Sponsored

Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm 52 and have my '15 and my blown, stroked '05 which is a beast. I never have any problems or looks from people and occasionally have people make positive comments about both cars. I just enjoy them on the weekends because I drive a company vehicle all week. I restored a '66 427 big block Corvette coupe a couple of years ago and man does that thing get some looks. I live my life for me and the wife and let my competent, adult children drive them if they want because they take care of their cars and homes and I trust them not to beat on my shit.
Sponsored

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
I bought my 2018 Ecoboost PP just before my 52nd birthday.
My entire extended family gave me a hard time, "mid-life crisis car" or "piece of crap Ford."
My older brother, who builds and collects 10 sec cars disowned me because it was an ecoboost.
I explained to the first group that Ive got plenty of money and if I wanted a real mid-life crisis car I would have bought a 911 or an AMG; this car is a bargain and gets great mileage too.
They sort of came around.
After about 2 months of ownership I started on the performance mods....CAI, intercooler, exhaust and now a tune.
All the work done with my brother and I in my driveway (aside from the tune).
Now with the tune about dialed and the car performing great even he admits that its a great car for what I want/need; he's even itching to see it in the 12s like we both think it will do.

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I get the opposite reaction. I bought mine at 23 when I shave I look 19. People just think mommy and daddy bought it for me. But who cares, I bought it to go fast and have a car with a warranty not to get approval of anyone around me.

Last edited:

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Sounds to me like it doesn't matter what age you are after reading all of this. Someone is against you no matter where you're at. We could all drive a Corolla and no one would ever say a word. Well except for the old guy in the Mustang who knows he's cooler than you lol. Just can't win!

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
My wife tried to pull that on me...but I replaced a 69 Mach1 that was fun yes, but pretty unsafe compared to the 16 CS which has AC, ABS, power everything, Nav, etc., etc., the list goes on. The old car was a money pit that I drove 1-2k miles per year, so not practical at all. Now I sound like an older responsible person...crisis, what crisis? LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....you'll never convince me that creating an impression is not a significant part of the "driving experience" you like and doubtless enjoy.
Speaking for myself, I absolutely don't give a flying rat's ass about impressions. Not one bit.

I only care about what I think about the car, that's all that matters.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
In countries that sell RHD Mustangs, the 5.0L car is positioned against things like the BMW M2/M3, the Mercedes C43AMG and the Audi S4/S5.
All of which are turbo charged and faster than the pre-facelift 5.0L (we dont get facelift here yet, or the Shelby GT350). In fact my Polestar Volvo S60 is faster than the pre facelift GT and its significantly cheaper. So knowing this, its easy to see why people here don't view the GT as a good buy. Literally the only reason to buy it is because you want a V8 sound, and that ends up being mostly older guys, since that era is not something the youngsters know much about.
I wouldn't count 18+ to be much faster than 15-17 long term though. Based on pictures posted on this forum it is subject to valve carbonization despite also having port injection.

So it will loose some hp/tq as you give it some miles..

Google for engine carbonization dyno and you'll find that Corvette owners estimate average loss of ~2X hp.

Audi forums claim lossed to be up to 40hp.

Here's the link for audi https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

But I saw similar threads on other di cars and pretty sure it is a common trend.

Of course you can order intake blasting once in a while, but that is not cheap, and does not prevent carbon deposits from building up again.

I hated di engine I had so much, first thing I check before buying a car- whether it has di or not. If it does- it's a no go. Sorry, but just no.

They are great at passing 48 hour (or whatever) mpg, emission and other tests to go in specs. but beyond that you might not enjoy those lifetime ov your ownership.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
A couple days ago my 20-something prodigal nephew showed up for the first time in about a decade. His younger sister (who loves my car) had told him about it and he was curious about it. It was dark and roads were snowy, so we didn't go anywhere, but I let him start it and rev the engine. He said it was "cargasmic."

So, I don't think age or gender has anything to do with liking Mustangs. Some people get it, many don't.

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
I bought my very first "muscle/sports" car ever in my life the last day of october of this year. It's a brand new 2019 gt PP1 with 10spd auto. Why I bought it is that I have always wanted a fast car but it was never practical when i could afford it. I mean what good is a 2 seater when you have kids to cart around sometimes? So i was an suv man. I love 4x4's and beach trips and mountain trips. I always had 1 econobox too, usually with a manual trans because 4 bangers need that IMHO. But I always wanted a fast car just to have it and to sound/feel bad- in a good way. i thought about getting something old from the 60s or 70s and fixing it up but i really don't want the work associated with that as I have 2 other cars that I maintain- yes, 4x4 suvs. So fast forward to october and my son in the military bought a 2017 gt. The weekend he visited me with it, i really liked the car. i started to think, you know, life is too short, i have the cash, why not. That sunday we looked at a new velocity blue at the local dealer that was by the front door on display. I fell in love. Monday, went by, bought the car. LOVE it!!!

I am 48. In a relationship with a woman around my own age and driving the car makes me feel good. I am quite active physically and can toast my son on hikes. I figured I earned this ride and why not. Life is too short!!

I drive her on sunny weekends only and love playing 80's tunes on her as I do.

Sue me.

:-)

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I get the mid-life crisis comment as well but then I tell them I've been driving a Mustang since i was 18 yrs old.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I am 54 and I sold my 1990 Miata Turbo I had been “completing” for the last 7 years, lol, to get my Mustang. My Miata was a blast for my wife and I but kind of a problem if I was at work and needed to get the kids. Not much out there that is fun, fast, good handling, can fit four and affordable. Sweated going into debt for a new car but my wife pointed out.."If not now, when?" I am not getting any younger and time is flying by so here we are. When I brought the car home my kids loved it. I asked my son how he liked the sound and he said it sounded "Tuff!" Great description from a 10yr old! It is nice to pick up the kids at school on a sunny day with the top down while the majority of all the other kids get picked up in hulking mommy bus

mtooler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
FN GT Auto Mustang and Kia Carnival
38 and almost yet to meet someone who isn't thinking I'm having a mid life crisis, no one said this 3 months ago when I bought a kia people mover.

Deleted member 35786

I pity anyone NOT driving a Mustang (or a sportscar for that matter). They are missing out on one of life’s great adventures.
A good reason why one should DD their stang. One day your life can change drastically and your bed ridden for whatever reason and then you will have wished you enjoyed your mustang more.
Enjoy life to the fullest folks for you never know what is going to happen!

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I pity anyone NOT driving a Mustang (or a sportscar for that matter). They are missing out on one of life’s great adventures.
Well said! Unfortunately, more and more people are viewing cars as an appliance that you use, not knowing the enjoyment they are missing. Funny how a lot of people today use technology to play in 2D, what a lot of us have done in 3D in the past.
Sponsored