Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I searched and it shows you have the aim solo 2 DL.

Can you tell me what type of vehicle data it supports? Does it truly support RPM, speed, throttle position, acceleration, braking, independent wheel speeds, coolant temp, air inlet temp, trans temp, tire pressures, clutch pedal %, gear selection, voltage? I've heard brake pedal is an on or off not a %.

I'm trying to decide between the 2 and 2 DL .

Thank you!
No question - you're a data junky, get the DL. Here are some pics from my telemtry at COTA. This is turn 12 apex right after the back straight. You can see that at the apex, I am at about 52.26% throttle and in 3rd gear since the RPMs are only at 3345.

upload_2018-12-17_10-35-53.png

Here's all the telemetry it gathers from my car. As an example, you can see my rear wheels are spinning faster than my fronts when I apply power :)
upload_2018-12-17_10-36-42.png

Only thing not available from what I understand is brake position and that's due to the car not having a sensor to pull data from. I've searched a bit on how to add one, but haven't found much yet.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My new wheels came in yesterday and I wanted to see how they looked before HB goes on the lift for a few weeks. Here's a sneak peek. I have photos off to @50 Deep for editing. Full posting should be coming shortly!

IMG_5723.JPG

capt_and

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'll be out shaking down my M240i and Miata on the 29th and 30th if anyone is interested in coming out to MSR Cresson.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So I tried a new testing method on HBs front splitter today....interesting results!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Damn these Signature Wheels never disappoint. As always, @50 Deep killed it helping me pick out the wheels, getting them ordered in record time, and helping edit the photos. Nobody I'd rather work with in the business!

SV503 GT350 Honeybadger Pt 1-5.jpg

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
They look great with the color of your car.

15pgnatsum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Nice! Had no idea you moved from Seattle to Texas, I did the opposite. However, I would never be in College Station (Hook 'Em!):thumbsdown::)

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Damn these Signature Wheels never disappoint. As always, @50 Deep killed it helping me pick out the wheels, getting them ordered in record time, and helping edit the photos. Nobody I'd rather work with in the business!

Car is total bad assery Kev

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

HOT DAMN! Very nice!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Looks great badger.

Looking for some guidance as you have have some of the highest track mileage on your 350. I'm starting to get up there as well and wonder what items you've replaced? I figure maybe:
- front rear hubs
- suspension bushings
- tie rods
- ball joints
- other?
???

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They look great with the color of your car.
Thanks! Super happy with the choice. Thankfully T was able to push me hard enough to go with bronze!

Nice! Had no idea you moved from Seattle to Texas, I did the opposite. However, I would never be in College Station (Hook 'Em!):thumbsdown::)
UT?! Ewwwwwww :crackup:

Car is total bad assery Kev
Thank you sir!

HOT DAMN! Very nice!
:blush:

Looks great badger.

Looking for some guidance as you have have some of the highest track mileage on your 350. I'm starting to get up there as well and wonder what items you've replaced? I figure maybe:
- front rear hubs
- suspension bushings
- tie rods
- ball joints
- other?
???
I actually haven't had to replace ANYTHING but brakes and tires (and fluids of course). This car has been so solid for me it's ridiculous (with the exception of the f%$#ing electrical problems. But mechanically, it's been great for over 19,000 miles (12,000 of which are track miles). BUT, I ran super sports for the first year, so that probably kept wear and tear down a bit. Things have definitely been more stressed since I went to Cup 2s.

That said, I'd think the only things you'd really need to keep an eye if you have similar track time/mileage is engine compression, clutch wear, wheel hubs, and brake dust boots. I'm switching my front bushings to spherical J&M bushings this weekend, so will keep an eye on how my fronts worn. Will take a quick look at the tie rods/ball joints too.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Productive day for me! Will be posting a video of the removal, but here are the cliff notes.

I removed the engine from the bottom. This seemed like the safest bet - least likely to smash the car with a giant engine hanging from a crane, least likely to be dropped, and most importantly, great excuse to convince to the wife I need a lift!
engine out.jpg

Of interesting to note, the entire cooling system (radiator, engine oil, and trans coolers come out with the subframe. You don't need to disconnect any of those lines.
engine out - front.JPG

I chose to drop the trans at the same time. Felt that I would have better luck disconnecting it from the engine while it was on the ground. And since I am wanting to inspect the clutch and change out the pilot bearing/rear main seal, this made the most sense. I left the shifter installed and just removed the shit knob.
trans from back.JPG

I also ended up disconnecting the strut from the knuckle/sway bar vs. dropping the entire thing. Mostly because I didn't want to deal with the weight.

strut hanging.JPG

To make sure the oil coolers drop, had to remove (2) 8mm bolts from the top mounts (which are mounted to the frame).
coolers top mount.JPG

One unwelcome surprise was the acid dump from my battery corroding the paint behind the wheel liner. BOOO
acid dump.JPG

Really hard to articulate how big this thing really is until it's on the floor in front of you. Absolutely massive.
20181222_171405.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to remove the headers, trans, bell housing, and get the engine on the stand. Will take pics and keep you all updated. Merry Christmas! View attachment 327512

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Inspect those tubular exhaust manifolds closely. Also interested to see if the matrix inside the cats is in perfect shape or starting to decay.

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Dang that takes some big ones. Very impressive.
How long did it take you to get everything on the ground?

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Also, what lift did you end up buying?