Sponsored

How are you protecting your car in your garage?

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I am going to park diagonally in the garage to keep others out. In our city you are not allowed to park in the street at night so the others can use the driveway
Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Why don't you send the Sorento to the driveway? Tell your wife when she gets a car worthy of the garage you will talk about it.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
From what you say, it seems you're hanging your noodles perpendicular to the garage floor. Hanging so they are parallel to the floor (horizontal) will likely require fewer adjustments upon installation, and protect in a wider range of fore-and-aft parking positions. (Quick flashback to the 1950s short-subject movie that—with a somber, straight face—showed the spaghetti harvest in a village in Italy. The spaghetti was depicted as hanging on tree branches and being picked by hand. Available on YouTube: )

Hack said : "I think if you put a car cover on a dirty car you will be likely to create scratches in the paint. If you wash and then dry the car every night before you put the cover on, that could work. Or if you don't care about scratches..."

Very accurate. When I had black cars it was easy to see the dust (and scratches) that were accumulated, even though I religiously California Dustered the car before putting on the cover.

There Is a real dilemma with car covers: most of the regular products , from cheap throw-aways to expensive car dealer-supplied ones are made to "breathe"; If they aren't, moisture condenses on their insides, so you have mud in proportion to the amount of dust present when you put it on.

The other big problem, for me anyway, is tha dust that lands on the outside of the cover doesn;t stay there, filtering in through the "breathing" feature. After a couple of installs and removals, the cover is a carrier of dust some of which it deposits on the car when you take it off. Vacuuming doesn't do much to remove the dust from the cover, which is too big shake effectively or put in the washing machine. So, unless you have a cover for your cover or a dust-free garage, you'll be dealing with dust no matter what you do.

If you really, really try, you can win the Mustang v. ding and dust battles, but at some point the preventive measures become ridiculous.
Nah, if i was gonna go to the point of hanging noodles, i would hang them horizontally (parallel to the floor) and have two or three to really make a wall, and display my craziness. :D

Pipe insulation from the hardware store would probably work just as well, look better, and be less expensive. (never bought a pool noodle, so i could be wrong there.)

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
There's kind of a lot of factors that can determine this based on the size and layout of your garage. Mine is just under 700 sq ft so I can pull the Mustang in head on while my fiancé can back her CX-5 on my driver's side with ample room between the cars to open our doors and still have usable storage space. Took a while to find a home with a garage that size, though.

One of the many asshole construction day-laborers working on the expansion site of my office almost merged into me on the way to work this morning as he changed lanes on the interstate, his car flung a rock up that put 3 chips down to the bare metal on the front of my rear right fender so I'm getting pretty close to not caring about small dings and chips from parking arrangements. There are too many factors outside of your control when it comes to shit happening. It's inevitable.

Sponsored

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's simple for me......my family knows the rule of the garage........NO ONE is allowed in the garage but ME!!

Simple solution.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That bird turd is still on the roof of my car...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Hack, don't be a bad boy, go clean that up now...especially on a black car.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I close the door and lock it.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I've got a new 2019 Mustang coming in a week or two. My garage arrangement is such that it will have to be parked next to my wife's Sorento. The Sorento would be forward facing on the left and the Mustang forward facing on the right. I've noticed that my current daily driver (Escape), has suffered from numerous small dents from the passenger side front and rear doors of the Sorento. I would obviously like to avoid that with the Mustang. I've thought about requesting that all passengers must enter the Sorento after the car has been pulled out of the garage, but I'm not sure I can enforce that. I've thought about getting a car cover to prevent the small dings that might occur, additionally it would protect from people walking between the cars from inadvertently scratching the mustang. I've also thought about taping together a bunch of cardboard boxes and putting up a barrier between the cars that I could easily fold up when I use the mustang.

What is your experience in protecting your Mustang in your garage? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks
I have multiple HEPA filters and my garage is humidity controlled - always between 45 and 55% relative humidity. Otherwise wood may swell up and warp or dry out and crack. Remember, your car doesnt have a truss rod!

Multiple battery back up systems for the air filters. I have eygptian cotton pillows for my tires to rest on as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have multiple HEPA filters and my garage is humidity controlled - always between 45 and 55% relative humidity. Otherwise wood may swell up and warp or dry out and crack. Remember, your car doesnt have a truss rod!
Are you a luthier? In addition to Mustangs I also happen to be an appreciator of fine acoustic guitars.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hack, don't be a bad boy, go clean that up now...especially on a black car.
Being that it's been so cold I didn't really have the option to wash the car in the last few days. I filled up yesterday but it was low teens and the car wash was closed. Maybe this weekend I will try to redeem myself somewhat. :)

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Well, I've got a wider car & a half garage, so the Mustang only gets to use it. I've got it stored with a car cover that's made to protect from tools bumping it & causing dents. It's also on Racedeck flooring.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I've got a new 2019 Mustang coming in a week or two. My garage arrangement is such that it will have to be parked next to my wife's Sorento. The Sorento would be forward facing on the left and the Mustang forward facing on the right. I've noticed that my current daily driver (Escape), has suffered from numerous small dents from the passenger side front and rear doors of the Sorento. I would obviously like to avoid that with the Mustang. I've thought about requesting that all passengers must enter the Sorento after the car has been pulled out of the garage, but I'm not sure I can enforce that. I've thought about getting a car cover to prevent the small dings that might occur, additionally it would protect from people walking between the cars from inadvertently scratching the mustang. I've also thought about taping together a bunch of cardboard boxes and putting up a barrier between the cars that I could easily fold up when I use the mustang.

What is your experience in protecting your Mustang in your garage? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks
Almost Every ding I have suffered happened in the garage....

dbegley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package 401a
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has her own garage separate from my two car garage. So no one goes there but me. But I cover both my Mustangs with a fitted car cover, then add extra pads on both sides of my new Mustang and one side of my '68 just in case. When we moved the movers left a stack of packing pads that are perfect for the side of my cars.
I liked the suggestion of building a wall. Let's keep those illegals out of our garages. I bet you can do that for a lot less than $5 billion.
The hanging noodle sounded like a great suggestion as well.
Sponsored