Sponsored

'18/'19 GT non-pp manual owners-chime in please

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'm looking at a '19 base manual for $28,777 (new). I think it's a good price. BUT.....would like to get some feedback from owners. Mainly do you have tick/rattle issues like so many and how are you liking it in general? Part of me thinks I'm nuts for rolling the dice on the Mustang GT. I don't want to drop $ and have any annoying rattles/ticks that I have to pray/use Ceratac etc.

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
They all are going to tick at some point. It is what it is. It does not bother me personally. But, if your “one of those people” that expect Prius quiet cars look else where. Having a manual or a10 has zero effect on what the engine does sound wise. I also would not own one of these without the PP.

moosestang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Vert
I'm looking at a '19 base manual for $28,900 (new). I think it's a good price. BUT.....would like to get some feedback from owners. Mainly do you have tick/rattle issues like so many and how are you liking it in general? Part of me thinks I'm nuts for rolling the dice on the Mustang GT. I don't want to drop $ and have any annoying rattles/ticks that I have to pray/use Ceratac etc.

Thanks for any feedback.
I've owned two coyotes. A '13 vert. that I traded at 70k miles, and now a '18 vert. that just had it's first oil change at 9500 miles. Both were/are daily drivers and neither suffered from the tick. Neither were tracked, but both saw the red line frequently. Either I was very lucky or never pushed them hard enough.

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
4,200-ish miles on my 2018. No tick/rattle, and I listened hard for it over time (even recorded audio and compared to my winter car). I love the Mustang. More comfortable than my Acura (to me) on long trips, and I drove it from VA to WI only stopping for gas. I skipped the performance package because I figured if I wanted to track the car I'd upgrade the suspension anyway. Plus I wanted lighter wheels and don't particularly like the PP wheels. So now I have lighter wheels and a garage full of Steeda goodies, but I have absolutely no complaints on the base ride quality .

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned two coyotes. A '13 vert. that I traded at 70k miles, and now a '18 vert. that just had it's first oil change at 9500 miles. Both were/are daily drivers and neither suffered from the tick. Neither were tracked, but both saw the red line frequently. Either I was very lucky or never pushed them hard enough.
Contrary to what a surprising number of people believe, taking the car to redline and using them aggressively isn't inherently bad, nor necessarily excessive wear-causing if using good oil and keeping things in operating temp range. Also, getting the oil properly warm as often as possible is important to engine life (evaporates off water and fuel in the oil).

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have an 18 base model with just over 8K miles. I drive very aggressive and to the redline often. Zero issues. No tick. It is an A10 but that has zero bearing on the engine and tick.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
But, if your “one of those people” that expect Prius quiet cars look else where
The Mustang won't be Prius quiet? Say it aint so!!!!
Piston slap/ticking and Prius quiet are 2 entirely different things.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
That's a damn good price, pick it up! IMO.

The tick is a classic thing that is overblown on the net. Is it a real issue, yes. Is it as common as the net would lead you to believe, nah.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
4,500 miles with no tick. I've had the rattle since 250 miles, maybe even before that. To me it sounds more like an injector sound maybe oscillating between DI and PI. It's always consistent around 2200 to 2500 rpm and immediately goes away with just a little more throttle or letting off. Mine is a PP2, but 460 hp makes any trim a blast. I've driven an A10, but no way would I be happy with an auto in a car like this. It might be faster A to B, but to me a manual is just so much more fun to drive. Coming from a full bolt on and cammed LS2, it feels just as fast in stock trim. The LS2 definitely had more low end, but ran out of steam about 6600 rpm. The Coyote loves to rev and just keeps screaming past 7000 rpm. It's a different animal for sure, but I like it!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm looking at a '19 base manual for $28,777 (new). I think it's a good price. BUT.....would like to get some feedback from owners. Mainly do you have tick/rattle issues like so many and how are you liking it in general? Part of me thinks I'm nuts for rolling the dice on the Mustang GT. I don't want to drop $ and have any annoying rattles/ticks that I have to pray/use Ceratac etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

You’ve tested the “buying new car” waters before. What’s wrong with the wicked blown Stang you have now. If anything you should be looking at some ordinary people mover to compliment the car if you don’t already. If anything, go buy a Vette before they go mid-engine. Variety is the spice of life...

Oops... You sold the Mustang? I’m late to the game - but why?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ve tested the “buying new car” waters before. What’s wrong with the wicked blown Stang you have now. If anything you should be looking at some ordinary people mover to compliment the car if you don’t already. If anything, go buy a Vette before they go mid-engine. Variety is the spice of life...

Oops... You sold the Mustang? I’m late to the game - but why?

Miss the GT. Regret selling although the Whipple with 3.73 was very hard to keep the power down at low speeds. You’d also run out of gear quick Drove at half throttle most of the time.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Not sure why you are asking only non-pp manual owners about the rattle/tick since they all have the same engine. Either way, my car has been perfect for 8 months so take that as you will. Every once in a while I might hear a faint tick or rattle when the car is cold, but it's completely gone when warmed up. I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat. $28-29k for this car is getting away with robbery. I'd go for it.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why you are asking only non-pp manual owners about the rattle/tick since they all have the same engine. Either way, my car has been perfect for 8 months so take that as you will. Every once in a while I might hear a faint tick or rattle when the car is cold, but it's completely gone when warmed up. I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat. $28-29k for this car is getting away with robbery. I'd go for it.
I know it affects all. Guess should have asked if base non PP manual owners are satisfied with the ratios.
I’ll be test driving soon, so I’ll see for myself of course.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I know it affects all. Guess should have asked if base non PP manual owners are satisfied with the ratios.
I’ll be test driving soon, so I’ll see for myself of course.

Of course there is this guy. He is the first I know that got a complete crate motor replacement and still got problems with it. He starts thinking about his options with a 2019. Sort of like your situation. 20 trips to the dealer so far. I can’t take that!

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Mine's a 2018 GT non-PP manual, i have the bbq typewriter tick and also 2k rpm rattle on my car. I wasn't aware of these issues when purchasing, but started noticing the rattle around 2k miles. In hindsight, the rattle might have existed from day 1 but i wasn't paying much attention. The rattle/flutter noise is annoying between 2-3k rpms and can be noticeable especially when there's no music playing or the HVAC system is off. Talked about these issues casually to a service advisor when i was getting first oil change done at 4600 miles, and as expected got the familiar response saying it's normal blah blah. To be honest, in the last few months paranoia started creeping in after reading some of the threads. I've invested a significant amount in this car like close to 10k in aftermarket mods already so if i had to go through buyback all that money would be down the drain. Fingers crossed that mine will not turn out to be a lemon since i plan on keeping it for a long time. Thinking about getting an extended warranty soon for some peace of mind and will be taking it back to a different dealer in the next few months to atleast get it documented. Now for the positives, I'm at 9400 miles now and still enjoying driving it all the time, there aren't any performance issues apart from this.It looks and handles great, very comfortable has a lot of cool features plus the suspension mods that i've done totally transformed it into a different car. At that price, i'd say go for it but you can wait a few more months to see what happens, i.e. Ford acknowledging the issue officially or something of the sort. The sad part is there isn't any other car at this price point that comes close.
Sponsored