Sponsored

Anyone bought a car from Carvana?

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
Interested to know your experience with Carvana. I for one, am not sure how I’d feel about buying a car without being able to sit in it and smell it first. Seen too many pre-owned cars with pet, food, and other funk.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Had to pass when my bank couldn't get me $40k in quarters for the vending machine.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It is for people that pretty much do not want to spend the time researching and educating themselves on their purchase. It is a gimmick/value add service that will cost people more in the end versus an educated buyer properly negotiating a deal with real market information.

65 Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 X5M
In my area they only seem to have rental and fleet cars. Not sure I would want a car that was used for rental use.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
We are not the target audience for that. Anyone on an enthusiast forum is the type of person to do their due diligence prior to a purchase of this size, for the most part. Things like Carvana are for lazy people who think every USED car is the same. "Low information" types. I'd stay far,far away from that. Definitely a gimmick.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
LOL!

45141849595_65fa82c2bf_b.jpg

I've owned a Mustang of one sort or another for the past sixteen years including restoring a 1966 Coupe and building a heavily modified twisty turn track oriented naturally aspirated 2003 Mach 1. I probably know more about all generations of Mustang and have gotten my hands dirtier working on them than the majority of people that come onto this website.

These jabronis are probably the type of people that were saying Amazon would never take off in the early 2000s.

My experience with Carvana was excellent. I was super skeptical at first as well but after speaking with them multiple times and going through their trade-in process and vehicle purchase, I am convinced it is an excellent way to go for used cars.

They only sell vehicles that have better-than-average histories and you can confirm that easily on their website and speaking to the customer service people.

They gave me $2000 more on my trade-in than any local dealer was willing to offer and had some of the best GT350 prices I found across the nation, most likely because they're not trying to make commission, they're just moving product like any other distribution business.

My GT350 was was the exact quality as stated and shown on their website and has so far treated me well with zero issues whatsoever.

There is a 7-day return period where you can return the vehicle to them, no questions asked, for a full refund (minus delivery if you have to have it delivered). You can return it to them if you don't like the sound your farts make when you're sitting in the seats. They literally don't care what the reason is.

Beyond that, they have their own warranty company that will deal with anything that might pop up unexpectedly within the first 100 days or 4000-ish miles. Otherwise, they tell you what is left on the factory warranty so you know whether it still applies or not.

So, as someone that has dealt with them directly and bought a high performance vehicle from them, I would recommend anyone to give it a shot. Assuming you don't have to have the car delivered, there is basically zero risk with the return period. What dealership can offer you that without having to deal with bullshit negotiations?

Will you 100% definitely have a perfect experience? Of course not, but how many people have 100% excellent experiences during normal car purchases?

If you have to get it delivered and you hate the car, you're only out the $400 delivery fee. Not too shabby.

Anyway, the people that rail against it without ever having actually utilized the service are very likely the same people that love headlines like "Millenials are killing car dealerships!" - they're just scared that the world is changing and pine for the "good ol days" when you had to deal with unnecessary stress for no other reason than flouting an idea of perceived masculinity by pwning the salesman.

Did you have it delivered and if so how would you rank their delivery service?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Neighbor bought a Kia Soul for his daughter via Carvana. Said car was 100% as described and he would do it again. Would I do it? IDK. If it was a super low mile bone stock car, why not try it out?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Carvana gave me the highest trade-in for my last car. I used it to negotiate market value for my trade-in from the dealer, $3k higher than their initial offer. This after negotiating new Mustang price to the minimum ($9k off MSRP) versus other dealers.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I bought my Mustang from Vroom which is similar to Carvana. I disagree with what other's have said about it being lazy. Internet buying was the answer for this me. Everytime I buy a car I do tons of research to figure out what I like and what I don't and create my checklist. Then I scour the internet again and dealers for weeks to try and find several that meet my checklist. I live in Norcal where there are usually plenty of options and I did tons of research for several weeks and didn't find any cars that met my checklist for the Mustang nearby. In fact I only found 4 in the entire country; the closest one was in San Diego, one in Florida and Vroom had 2. I was making arrangements for the San Diego dealer to pick me up at the airport and just before I bought the ticket I double checked and they had sold the car. grrrrr
Vroom's set up is similar to Carvana- 7 day trial, $500 shipping, and the $500 shipping is refundable if you decide not to keep the car if there is something wrong that they didn't disclose. I was a little nervous and it did take about 2 weeks from decision to driving it but I would definitely do it again.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Any opportunity to avoid dealing with traditional auto dealerships can't be all that bad. It's all in the execution, though. I considered Carvana and Vroom when looking at Mustangs, but I read about someone's Carvana experience that wasn't all that great. The main thing that got my attention was marks on the exterior and interior of the car that weren't visible in the pictures on the web site. When the guy told Carvana he wanted to return the car, they wanted to find another one. He was able to return it in the end but I decided I didn't want to risk the disappointment and hassle of receiving something that didn't meet expectations.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
They are building one of their vending machines near where I live. I keep telling my wife we're buying her next car from a Carvana.....just because I want to be able to say I bought a car from a vending machine. :clap:

diegoaccord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Lancer Evolution X, 325i E46
I have to drive my car first.

I mean, I wouldn't have a Mustang right now had I not driven it. I was ready to sign for a Challenger R/T, but said I needed to check out the Mustang 5.0, just knowing stats. I mean if you give me pics, and the Challenger has a 2 tone interior, and both V8's, I would have a Challenger. But I DROVE the Mustang, and the pull stock for stock against the 5.7 won the car for me.

Another thing for used cars are 'We owes', a Carvana deal may not include these, or a chance to look for 'we owes'.

I have worked on the sales side of dealerships, though, and I believe many people would rather do something like Carvana than come in to make a deal.

"Hey, is there anyway you can have numbers, paperwork and the car ready, so I can come in, sign and leave?"

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Dealerships need to get it together or they will share the fate of Sears. There needs to be a big market change for buying new vehicles. Look how Uber has changed the Taxi.
People are paying more for cars now than the price of homes. Something gotta change
Sponsored