Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Dude....

That bumper needs to be re-painted to fix the damage you just did to it, so don't sweat the previous paint-job. It does look like stone chips, and such things happen. Even if they're painting mistakes, if you had properly inspected it when you took delivery after the paint-job you would have the right to make them fix it. Months later? No.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
So I’ve had my front bumper repainted when I first purchased my car. The paint was peeling on the front and back bumper and Ford did a warranty repaint. Any rock chips I had on my bumper were little knicks that showed gray basecoat and looked nothing like this. Why does this seem to be happening all over the place and showing a layer of white paint now?

You’re right, I should have inspected it better. I didn’t think much about it because my bumper repairs with Ford were fine and it was pouring. Finally taking it out of the garage months later and driving it a few weeks to have it look like this just made me think something else was going on.

The insurance won’t repair all of the bumper and there are paint flakes on the other side as well. Is this what paint chips look like when your bumper has been repaired?
Let me ask you a question.....

What does it matter? Really, it doesn't.

I don't know your financial situation, but if I were in your position, I'd remove that bumper yourself, sand it and get it ready for prime and paint. Then take it to a good shop with the paint code, and have them paint it. Then pick it up and re-install it yourself.

It should be much more that $500-$750, with you doing most of the labor.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It matters not because of money but because I want to learn from this experience. I also want to let USAA know if I had a crap paint job from a shop they certify becasue I thought I was going to a “good shop”.

When I contacted USAA I was told that the places they list to do repairs are required to correct any mistakes within a given period of time. I’m still witin that time frame.

I’m just trying to talk this out with someone who knows more about auto repair than I do because that’s the only way I can learn more.

Idk how to sand a bumper, but I don’t mind trying to figure it out especially if it will save money. I don’t really want toss a lot of cash at this car when I’m trading it in soon.

I’m pretty petite but I would assume it’s not a hefty amount of work? Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.
Well, if your love your car, it's stressful for it to get damaged.

As far as USAA, just tell them the shop was crap (if you're certain it was a bad paint job) and move on.

As far as the front bumper, it's super simple to remove and get ready for paint. Youtube will provide any answers you need, it's really easy. And you can save a ton of money that way.
Sponsored