Sponsored

Suspension advice

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm looking to lower my car. Usually I do full springs, shocks/struts, and mounts, but was wondering if there's a substantial benefit to doing all of that vs just springs for a nice weather, maybe 2-3 HPDE/year car. Would be especially interested in feedback from anyone who's done just springs (any regrets?) or anyone who's done both just springs and shocks/struts. Thanks!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't say the mounts are necessary, but if you've got a base car I would definitely suggest doing shocks/struts at the same time as springs. I'm a Steeda guy myself and love my setup which is the Pro-Action Shocks/Struts (non-adjustable) and Sport Linear springs. They go together well and ride great in my opinion, very controlled and no bouncing around but also still very well mannered for regular driving. My grandpa and mom haven't complained about the ride at all...

The adjustables would be even better because you can set softer for daily purposes and firm it up for the HPDE events, but I've had no issues at all with my fixed ones. It is the same labor to do the shocks and struts at the same time so might as well hit it all at once, especially if you can't/won't do it yourself!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely do three things for what you do with the car:
1) springs
2) shocks and struts
3) IRS control

There are lots of great options. I'd be happy to help you figure out what would be best for your goals and budget.

OP
OP

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely open to suggestions. So far, I've only gotten new wheels/tires for the summer. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to have to redo anything either...so I'd like to make sure I things setup decently the first time around

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Main options from what I've seen: Steeda fixed Pro-Actions, FP Track, Steeda adjustables. Konis are another option, but less range of adjustment than the Steedas. Vikings if you are thinking more drag oriented.

CB005 is definitely something to do when you do the springs though since you're already lowering the subframe for those. Don't be like me and do CB005 THEN springs (in the same day). Do them at the same time lol. That also is item 3 on BmacIL's list above if it wasn't clear. I also like to recommend the subframe alignment kit to go along with it to ensure the subframe is always put back into the same position which helps to make sure your wheel poke is even on both sides and avoids needless alignments on the back.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely open to suggestions. So far, I've only gotten new wheels/tires, and I have the BMR CB005 sitting on a shelf for warmer weather install. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't want to have to redo anything either...so I'd like to make sure I things setup decently the first time around
Since it's a weekend and HPDE car, I'd definitely steer you towards a handling setup that gives up a little bit of cush for much better control and handling. It's good that you already have the CB005. That's one already checked off the list.

I'd get the BMR SP083 Handling springs. For dampers, the Ford Performance Track dampers are fantastic and there are a lot of happy people with them, both road and road course. That said, there are definite pluses associated with a Koni or Steeda adjustable. Steedas dual rate comp springs are very highly rated too, though quite a bit firmer still.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm looking to lower my car. Usually I do full springs, shocks/struts, and mounts, but was wondering if there's a substantial benefit to doing all of that vs just springs for a nice weather, maybe 2-3 HPDE/year car. Would be especially interested in feedback from anyone who's done just springs (any regrets?) or anyone who's done both just springs and shocks/struts. Thanks!
I don't think I've ever done springs without doing the dampers as well. On the other hand, I've upgraded dampers without doing the springs on several cars. Don't under-estimate the benefit of improved 'composure', or over-estimate the benefits coming from relatively small amounts of CG lowering..

Norm

OP
OP

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited: