Recommendation: little bit of bodywork and spray paint

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Anyone know or recommend anywhere to sort out a little bit of body work issue and a few marks where the paint has been rubbed off? I'm stuck with onstreet parking and on several occasions over the last 18 months, i've had people essentially bumped into the car and then drive off. Unfortunately, i don't know who they are and as it's on street, there's no chance of setting up a camera.

I'll be making the decision in May as to whether to keep her or not but with all the issues with silly sods bumping into her and the running costs, i think i'll be walking away but need somebody to touch up the paint work and body work before that as the dealership may sting me a lot more on price.
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Anyone know or recommend anywhere to sort out a little bit of body work issue and a few marks where the paint has been rubbed off? I'm stuck with onstreet parking and on several occasions over the last 18 months, i've had people essentially bumped into the car and then drive off. Unfortunately, i don't know who they are and as it's on street, there's no chance of setting up a camera.

I'll be making the decision in May as to whether to keep her or not but with all the issues with silly sods bumping into her and the running costs, i think i'll be walking away but need somebody to touch up the paint work and body work before that as the dealership may sting me a lot more on price.
Any pics? You sure the paint has come off? Rather than paint transfer/scratches in the clear coat? You may be surprised what a detailer can get get out with some polishing, maybe a little wet sanding. Defo a cheaper alternative to painting.

OP
OP

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Any pics? You sure the paint has come off? Rather than paint transfer/scratches in the clear coat? You may be surprised what a detailer can get get out with some polishing, maybe a little wet sanding. Defo a cheaper alternative to painting.
It looks like it's gone down to a silver layer, not sure if that's gone to bare metal. I'm washing her tomorrow so will get some pics up then. Part of the front wheel arch, just behind the front wheel and to the front of the passenger door has been pushed in it looks like as well.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
people like dent master can usually do most of the smaller things that are non full respray

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
It's a bummer what's happened I wouldn't like to have to keep mine on the street.

Don't loose your Mustang mojo. It was great cruising down to Rockingham with you. Why don't you come to Howden on the 12th and let the SMUK guys talk you round. You could drop round with V8 MOTOR love those mods of his :)

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

If that was happening to me, there'd be 3 motion-sensor cameras set up inside my car. Sorry about your damage. People suck.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
If that was happening to me, there'd be 3 motion-sensor cameras set up inside my car. Sorry about your damage. People suck.
Yes you can get dashcams with a connected rear pointed camera. Check out Nextbase they get good reviews. You need good resolution for day & night.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Chips away is reasonably priced. It is a bit of a lottery though as to how good your local agent is. If they have a facility, it’s better to get the car to them. I had quite a big bumper scuff done for £80

OP
OP

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Gave it a good wash down yesterday afternoon. It looks like the black marks are either really stubbornly stuck to the paint or it’s damage to the paint, gave the marks a good scrubs with a wash mitt and it didn’t touch them. As it’s on street parking on a narrow street, it looks like someone has pulled out and caught the corner of their bumper against my passenger door and just kept going for the sake of it.
806CAD30-232D-45DF-A2F1-A296BB89BC41.jpeg
3A2BF0AF-E204-4525-85F7-9A8779AA7BFC.jpeg
C246B8DA-BE1A-4643-BDAB-80B922F49518.jpeg

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
looks like either the wing or the door is creased as the panel gap isn't consistent or linear they must have known they'd hit you to do that kinda damage

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That looks like paint transfer to me. If you want to DIY, try a clay bar with some dedicated detail spray/clay lube, or use soapy water - that's the next least aggressive method for trying to remove it. Failing that a light polish may be worth a try. Then heavy polish/light wet sand. etc

I'm no expert of course, but I think that's fixable without a repaint.

OP
OP

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
That looks like paint transfer to me. If you want to DIY, try a clay bar with some dedicated detail spray/clay lube, or use soapy water - that's the next least aggressive method for trying to remove it. Failing that a light polish may be worth a try. Then heavy polish/light wet sand. etc

I'm no expert of course, but I think that's fixable without a repaint.
Soapy water didn't touch it, i'll see if i can sort out a clay bar. Talking to a mate of mine this evening who owns a garage, he says a mate might sort it but see what he says. If not, mate at work does some hobby detailing stuff but i wouldn't want to use him and there be issues as the car is going back in May. Apart from these little issues, the car has been an absolute dream.

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Nah that’s through to the black plastic on the bumper, wing is bent looking at door gap and I bet door has a nice horizontal crease along it, needs a proper repair and paint job sadly. Door and wing you may get the black marks off with some cutting compound but dent will still be there.

Not to toot my own horn but this is my job (vehicle damage assessing) so have a vague idea what it needs :inspect:

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
try www.dentdevils.co.uk

ive seen some of there work and its good but as others say prob also depends on the local guy who turns up

OP
OP

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Local guy had a look, he's contracted by Volvo to do a lot of their body work repairs. He said most of the door stuff looks like it'll polish out but some marks will remain, to get it right though will most probably need sanding and then repaint and polished to match the rest of the car. Bumper will need a repaint and polish as well. Can't see any crease or dents in the door at all, it looks like the area between the front of the door and the front passenger wheel is what took the brunt of the force and impact. All in all, he says it'll cost a max of ÂŁ400, which will be paint prep, paint and polish and fix the dent.

Everybody loves the car round my way, always had people go out the way to make great comments but certainly boils the pee when you get situations like this and no one can be bothered to own up to it. Booked in for the beginning of February.
Sponsored