Sponsored

Supercharged 18/19 GTs

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2019 Mustang GT - 2013 XR6 Turbo - 2017 i30 SR-P.
Hi local friends. Just curious how many of you out there have had a Roush or Whipple kit installed on their 18/19 GT, how many KM have you put on it, and is it reliable? I was looking at the Roush kit for my 18, but was told by someone who has a lot of expert knowledge that there are timing issues, based on the crap fuel we have in this country, even at 98 RON. The suggestion was they may work for a while, but not hold up well with KM.

If anyone has done it, can you please comment with your experience? Any pinging? Mechanical issues?

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LowKey

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the real question is: has anyone here actually gone ahead and done it? Lol

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi local friends. Just curious how many of you out there have had a Roush or Whipple kit installed on their 18/19 GT, how many KM have you put on it, and is it reliable? I was looking at the Roush kit for my 18, but was told by someone who has a lot of expert knowledge that there are timing issues, based on the crap fuel we have in this country, even at 98 RON. The suggestion was they may work for a while, but not hold up well with KM.

If anyone has done it, can you please comment with your experience? Any pinging? Mechanical issues?

Thanks.
There’s a lot to unpack here and I’m reluctant to reply given that I don’t have an 18....
But..
Honestly, I wouldn’t stress too much about the fuel quality differences.
Using the Whipple calibration as an example, it will adapt to pulley swaps and octane changes.
In simple speak, it’s constantly trying to add or remove timing based on the conditions/fuel quality/temp etc etc.
I can’t speak directly about the 18/19 cars but I can say that the Whipple kit is top notch in terms of its quality on the 15-17.
Roush appears to be well made also.
The main functional difference is the way they deliver power. Typically the Eaton TVS rotor packs (Roush or Edelbrock being the main TVS players in Oz) will hit harder off the bottom whilst the Whipple sings up top. Again, I can’t speak directly about the 18/19 but the Roush strategy on the 15-17 was pretty weak, negating most of the benefit of the TVS rotors. No idea how Edelbrock stacks up sorry.
Just bear in mind that the Roush kit is claiming 700Hp at the flywheel whilst Whipple are claiming 725 at the tyres (stage 2 kit). Neither will make those numbers here in Oz with our fuel and headers.
Not sure if any of that helps?
I’m happy to explain further if required.
Cheers

OP
OP
LowKey

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks mate, good info. I don't think many people have taken the plunge in Oz so it's a hard thing to gauge.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks mate, good info. I don't think many people have taken the plunge in Oz so it's a hard thing to gauge.
All good mate.
If I were you, I’d be holding off just a little longer.
Edelbrock will he releasing a new one very shortly and Whipple have the Gen 6 on the way.
I’m not 100% sure of the specs for either but from what I understand of it, Whipple will be offering a flex fuel option on the Gen 6. That’s a game changer if it’s a reality.
Edelbrock are a few months away, not sure on the Whipple ETA sorry.

Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

Thanks.
Streetfighter utilise the 3.0 Whipple in all our Streetfighter and Hennessey packages.
Over the last 4 years we have kitted out a large number of Mustangs Australia and New Zealand wide utilising the Whipple supercharger with fantastic results and reliability.
What we found from the very start is that using the Whipple supplied tune can be problematic in Australian conditions. This is the same for most plug and play tunes that come with most Supercharger brands. To achieve your best results we would recommend customised tuning by a knowledgable Mustang tuning workshop. This will ensure that you supercharger package is perfectly suited to our unique Aussie conditions and fuels.

OP
OP
LowKey

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the reply
Sponsored