Sponsored

Break in Period

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You guys are making too much out of this subject. You either follow the manual or you don't. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Change the oil early!! I did at 220 miles and the catch pan had plenty of metallic crud in it. Much less at the next 600 miles change. And this is cheap insurance with fresh high flow oil filtration / filter at an early stage in the engine's break in. Getting on the throttle a few times is not a bad idea during the break in as long as the motor is nice and warmed up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You guys are making too much out of this subject. You either follow the manual or you don't. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
Probably because there's lots more levels of not following the OM than there are following it.

Norm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rober
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Performance Pack.
If you think these things aren't seeing redline on the test drive you're crazy. Salesman punched it hard in both cars I test drove before handing me the wheel.

I figure these engines are working a whole lot harder in the pickups than they are in a light Mustang, so a little extra pedal isn't going to hurt anything. I make sure the cylinder heads have some heat in them before I stomp it.

If it's gonna blow I'd rather have it happen under warranty anyway.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Probably because there's lots more levels of not following the OM than there are following it.

Norm
You are probably right, but I just find it amusing that a 4 page thread would be needed for this type of topic. Ah....what do I know anyway?!?!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I figure these engines are working a whole lot harder in the pickups than they are in a light Mustang
Average usage and peak usage are different things, and both are separate from break-in treatment. RPMs have more than a little to do with this.

so a little extra pedal isn't going to hurt anything.
I doubt there's ever going to be consensus here on what "a little extra pedal" means.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think the general consensus is that you need to drive like grandma or it will explode, and if you don't drive-it-like-you-stole-it you become a grandma. It's Shroedingers engine block.
Or the difference in outlook between a drag-racer and an endurance-event road racer.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Wouldn't a properly broken in engine benefit either use case?
Of course.

It seems to have been traditional for the straight-line guys to be impatient, going at least as far back as the first muscle car era.

Norm

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
On my 17 GT, I went WOT on my way home from the dealership. I also performed engine braking frequently for about the first month. Car has about 10k miles now and there is no oil consumption whatsoever.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I drove mine normally for the first 1000 miles.
Semi hard in the 2000 miles.
Hard in the 3000 miles and then change oil.
Sponsored