2019 stock tune a10 tire questions

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
How is it going. Here goes my 1st post. I just purchased a 2019 a10/3.55 car & have a few questions. I have been reading the forum for the last week to learn about these cars. Just a habit of mine every time I get a new vehicle before I post anything. Lol

1) What is better for a stockish power level car, 26" or 28" dr's? I dont have any plans of tuning it right now. Maybe down the road. I know the cars run good on street tires. Is it worth swapping to a dr with just a stock tuned car? Main reason I would like to is to be able to run at the track tire only events that we have every once in a while. So for a a10/3.55 stock tuned car would a 26" or 28" tire be better? If I did dr's I would install better half shafts before I run them.

2) The car has Brembo's up front so I would have to figure out what I wanted to do as far as wheel choice goes up front. There is a new pair of Race Star's with new 315/35/17 Nitto nt05's for sale locally that I am looking at. If I was to get the 26" dr's for the back & run the stock 27" tires up front for now would the car have any odd quirks or shifting issues especially on the stock tune. 1" tire difference isnt much at all but only reason I ask is because I just came from the Mopar world & the smallest difference in a track tire set up would make the cars shift goofy & just have some quirks that werent there with the correct tire size set up.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
From what I have seen, the Michelins that come with your PP work pretty well. I had outrageous wheel hop at the drag strip with the Pirelli tires than came on my non PP GT. After trying a few bandaid fixes that didn't work, I put on a set of 275/40-17 Mickey Thompson ET street Rs for drag strip use. They are 26.1 inch tall. They stick like glue, totally eliminate wheel hop and give me an effective gear of close to 3.70. 28" DRs would have been heavier and would have taken my gearing to around 3.40.

You might find that your Michelins work just fine. If not for the wheel hop issue, I wouldn't have gotten the DRs. I just didn't want to keep experimenting with different street tires and suspension parts to cure the hop. I was 99% sure the DRs would fix it and they do.

By the way, the 26.1 tires on the rear and 27 on the front cause no issues at all at the drag strip. Everything works fine except the speedometer would be off a little bit.

OP
OP

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks. Yea I have the lockouts, vertical links & subframe brace ordered. Those should be here tomorrow. Im hoping to go to the track this sunday & see what it does. Unfortunately I got a car without drag mode. Which may be a good thing for now as it will be a little easier on the half shafts.

I can tell the stock Michelins are pretty sticky for a street tire. Just driving around they throw up dirt & debris on back roads like drag radials do.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I didn't have hop at the launch. It was at the 1-2 shift in drag mode. I didn't have hop using sport mode either. It was the aggressive shifts in drag mode that gave me fits.

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
Go with a 275-40-17 or similar drag radial,it works great with your 3.55 and will give you around a 3.70 ratio like Bruce said.That is what I used to run my 11.41 and I also have the Racestar 18x5 fronts that will clear your brembos.

P.S. remember to unplug the nannies or you will get frustrated on every second run or so when the PCM cuts power through the TQ management.

Sponsored

OP
OP

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Go with a 275-40-17 or similar drag radial,it works great with your 3.55 and will give you around a 3.70 ratio like Bruce said.That is what I used to run my 11.41 and I also have the Racestar 18x5 fronts that will clear your brembos.

P.S. remember to unplug the nannies or you will get frustrated on every second run or so when the PCM cuts power through the TQ management.
Good to know the 18x5's clear the Brembo's. So unplugging it doesnt kill power on yours?

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
Problem sloved when unplugged.

OP
OP

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Are people removing the front sway bar on these? I did on my S197 & my last vehicle that I had with good results. How about the S550?

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
show us your timeslips before we can solve problems you may or may not have depending on your track or any other myriad of problems..i had zero problems with 100 % stock set up at stock power..your mileage may vary

OP
OP

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
There are no problems to solve at the moment, just a hint of wheel hop but other than that no problems. Lol Just learning what these cars like or dont like between this thread & reading back 1 yr in the 5.0 bolt ons, suspension, wheel & tire & drag sections on this site. I should be going to the track sunday. The da should be around +500ish. I did the BMR radiator support/sway bar delete on my S197 & have pulled the front sway for the drag strip on a few other vehicles with good success. I may try it on this 1 after my 1st track outing. I have Steeda vertical links & subframe brace on the way. My main concern with this thread was to see what height dr is better for a stockish a10/3.55 car(we are getting more & more no street tire nights at our local track & I dont want to have to sit out an event over not having a track tire) & also make sure the car wouldn't have any odd shifting quirks with even a slight change in tire size between the front & back. The last vehicle I had(5.7 Mopar with A8 trans) wouldnt shift right at all(mainly part throttle) if the front & back tires weren't relatively close in size. Its always better to gather as much info as possible whether it be sitting down for the last week reading every performance related thread since the 2018's came out or asking questions such as this thread.

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Are people removing the front sway bar on these? I did on my S197 & my last vehicle that I had with good results. How about the S550?
You can remove the front and rear sway bars to cut a little weight. Also I'd go 28" radial personally.
Sponsored