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Yeah I've seen that video.

Just an FYI....earlier Mustangs had a smaller sump with an eight quart capacity and some "less enlightened" technicians have been known to fill the 2018 Mustang with eight quarts leaving it two quarts low.

Something to remember when you take it in for a service.

OP
OP
gaznp

gaznp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Just an update, took my car to the dealer service centre, mechanic checked the oil, nothing on the dip stick, (thank christ, i am not a complete idiot ), he put one and a half litres in and was full of apologies and said the car should not have been released to me like that and an investigation would carried out . He seemed to think it had not been filled up to the correct level initially , but to monitor it to see if it is burning any oil.
Thank you for the replies and advise .

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Just an update, took my car to the dealer service centre, mechanic checked the oil, nothing on the dip stick, (thank christ, i am not a complete idiot ), he put one and a half litres in and was full of apologies and said the car should not have been released to me like that and an investigation would carried out . He seemed to think it had not been filled up to the correct level initially , but to monitor it to see if it is burning any oil.
Thank you for the replies and advise .
When the first wave of S550's arrived many Ford dealers couldn't get the grade of oil right and now that the quantities are different it seems you 18+ owners need to be vigilant for that as well!
Hopefully no harm has been done as I'm sure they didn't put enough in at the last service.
Enjoy your new pony

SteveMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red GT premium
I bought a brand new GT mid 16, checked oil for first time at 7000km (cue roll eyes). Oil was just on the dipstick. I called dealer and they said top it up, then bring it in. I put in 1.7 litres and was half way up the dipstick. Dealer put it on a consumption test for a few thousand km's...used nothing and doesn't use much to this day. The only explanation was that it wasn't filled in factory, wasn't picked up in pre-delivery, wasn't picked up at 3000km service. The dealer, Chadstone ford appologised and indicated it shouldn't cause any long term issue. I then took it up with Ford who used the line that because I had topped up myself, they couldn't be sure how much oil etc and wouldn't give me anything in writing. After a string of emails and escalations I finally got a letter stating they would no expect any issue with long term durability. Whilst I'm not concerned, it certainly left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding how inept people can be.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Are people, including Australian service personnel confusing US quarts with litres and imperial quarts?
There is quite a difference.
Does the factory manual specify quarts (which will be US quarts) or Litres?

Didn’t believe my poor dash mounted fuel economy figure in MPG until I figured it was US Gallons.

As in aviation, gotta be across all capacities.
Sponsored