Sponsored

Trading my 2016 Z06 for a new 2018 GT350??

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Update based on forums members comments.
I mostly drive on the street, hardly ever go on the highway.
Mostly I like to blast up to 60 to 80 mph.
Where I live in Long Island, NY the roads are very busy and cops are just waiting to get you on the highway.
Never any track use, I just like to look and feel of the high performance cars.
Definitely drive a GT350 first, then. I think you should look at a ZL1. You can get a ZL1 with an automatic as well. Maybe in a couple years, the GT500.
Sponsored

Bolzen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I put about 15K miles on a 16 Z06, daily driver including the winter. I loved every mile. In a direct comparison it's hard to find anything "better" in the GT350 over the C7 in general. I'd definitely consider it a downgrade. Only reason I ended up in a GT350 is because I really wanted one. If you're not tracking they are pretty comparable feature wise. You should get a GT350 if you want one, I'm sure you'll love it, it's a great car.

It just comes down to what you consider a downgrade is, and how much that means to you.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I don’t see the logic in a move from a Z06 to a ZL1. I can see more logic in a move to a GT350R. You don’t see twenty of them a day...

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue GT 1194 RWHP
gt350....slowest 500+ horsepower car I've ever owned or driven...i had a 2015 z51 with a 76mm turbo before the gt350 ...i couldn't wait to sell the gt350

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Update based on forums members comments.
I mostly drive on the street, hardly ever go on the highway.
Mostly I like to blast up to 60 to 80 mph.
Where I live in Long Island, NY the roads are very busy and cops are just waiting to get you on the highway.
Never any track use, I just like to look and feel of the high performance cars.
Challenger Hellcat RedEye. 797 hp
That's what I'd buy for the street.

moto vudu

No Guts - No Glory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 50 Yr
I cross-shopped a 2019 Z06 with the GT350R and the R easily won me over. I've had some high torque/hp cars (C6 ZR1 and Viper ACR) so I knew what to expect from the Z06. It's really the overall character, driving experience, and uniqueness of the Shelby that I like the most. The Vette provides a nice rush of adrenaline when you get on the throttle hard, but for me opportunities to use that extra power on the street are rare. The only other car I've owned that I enjoyed as much as the 350R is a manual R8 V10. It also had much less power than my ZR1 and Viper, but easily beat both of them when it came to overall driving pleasure.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I have a fully loaded yellow 2016 Corvette Z06 (automatic) 5,700 miles with the Z07 package and every option.
Considering trading it in for a new 2018 black GT350 with electronic package, I will receive about $10k back to me.
Anyone here had both cars, and care to comment?
Is this a downgrade? The MSRP on the Corvette was $115k, that thing depreciated at an rapid rate. (should level off at this point)
Never drove and rode in a GT350, I owned a 2011 GT500 and a 2013 GT500 before.
0zKM4XQTTMuD4IWoC4aSXQ.jpg
PeaVG3p5T0eEJzdNk%r6nw.jpg
yea,get out of that chebby ,and enjoy the 350!!!

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
This all comes down to your hairline. If u are balding you must keep the Z06. Full head of hair, get the GT350R.
How true.:cwl: Don't forget the white sox pulled up too high.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
A few things about the R you may not like compared to the vette.

It tramlines on the streets and it can catch you off guard if your new to the experience. It can really grab the steering wheel from you in road ruts. My wife complains about the sudden pull here and there. I just point to the "R" Chassis Plaque on the passenger side and smile back. There's nothing like it when you hit a smooth road.

No E-brake. The current E brake is old tech pull handle. It sucks because after sitting overnite I find mine loosens tension a bit. I hate it because it leaves me with little faith in it. Maybe just that I need it adjusted.

The handling feels lighter than the vette which in my opinion makes it a tad more stiff and bumpy on the streets. However, I find that the Mag ride in the R is superior to my Z51's Mag ride in soaking up bumps and cornering. Thought I'd never say that but it's my opinion. The R handles it weight much better. I understand that GM has come out with a revision to their Mag ride at the cost of $300. I have not updated our Z51.

I assume you have at the least a 2LZ trim level on your Z. No memory seating. No electric seats (R).

Getting in and out. Not sure the R is any better at all. The R does not sit as low but the Recaros lower seat bolster seems higher to get over. They are definitely more comfortable than the competition seats in the vette tho.

No HUD as you know it. There is the shift light in its place.

It's possible you can have a plastic interior piece rattle. I have a rattle on the rear passenger arm rest panel area. Easy fix.

Panel fitment can be an issue. My driver side bumper where it meets the fender was misaligned. They weren't separated with a gap. More like one piece was not flush on the surface with the other. I corrected that.

Paint. Some say it's thin with mucho orange peel. I say GM has the thinnest around and just as much orange peel. Supposedly the 19 vettes have better QC. I've had my R paint corrected and ceramic coated.

Stress. The carbon fiber wheels, the carbon fiber wing...these pieces are $$$ to replace and/or hard to find. They are "unique" to the R. The other trim levels do not have them and it's likely they will not receive them in the future...ever. Unlike Dodge who now makes the Hellcat hood and bits available to RT's...

Well there is my take on "other" things besides HP/TQ you might be disappointed in from moving from the Z to the R. I for one do NOT miss the HP/TQ. The R is a better town cruiser by far and you can still spin up that glorious sounding motor when you get an opening. The low end low speed TQ thrill isn't there but not exactly missing either. The high end thrill is definitely there just not SC'r with pucker factor there. Do I think it's a downgrade? Not if you move to the R. But I'm not exactly unbiased. You'll have a much better devaluation outlook in the R. You won't lose any handling and truthfully you'll feel more in tune with it. It feels more nimble than the Z on lane changes and corners but obviously you'll loose the straight line fun you're accustomed to. Remember, in the R your driving a rarely seen in the wild track car. The Z, is just another vette in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
How did (will) you fix the rattle?
My rattle was up high by the rear passenger portal window. It rattled at certain RPM of course. Stuffed a little foam piece in between there.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
gt350....slowest 500+ horsepower car I've ever owned or driven...i had a 2015 z51 with a 76mm turbo before the gt350 ...i couldn't wait to sell the gt350
If you are only driving on the street and your acceleration is from 0 to 30 mph, I agree with this 100%. If you want a street only car and it's very important to you that launches from a stop are quick, the GT350 isn't for you.

But over 30 mph and on the road course I think the GT350 competes with almost anything. It certainly competes with anything near its price range. I also think the GT350 is a great street driving car. It's very well behaved at lower rpm and it can be quiet if you want it to me. I love mine as a daily driver.

edit: also in my opinion if you have the money to buy a GT350 or a 'vette - you owe it to yourself to get to a road course and try out some high performance driving. Especially the GT350 really works great on the track and IMO you will love it there.
Sponsored