Sponsored

Poll: Cosmetic vs Performance

I have some expendable funds and I can't decide between cosmetic changes vs performance upgrade

• Total voters

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
IMO if you aren't tracking the car a front splitter is just something to rip off on steep driveways. An exhaust is something you will notice every time you drive the car.
As is a dialed-in suspension.
Sponsored

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw a wrench into this and say... NEITHER! Crappy, snowy winter weather and roads will be here shortly, if not already at your location. Save the abuse on the cosmetic mods, especially the splitter. And you won't be able to use/enjoy the performance mods until temps and road conditions improve in late Spring. Save the money for now and do it all at once in a few more months.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Performance because HP is fun lol.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'd go Cosmetic, not always, but I plan to basically do cosmetic stuff first, then once the car has some age on it I'll blow it. :)

**Edit: just realized you may be at a different 'age' stage.. so maybe I'd be where you're at.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
You need to get rid of that prehistoric cheap hood rod and the clear plastic coolant tank that looks like a coke bottle gone missing

Sponsored

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I say cosmetic. For the cost of that "performance" mod you're not really getting much Hp or optimal ECU calibration and it's something most enthusiasts would upgrade from eventually. I wouldn't waste my money on something so mediocre and costly.
Question, why do you say "mediocre and costly"? Have you had the PP2 and another tune to compare it to? Just checked one of the big forum sponsors web site. Lund tune + Ngauge + CAI was $800. The PP2 from Levitton is significantly cheaper. What am i missing out on? Are the Lund, AED, PDB that much better? One of the reasons I'm considering the PP2 is the simplicity and reliability of the product. I'm not trying to say the others are not excellent, quality products, but I'm looking at as though I can always go back to Ford. Will the tuner who wrote the custom tune for my car at Company A be there next year when I need support, or will he (or she) have moved on to Company B, and no I don't have the same access. One of the big things I've read on this forum is that "tuner so and so wrote my tune and read my data logs and tweaked my tune". What if that guy is gone from, say Lund, and jumped to AED? Will he still look at my tune if I have a question/issue? Help me out here, am I missing something?

Not trying to be a smartass here, just looking for some constructive thoughts / comments / ideas.

bigyzf, my 401k is already maxed out and future contributions are set to be maxed as well with the new bump (plus next year I get the catch-up bonus, which just means I'm old!).

Nagrae, I do find myself constantly looking at pics of the car! I keep looking at it and thinking, what if added a little something here or a little something there? Then I realize, I gotta get back to work!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Which will get you around a lot faster then a $2k exhaust.
As good as my suspension is, I love my exhaust and what it adds to the driving experience just as much.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've been adding a bit of both but I would focus on the suspension and exhaust before worrying about adding a few HP. You'll notice a nice suspension and exhaust a lot more than you would a few extra HP.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
You need to get rid of that prehistoric cheap hood rod and the clear plastic coolant tank that looks like a coke bottle gone missing
I agree with this. And some jacking rails.

Sponsored

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
Suspension and tires. Just a thought.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I have a fair share of mods and the pp2 tune is my favorite!

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Let me clarify the get the go statement. That includes the stop part. I did brakes (brembro calipers and rotors) and suspension, rims, and tires first. Yes that contributes to the show, lower car bigger tires, but that was a bonus. Performance is what I was after. Now I’ve done the engine part of go. Steeda CAI and tune. Next will be e85.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As good as my suspension is, I love my exhaust and what it adds to the driving experience just as much.
No denying that fact.

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Question, why do you say "mediocre and costly"? Have you had the PP2 and another tune to compare it to? Just checked one of the big forum sponsors web site. Lund tune + Ngauge + CAI was $800. The PP2 from Levitton is significantly cheaper. What am i missing out on? Are the Lund, AED, PDB that much better? One of the reasons I'm considering the PP2 is the simplicity and reliability of the product. I'm not trying to say the others are not excellent, quality products, but I'm looking at as though I can always go back to Ford. Will the tuner who wrote the custom tune for my car at Company A be there next year when I need support, or will he (or she) have moved on to Company B, and no I don't have the same access. One of the big things I've read on this forum is that "tuner so and so wrote my tune and read my data logs and tweaked my tune". What if that guy is gone from, say Lund, and jumped to AED? Will he still look at my tune if I have a question/issue? Help me out here, am I missing something?

Not trying to be a smartass here, just looking for some constructive thoughts / comments / ideas.

Yes the aftermarket tunes are THAT much better. The car will drive better, shift better, have more power through the entire RPM range.

And if you get a tune from a specific person at a tuning company, and that person leaves, the company will still take care of you. Each company pretty much has their base file for certain mods, and any tuner from that company can make adjustments and read logs.
Sponsored