Sponsored

BUYING - What did you pay and is there anything I need to know?

TYS25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon. Soon to be MY19 GT
New to the forum here and looking for some tips before buying.

I took the GT automatic fastback for a test drive on NYE and loved it.

The sales guy gave me a starting price of just under 75k before negotiation, he said this was the manufacturer retail price. He indicated that I wouldn’t be paying anything near that though. I didn’t quiz too much on pricing at the time as I was only there to get a feel for the car.

The research I’ve done says around the 65k is more appropriate. I was just wondering if some of you are willing to share what you’ve paid, how far I should try to push them and any inclusions I should be asking for?

I’m hoping I can get them to let me take one home for a day or 2 so I can get more familiar with the car before buying.

I’m looking at buying a MY19 GT in auto fastback form in either Black, Magnetic or Velocity Blue. The only option I was considering is the performance rear wing but leaning away from that.

Is there anything else that you wish you knew before buying?

I’m based in Melbourne and upgrading from an FG XR6.

Apologies if a similar thread exists already, I wasn’t able to find it.
Sponsored

Five Red Lights

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT manual MagneRide Recaros. Ordered
New to the forum here and looking for some tips before buying.

I took the GT automatic fastback for a test drive on NYE and loved it.

The sales guy gave me a starting price of just under 75k before negotiation, he said this was the manufacturer retail price. He indicated that I wouldn’t be paying anything near that though. I didn’t quiz too much on pricing at the time as I was only there to get a feel for the car.

The research I’ve done says around the 65k is more appropriate. I was just wondering if some of you are willing to share what you’ve paid, how far I should try to push them and any inclusions I should be asking for?

I’m hoping I can get them to let me take one home for a day or 2 so I can get more familiar with the car before buying.

I’m looking at buying a MY19 GT in auto fastback form in either Black, Magnetic or Velocity Blue. The only option I was considering is the performance rear wing but leaning away from that.

Is there anything else that you wish you knew before buying?

I’m based in Melbourne and upgrading from an FG XR6.

Apologies if a similar thread exists already, I wasn’t able to find it.
Welcome!

My 2 cents, I would highly recommend MagneRide suspension.

I have it and it’s a bargain.

Check panel gaps, especially bonnet.

Check wind noise above 100kph from both doors.

Good luck

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Welcome Tyson. Interesting to read you reckon you could get so much discount. The upgrade cost is what is putting me off updating, plus the lack of Grabber Blue...

There are certainly plenty of new and used stock in Melbourne dealers yards at the moment.

Saw a 2018 Tickford enhanced GT with a price tag of $70,000. Didn’t have time to stop and read the fine print, but assume secondhand.

OP
OP
TYS25

TYS25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Vehicle(s)
Welcome!

My 2 cents, I would highly recommend MagneRide suspension.

I have it and it’s a bargain.

Check panel gaps, especially bonnet.

Check wind noise above 100kph from both doors.

Good luck
Thanks mate, I’ll definitely give the MagneRide a drive before I make a decision on that. The salesman said it stiffened it up a lot but I wouldn’t miss it if I wasn’t planning to take it to the track (Which I don’t) and as a daily driver the standard suspension would be better to live with. But I will give it try.

I’ll definitely be sure to keep an eye on the panel gap and wind noise when taking delivery of the car. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
TYS25

TYS25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Vehicle(s)
Welcome Tyson. Interesting to read you reckon you could get so much discount. The upgrade cost is what is putting me off updating, plus the lack of Grabber Blue...

There are certainly plenty of new and used stock in Melbourne dealers yards at the moment.

Saw a 2018 Tickford enhanced GT with a price tag of $70,000. Didn’t have time to stop and read the fine print, but assume secondhand.
The grabber blue is definitely a standout. Glad you’re loving yours. I’m pretty partial to a blue Mustang, think Deep Impact Blue and Lightning Blue are my favourite colours on the Mustang. Velocity blue is pretty close to LB but looks to be a touch brighter, not sure I like VB as much as LB when the sun hits it. Kona Blue a touch darker than DIB, can’t win here haha.

I’m not sure how I will go with the discount. I was back at the dealer today and spoke to my salesman there and he said there would be some extra money on the table for a 2018 plated vehicle. They have a brand new Magnetic in the yard ready to go. The media mostly suggests a starting price of 63k plus 3k for auto, on-roads will push it into the 70’s I’m guessing.

Sounds like a great deal there. I’m not opposed to secondhand but I’m not too keen on any enhanced models right now however. All the secondhand vehicles seem to be 2015-17’s, since I don’t plan on modifying it much / if at all, I think the 18/19 is the way to go. I think the GT as it is meets my expectations pretty well and feels quite strong, planted and sure of itself. The digital cluster and active exhaust on the 18/19’s seem to win me over.

Sponsored

Five Red Lights

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT manual MagneRide Recaros. Ordered
No problem.

Granted it is pretty stiff in sport plus mode but normal mode is significantly softer.

All the best with your purchase.

Nong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual Fastback Lightning Blue
Mate of mine got a 19 Magnetic Auto with MagneRide suspension for just over 69k on road in Melbourne about two months before Christmas.
Apparently VB in the flesh is stunning, photos don't do it justice.

OP
OP
TYS25

TYS25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyson
Vehicle(s)
Mate of mine got a 19 Magnetic Auto with MagneRide suspension for just over 69k on road in Melbourne about two months before Christmas.
Apparently VB in the flesh is stunning, photos don't do it justice.
That sounds like a great deal! And very helpful information before going in to more detailed negotiations, thank you!

There was a 2018 Magnetic and VB sitting sitting side by side at the dealership last week. The VB is a great colour, despite wishing it was a touch darker. I spent about 10 minutes just looking at them both and still couldn't arrive at a decision. I think for longevity of ownership I would probably prefer living with Magnetic, every car I've owned has been a similar colour. The VB seems like it will be a lot easier to keep clean though.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Should be some nice buying opportunities.
MY 18/19 prices depreciating at faster rate than early 15-17s were.

Economic conditions are tougher now.
Equity in homes diminishing, people feel less wealthy.
More stringent lending criteria.
Initial pent up Mustang Demand now largely satisfied.
New car sales down overall - I think by 10 % - according to ABS figures for 2018.
Sports car sales (Mustang category) down 30% or more for the year. Sports cars in general are discretionary buy.

I notice heavy discounting especially new verts.

Have seen private 3 month old MY 18s on Carsales not move until priced around $55k - $57 k
Sponsored