swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Either it's completely random or it has something to do with the safe and smart option forcing a change of the lower harness.

If you look at mejohn50 his 2019 mustang is less optioned than mine overall but he has safe and smart.

88lx50 so far is the only one we know of with the plug but no safe and smart package. I wonder if his car has adaptive cruise control as a standalone option without s&s if that's even possible on a manual transmission.

The only thing we know for sure as of now is all 2018 401a with safe and smart have the plug..... We need more data!!!
I’d like to see more data from @AnalogDan at the very least.

Even if I don’t end up having the back plug I think there’s enough info now on where to plug into the harness. I’m not afraid of a little wiring.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Either it's completely random or it has something to do with the safe and smart option forcing a change of the lower harness.
I wonder if Ford might substitute harnesses with unneeded elements if there is a delay of a more basic harness rather than delay building cars. Probably not though, since I believe they wouldn't have an excess of another harness plus, probably not a big deal to Ford if they delay some cars and build others instead.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if Ford might substitute harnesses with unneeded elements if there is a delay of a more basic harness rather than delay building cars. Probably not though, since I believe they wouldn't have an excess of another harness plus, probably not a big deal to Ford if they delay some cars and build others instead.
Considering it takes 4+ months to build a car I wouldn't call their production planning stellar. Of course that's totally a Monday morning QB comment. I suspect between ticking engines and supply chain fun it's been interesting at the blue oval.

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
2018 301a
No safe and smart
No magnaride
No shaker
No b&o audio
Yes a10
No digital dash

No plug

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Started routing the wires. Followed the great instructions posted by Fishtail on where to tap the control lines. For routing, used the install guide for Roush active exhaust: https://www.roushperformance.com/media/parts/manuals/422100-instructions.pdf. Getting power from the same fuse and ground at the same location in the trunk as recommended in the guide from Roush. Went with the 22ga wire for control lines, but probably 20ga would be better, as this is the largest coming from the PCM. For power, probably 18ga is better, as originally, a 15A fuse is used for the two actuators (my add-a-fuse comes with another 10A micro fuse, so just keeping it). Routing everything on the driver's side only, as I pulled the power wire under the dash. Easier than having to pull another wire all the way from the fuse box (passenger's side) to the trunk.

Sponsored

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
431458_B4-2_C3_F-41_BF-_B34_C-_BD997553_BA70.png

Looks like there is a relay to make it so it doesn’t have power unless the PCM has power.

Then there are two data lines direct from the PCM. Likely data TX and RX lines. The pcm tells the motors where it wants them and they reply saying they are working and in the correct position.
I think all the 2018s have the fuse and the active exhaust relay in the fuse box located under the hood, even if there was no active exhaust, as mine does. Can someone tell where the connector C215 or C3806 are at? Could it be that they are near the passenger kick panel fuse box? Would be best to grab power from the VT-BN wire on pin 2 on C215 or pin 7 on C3806 (likely blank).

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think all the 2018s have the fuse and the active exhaust relay in the fuse box located under the hood, even if there was no active exhaust, as mine does. Can someone tell where the connector C215 or C3806 are at? Could it be that they are near the passenger kick panel fuse box? Would be best to grab power from the VT-BN wire on pin 2 on C215 or pin 7 on C3806 (likely blank).
Believe I found C215. It is on the bottom of the fuse box, passenger side kick panel. The connector is gray and is at the bottom, wire is at the top of the connector, left side. VT-BN wire shows 12V with accessory on and switches off when I pull under hood relay 59 (active exhaust).
C216.jpg

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
CVok2eA.png

ehazel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Believe I found C215. It is on the bottom of the fuse box, passenger side kick panel. The connector is gray and is at the bottom, wire is at the top of the connector, left side. VT-BN wire shows 12V with accessory on and switches off when I pull under hood relay 59 (active exhaust).
C216.jpg
Awesome finding Rock! This was it, I tested exactly the same as you did. I attached two photos that will hopefully help others locate and verify for their own upgrade. Wire is Violet with a thin brown stripe, second down from the top on the left/"drivers" side of the connector.

20181228_183033 - Copy.jpg
20181228_183314 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So you’re just going to add the wire to the female plug? I thought you needed four wires total?

Sponsored

ehazel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So you’re just going to add the wire to the female plug? I thought you needed four wires total?
The above is for utilizing the factory relayed and fused active exhaust power circuit instead of tapping into some random switched power, the four signal wires from the drivers foot-well will also have to be brought back.

Last edited:

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The above is for utilizing the factory relayed and fused active exhaust power circuit instead of tapping into some random switched power, the four signal wires from the drivers foot-well will also have to be brought back.
Seems strange they would pull the wires from across the car just to have power. I sure hope I have the plug in the back just to try to trace the wires back.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Spent three hours at the dealer today and I’m too tired to look under the car for the plug. :yawn:

SMUAlien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am the same as Kona:

2018 301a
No safe and smart
No magnaride
No shaker
No b&o audio
Yes a10