Sponsored

How to Replace the Cabin Air Filter

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
None of those are the activated charcoal unfortunately. Even the fram one is not ewsy to find. Ehhh i was hoping for an ewsy amazon buy but ill look around more.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Last edited:

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is the factory one charcoal? When my son is in the car his feet stink up the interior from the climate control system.

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)
Is the factory one charcoal? When my son is in the car his feet stink up the interior from the climate control system.
No, order the one linked above. It's perfect!!!

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, I was confused by the horrible foot smell considering it has a filter! LOL

I don't know that I've seen an interior air filter that wasn't activated charcoal. I just thought it was a given.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I covered this in my Amazon review. I can't say if the filter is directional for first installation (other than putting the grab handle end out). But since the filter is supposed to be reused, you obviously want to reinstall it the same way as it came out. So not good that they didn't stamp/mark it or remind you to do that before installing.

But the damn thing is too long. The instructions say it may need to be compressed some. Some turned out to be about 1/2 inch and the thing is stiff. So I was not able to compress it enough to close the cover and line up the bolt hole in the confined space.

Had to send it back for a refund.
K&N fit perfect for me this afternoon. Took about 10 minutes to swap the filter. Added a Bounce sheet to the passenger kick panel and I have a nice fresh smell. The 16k mile filter was pretty clean. I wouldn't have changed it if I knew it was that clean. But I never roll my windows down. That might explain it's cleanliness.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Finally ordered it today. I'm curious to see if the activated charcoal will help with my son's feet.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I can confirm the activated charcoal filter works great when I drive by a sewage plant, garbage dump or a car with a smoker! I also can't smell my son's feet when he sticks them up in the passenger foot well.

This is a must upgrade!

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Manufacturer Part Number: FR3B-18D463-AA GP58A MADE IN USA (2015) - from my old factory filter

PRONTO PC8155
HASTINGS FILTERS AFC1684
TYC 800197P
MOTORCRAFT FP78 (Member Verified)
Purolator C38155 - "Multi-fiber, high-density media traps 96.5% of harmful contaminants"
**WIX WP10195 - Says it is "OEM", and that it is Activated Charcoal but it doesn't look like one.

Potential upgrades: (Carbon filters)
Excel C38155C Carbon cabin air filter (Member Verified)
ATP FA-23 Carbon Activated Premium Cabin Air Filter (Member Verified)
FRAM Fresh Breeze CF12152 looks like a good carbon filter, but cannot find anyone that stocks it.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just have to bump this...

The job is not difficult at all, but I will add to change it out, the design of the HVAC box and the location of the filter element is in a VERY AWKWARD position!

Who the F designed THAT????

Why would the f’n Engineer design the S550 HVAC box and the filter element opening behind the glove box so that:

1) it is pointed towards the passenger side door (US vehicles)

2) the element door is so janky that if you pop it off it’s a royal PIA to get it back into place

3) you not only have to deal with getting up and under the dash and behind the glove box area, BUT also having to needle the damn filter element past wiring harnesses

4) the freaking HVAC box element insert location is CURVED?!?!?!

5) when you finally do get the old one out of the HVAC box, any debris that the element collected is now all over the passenger side floor!

I mean for crying out loud, What-The-Royal-F?!?

In my Wife’s 2016 CX-5, all I do is open the glove box, pull off the element door and pull the element directly out towards me like a drawer and BAM - done in less than freaking 2 mins and there’s nothing to clean up!

The S550 HVAC cabin element is a piss poor design and the Engineer who designed it should have to change those elements daily 24/7 without any access to a bathroom for eternity....

F’n eh man....

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The job is not difficult at all....

The S550 HVAC cabin element is a piss poor design and the Engineer who designed it should have to change those elements daily 24/7 without any access to a bathroom for eternity....
I'm guessing (hoping) you've never been selected to sit on a jury. LoL

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
ATP makes it for our mustangs, ATP FA-23... I installed yesterday....
http://atpautomotive.com/vaf/product/list/?cat=4&category=?&engine=13&id=11405&make=10&model=204&year=127

try amazon
Yes, just bought it for $13 prime on Amazon using the FP-78 number description says 15-18 mustang. One review said " Warning, do not forget to disengage the glove box drop arm control to prevent damage." Not sure if that was covered in the original write up? I'm not looking forward to this after all the bitchin about the location and contortion required. Sounds like goggles might be required :frown:
Sponsored