Bullitt "Dog Bowl" exorcised

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Sorry to hear that. Hope you are able to return it without issue.
Fitment? Not happy at all. The paneI I received doesn't line up with the tail light housings at the bottom or the trunk lid at the top. The color doesn't even match. VERY disapoimted in CJPONYPARTS. I'll put up with the dumb "lines" of the Ford Performance panel before I'll accept this piece of garbage. Waiting on them to give me the OK to send it back.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
aileron,
How does the finish look on your FR panel? Just got mine in and it doesn't have the "perfectly" smooth finish of the factory panel. It has almost a slight orange peel look like a factory paint job. Haven't installed it yet so I'm not sure how it's going to look compared to the ultra smooth tail light trim.
20181210_135819.jpg
20181210_135819b.jpg

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
aileron,
How does the finish look on your FR panel? Just got mine in and it doesn't have the "perfectly" smooth finish of the factory panel. It has almost a slight orange peel look like a factory paint job. Haven't installed it yet so I'm not sure how it's going to look compared to the ultra smooth tail light trim.
20181210_135819.jpg
20181210_135819b.jpg
Mine doesn't look like yours; it's optically flat without the orange peel that shows in the picture. I also see a small "sink" on yours that wasn't present on mine. There is something about the plastic, though, that makes it a dirt magnet as anything seems to have static cling to the surface. I blow mine off with the compressor to keep it clean; I think even a microfber cloth would put hairline scratches on it.

Sorry Stang; that has to be irritating after your experience with the first one! I'd heard the FP performance panel was taken off the market for a while for the exact reasons you are bringing up; mine was produced in June '18. You might look and see if you have old stock that should have been pulled for QC.

aileron

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Thanks. It was built 8/13/18. I'm still contemplating on whether or not to return it.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Thanks. It was built 8/13/18. I'm still contemplating on whether or not to return it.
A few liftetimes ago I worked in manufacturing fine furniture; casegoods specifically. We had different standards for flatness and defects on horizontal and vertical surfaces; you may find that the FP panel is fine/acceptable when vertical and tucked under the trunk lip. The panel accumulates so much dust in one drive around town that the surface might be moot. I hope you get this to your satisfaction soon, and again enjoy your Bullitt instead of stressing over details.

Best,

aileron

Aussie Mate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt K1121 - (2019 Model) - Built 28 Aug 2018
I have just completed updating the rear deck lid...
I reckon she now looks much better and given the reduction in both weight and air resistance - might even go a bit faster........lol

upload_2018-12-29_21-59-53.png

upload_2018-12-29_22-1-9.png

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Aussie, the rear of your car looks great (bit I'm a little biased). Good on you with the plate; very clever! I like the size, shape and color of your license- perfect!

What's next, besides driving the snot out of it?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Was looking at the Steeda clutch spring. Will be interested to here how you like it compared to theOE spring.
Just get it!!! It does work. And, for the price, if you don't like it, you can always use is for a paperweight. It's probably the most "no brainer" purchase you will ever make for your Mustang. :like:

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What's next, besides driving the snot out of it?
That appears to be a highly technical, automotive engineering term that I am not familiar with. Could you quantify that, please, for those of us w/out your engineering expertise? And, when the snot is gone, will my Mustang ever be as fast again? Is it a Ford only replacement item (VIN required)? Or can it be purchased thru any auto parts store? And how much "replacement snot" should I purchase? Is there a "factory specified" level that I must maintain? Inquiring minds need to know. :frown:

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I replaced the rear panel w/the un-drilled version, & then found a set of NOS 2001 Bullitt emblems to replace the dog bowl.:giggle:
uH7Y3iah.jpg
You nailed, sir. And retaining the "style lines" accentuates the width of the car. Again, very well done!!! :like:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Since the Original Bullitt had a more matte back panel, I'm surprised no one is having theirs just wrapped in a semi-gloss vinyl. That what I'd do.

I think the semi-gloss wrap + BULLITT lettering would look best, but maybe using the smaller BULLITT/GT cap from the 08-09 may look better/more "accurate" to the original.

Last edited:

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
So...

Rethinking the Pony on my deck lid. Since McQueenā€™s car was a GT, would it be ā€œwrongā€ to swap the Pony for a subdued GT?

Donā€™t want to step on any protocol toes.

Also going to get the shiny black rear parts wrapped in clear matte.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
The original car had the center of the gas cap blacked out. Also, as you can see it didn't have a blacked out panel. Just bad lighting made it look that way sometines.

bullitt-find(22).jpg

1516311637807.jpg

s-l300.jpg

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
That appears to be a highly technical, automotive engineering term that I am not familiar with. Could you quantify that, please, for those of us w/out your engineering expertise? And, when the snot is gone, will my Mustang ever be as fast again? Is it a Ford only replacement item (VIN required)? Or can it be purchased thru any auto parts store? And how much "replacement snot" should I purchase? Is there a "factory specified" level that I must maintain? Inquiring minds need to know. :frown:
Ah, apologies for my high frequency-narrow band geek speak; here's an example of a Los Angeleno driving the snot out of his Mustang >>

[youtube]

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The original car had the center of the gas cap blacked out. Also, as you can see it didn't have a blacked out panel. Just bad lighting made it look that way sometines.

bullitt-find(22).jpg

1516311637807.jpg

s-l300.jpg
As many times as Iā€™ve seen up close photos of that blacked out gas cap, I could never figure out what was on it. I assumed it was the GT emblem but I just canā€™t see it on there.

I have given some thought to trying to adapt a ā€˜68 gas cap for the back but I think Iā€™m just really reaching with that idea.