Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Just like the title says:

I have 3.15 gear auto 2015 GT car. I want to put a Torsen T2R differential and Ford Performance 3.55 gearset.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-torsen-diff-1516.html

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-355-gears-2015.html

Can I do this? Will this work?

I am pretty sure the 2018 PP cars you can get an automatic with a 3.55 Torsen. I would assume that it would be possible on mine as well but I really don't know much at all about this stuff.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
if your not road coursing the car you don't need a torsen diff.. besides they don't hold up very well at the dragway..

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
if your not road coursing the car you don't need a torsen diff.. besides they don't hold up very well at the dragway..
My plan is to start autocrossing next year and eventually work up to road coursing- my ultimate dream. I am not into dragging the car. I am a handling guy.

It may be that I don't need the torsen. I have heard the clutch LSDs tend to wear out much quicker and doesn't have the handling characteristics of the torsen.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
I autocross my 2017 GTPP in CAMC. I have swapped in a 3.55 pumpkin (complete) and finished the season on it. I love the ratio which along with a higher redline really lets the car wind up in second to a more appropriate top speed. Depending on tire height and rev limit could be at or above 70mph.

I lost my Torsen when I took the 3.73s out, obviously. I’ve considered opening them both up and combining the best of each....3.55 gears and Torsen, into one case. It would be nice to not have to worry about burning out clutch packs in the Trac-Loc diff I have installed now, especially since I have a Torsen sitting sealed up in a crate!

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Just like the title says:

I have 3.15 gear auto 2015 GT car. I want to put a Torsen T2R differential and Ford Performance 3.55 gearset.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-34spline-88-irs-torsen-diff-1516.html

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-355-gears-2015.html

Can I do this? Will this work?

I am pretty sure the 2018 PP cars you can get an automatic with a 3.55 Torsen. I would assume that it would be possible on mine as well but I really don't know much at all about this stuff.
Yes, It will work. *as long as you change the differential along with the 3.55, as the 3.15 has its own special offset differential*
The Aluminum housing is not quite as strong as the cast iron unit, although it does weigh 24 pounds less.
The Torsen unit is pretty-much bulletproof. The T2R units that Torsen developed for the 2015-up Mustangs -Code named: "Peregrine"-, are built to last a lifetime.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
@Bluemustang I’ll sell you my OEM 2017 GTPP iron diff housing complete with T2R Torsen with LOW miles on it, and you can simply swap the gears inside for 3.55’s and put the whole unit directly in your car.

Maybe that will motivate me to get an OS Giken unit..... LOL

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@Bluemustang I’ll sell you my OEM 2017 GTPP iron diff housing complete with T2R Torsen with LOW miles on it, and you can simply swap the gears inside for 3.55’s and put the whole unit directly in your car.

Maybe that will motivate me to get an OS Giken unit..... LOL
That idea has promise! Let me send you a PM when I get a chance. Thanks man.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I wanted to circle back to this thread because I actually went through with it except - I didnt have to make my own because I found a Torsen diff with 3.55 gears already loaded - came out of a 2018 Auto PP car. Scored it for just over $500, about 10k miles on it prior. Helluva deal IMO. The Torsen T2R differential by itself is like $800 new. Brand new 3.73 Torsen from FP is $1,800 and as I stated I didnt want the 3.73 for this 6R80 transmission.

I didnt do anything else to it other than swap the loaded diff. Kept my Lund tune. No issues whatsoever - it has full power in all gears and speedometer is accurate. No Forscan or flare tool.

The 3.55 gears are perfect for me I think and 1st gear is still very usable. The result of the swap is amazing. Easily one of the best upgrades I've done to this car. The gears are big but the Torsen more influential, and you can feel it right off the bat. The way it applies power now is seamless. It puts down a lot more power in corners and you can feel it biasing torque to the outside tire and the car peels around a corner. SO much fun. Power slides are now easy and controllable. Also overall traction and grip is increased significantly.

If anyone is on the fence about swapping to a Torsen, do it! The car is so much more fun to drive. The Torsen and the 3.55s changed the feel of the car immensely. If anyone is looking for the same combination as me, keep an eye out for used one out of a 2018-2019 PP or ask someone who is planning to swap gears cause they went FI. Save money and get what you want.

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic w/ Dark Saddle In
I wanted to circle back to this thread because I actually went through with it except - I didnt have to make my own because I found a Torsen diff with 3.55 gears already loaded - came out of a 2018 Auto PP car. Scored it for just over $500, about 10k miles on it prior. Helluva deal IMO. The Torsen T2R differential by itself is like $800 new. Brand new 3.73 Torsen from FP is $1,800 and as I stated I didnt want the 3.73 for this 6R80 transmission.

I didnt do anything else to it other than swap the loaded diff. Kept my Lund tune. No issues whatsoever - it has full power in all gears and speedometer is accurate. No Forscan or flare tool.

The 3.55 gears are perfect for me I think and 1st gear is still very usable. The result of the swap is amazing. Easily one of the best upgrades I've done to this car. The gears are big but the Torsen more influential, and you can feel it right off the bat. The way it applies power now is seamless. It puts down a lot more power in corners and you can feel it biasing torque to the outside tire and the car peels around a corner. SO much fun. Power slides are now easy and controllable. Also overall traction and grip is increased significantly.

If anyone is on the fence about swapping to a Torsen, do it! The car is so much more fun to drive. The Torsen and the 3.55s changed the feel of the car immensely. If anyone is looking for the same combination as me, keep an eye out for used one out of a 2018-2019 PP or ask someone who is planning to swap gears cause they went FI. Save money and get what you want.
Literally about to do this exact thing with my 2015 GT Auto with a 3.15. The diff should be here Friday. Did you use the flange that came on the diff to connect to your driveshaft? How bad was taking the half shafts and everything else off to get diff swapped? What gear oil did you go with?
Sponsored