Sponsored

2019 Mustang GT manual weird sound question.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Hi guys. Another question. I went out looking at cars yesterday. I drove a 2019 base, 6 speed MT. I noticed in first and second gear there was a weird high-ish pitch sound that seemed kind of like air noise, or almost like a sound that you'd hear through speakers when there was some electrical thing going on. It seemed to be coming from the front, almost like through the vents, but not sure on that. Closing the vents didn't really change the sound. It's hard to describe. But it would increase as RPM's did.

It came on in 1st and 2nd after going over 2k RPM up till 3.5k ish under light acceleration, and as RPMs went up, it kind of increased in sound as well. It was not noticeable in 3rd, 4th, 5th etc, don't know if that is because it was not there, or it was drowned out by road noise.

We turned off the AC, that didn't make it go away. Turned off the sound system, that didn't make it go away. Windows were up, don't think i thought to see if it would happen with windows down. It was audible enough to be annoying, and certainly would bother my ears after some time. I don't think it is a sound that is normal, and the salesman did not know.

I've driven a couple other mustangs in the past (2018s), and did not notice it, but they were shorter test drives, and i was certainly more excited. This drive I took my time, drove it through surface streets for a while before getting on the freeway.

Is this something you guys have heard? My guesses are some kind of wind noise, intake sound, transmission whine(if that's even a thing) something with the HVAC, or some kind of electric issue coming through speakers. I'm far from an expert, so i wanted to see what yall may have to say about it.

Thanks in advance in helping me learn more about this car. If there's anything i left out that could help, let me know
Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
My 2017 made noise like your describing and more after I added the Boomba transmission mount. It shifted better, but it is noisy.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the reply's so far. I'd like to hear more if anybody knows more.

I don't know if we've came to a conclusion that it is in fact the transmission, because it really didn't sound like gear whine. It sounded like air, or feedback from speakers or some thing similar and i was hoping to hear more people general experience. Don't know if it really had to be moved to the transmission sub forum already, i was hoping for more opinions. But thanks for the help.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
This kinda sounds like a noise I've heard on my '17 EBPP. It's like a buzzing sound, albeit very subtle in 1st and 2nd gears. I've no idea what it is and It's not affected my driving in any way. My best guess is that it's something connected to the shifter that's come loose over time and rattles because of vibrations from the transmission or around there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
A buzz, like a bee? What i heard was almost like a air/whistle whirrrrrr noise. Not loud, or super shrill. But not a "buzz". I do understand we will all describe it differently, just hoping to clarify. :)

Beautiful car BTW.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
A buzz, like a bee? What i heard was almost like a air/whistle whirrrrrr noise. Not loud, or super shrill. But not a "buzz". I do understand we will all describe it differently, just hoping to clarify. :)

Beautiful car BTW.
It's more like a very faint sound similar to audio distortion. The audible level is closer to "unless you're listening for it, you wouldn't hear it".

And thank you.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
We may be talking about the same thing. It is faint enough that it would not be picked up by a mic. Makes me really sad, as it is a frequency i think would really bother me(fatiguing over time) and i'm really looking to pick up a 19. Hmmm, perfect reason to install an H pipe me thinks! :D

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, I do know that when I first got my GT base model, 1st and 2nd gears had a high pitch whine from the pinion gears really spinning fast as rpm's went up over 2,000rpm. As everything has broken in over time, that gear whine isn't nearly as noticeable.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Well, I do know that when I first got my GT base model, 1st and 2nd gears had a high pitch whine from the pinion gears really spinning fast as rpm's went up over 2,000rpm. As everything has broken in over time, that gear whine isn't nearly as noticeable.
Very cool to hear that. It was not there, or at least it was not audible in 3rd, 4th, 5th. So we may be talking about the same sound.

Or maybe you ears are dead to that frequency now? :D

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Very cool to hear that. It was not there, or at least it was not audible in 3rd, 4th, 5th. So we may be talking about the same sound.

Or maybe you ears are dead to that frequency now? :D
Could be. I've been so paranoid about weird noises for so long, I'm almost brain dead from the stress. I just drive it and enjoy it now.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I think i might have the same noise you're talking about. kinda like an air / wind sucking sound around 2k rpm? I figured its something to do with the sound tube maybe? or maybe thats just how the engine sounds like when you arent pushing it fully.

The sound goes away once i get on the gas pedal a little harder. But cruising around in low rpm (around 2k) i definitely hear a different engine noise, it sounds like wind/air and does not sound like the natural rumble it makes when giving it more gas.

Not really worried about it though, still goes super fast when i get on it =)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
When my 17 was new, the transmission would make supercharger sound in 1-4 starting at 2000rpm and get louder if I get on it. Now it's all gone.

OP
OP
ChromaticGrey

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
When my 17 was new, the transmission would make supercharger sound in 1-4 starting at 2000rpm and get louder if I get on it. Now it's all gone.
Very interesting, thanks for the input. Any idea what mileage it seemed to fade at?

I assume you probably just got used to it, and don't even know when it left. But just in case.
Sponsored