Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
When i had my 2015 v6, i put on flowmaster outlaws which were loud but too raspy and high pitch at higher rpms, also really droney...I eventually went to a stock GT exhaust and it was definitely better for me. It had a deeper tone throughout the whole powerband, there was no drone at all, it felt like it gave a bit of an acceleration increase, and it just sounded nice overall. The stock v6 exhaust isnt bad but it does have a tiny bit of rasp. Imo the GT exhaust should have came stock with the v6, just a more smoother and more deeper sound. I have a GT now and if i were to go back to a s550 v6 I would throw on a stock GT exhaust no question.
Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
When i had my 2015 v6, i put on flowmaster outlaws which were loud but too raspy and high pitch at higher rpms, also really droney...I eventually went to a stock GT exhaust and it was definitely better for me. It had a deeper tone throughout the whole powerband, there was no drone at all, it felt like it gave a bit of an acceleration increase, and it just sounded nice overall. The stock v6 exhaust isnt bad but it does have a tiny bit of rasp. Imo the GT exhaust should have came stock with the v6, just a more smoother and more deeper sound. I have a GT now and if i were to go back to a s550 v6 I would throw on a stock GT exhaust no question.
Thanks. It seems a lot of people share your opinion. The Pypes axle back I currently have sounds great at WOT without being too raspy, has a nice rumble inside the car at low RPM (especially when cold), and it's not overly loud. The only negative is some drone but it's very tolerable. I am pretty happy with it, but based on favorable reviews and finding one cheap I thought I'd give the GT catback a shot. :)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The GT catback went on today. I am very pleased with the condition. It was taken off a 2017 GT at 500 miles and sat in the guy's garage for a year.

Definitely a deeper tone at idle than the stock V6 exhaust. At higher RPMs it seems pretty much the same, at least from inside the car. I am happy to be drone free but I'm going to miss the other setup when winding it up.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The GT catback went on today. I am very pleased with the condition. It was taken off a 2017 GT at 500 miles and sat in the guy's garage for a year.

Definitely a deeper tone at idle than the stock V6 exhaust. At higher RPMs it seems pretty much the same, at least from inside the car. I am happy to be drone free but I'm going to miss the other setup when winding it up.
Nice...yea its definitely quieter but it does give it a nice low deep rumble which to me was perfect since i got annoyed by drone and the high rpm rasp.
I remember last year when i was debating on if i should put the GT exhaust, someone on the forum or youtube said something that kind of just made me pull the trigger. He said that it had a more mature luxurious sound and its was should have came stock with the V6s. Once I put it on, I couldnt agree more.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I just got used to the louder aftermarket exhaust, but from inside the car the stock GT exhaust actually seems quieter than the stock V6 was. Not at idle (GT is deeper and a little louder there), but when revving the engine. In paddle shift mode I tend to shift a lot later now because I barely hear the engine winding to higher RPMs. In my normal everyday commute I am actually liking it. The car seems very refined and moderate acceleration seems effortless. Flooring it is less fun, though. :)

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Ill be installing a 18gt quad tip on my car soon..catless with a x pipe and resonators. The 18 gts are far louder stock than the older s550s. And have a pretty deep tone. Hoping this will be a nice setup with minimal drone unlike my current setup lol

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
That sounds positively interesting. I'm hoping that it sounds really good.

Ill be installing a 18gt quad tip on my car soon..catless with a x pipe and resonators. The 18 gts are far louder stock than the older s550s. And have a pretty deep tone. Hoping this will be a nice setup with minimal drone unlike my current setup lol

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, interested to hear how this sounds. I wonder if the 18 catback by itself on a V6 woul be similar to the 15-17 except louder.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
@Fuse @MidwayJ

He did it already:

Trying a new setup...ebay shorties..stock cats..(for now) pypes H pipe for gt..2018 gt base quad tip cat back

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds nice. I'm not brave enough to cut up the bumper cover to accommodate quad exhaust though.
Me neither. I'd have to know someone who did a nice job on their own, and then offer enough beer to have them do mine.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Yeah hopefully i can get new collectors on my lethal pipes so i can go catless. Ill be sure to post a vid when i do. So far im much happier with the h pipe on these mufflers vs he sr x pipe

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Gonna be an odd ball question, but is it possible to replace the gt tips with something else? The stock v6 exhaust looked like it had enough piping before the exhaust tips to accommodate new tips. It doesn't seem so with the GT exhaust tips.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you take it to a shop I'm sure they can weld something in, cut and clamp might not work but not too sure, haven't had the stock GT ones for awhile.

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I wish I had done this from the get-go. I currently have the stock V6 catback with V6 2.25" Roush ABs. I'm not seeing too many 2.25" x-pipes (I refuse to purchase Dronemaster)... I don't think it would be worth it to sell the V6 ABs and start from scratch. Would like to get the Steeda x-pipe, but am weary about using adapters - does anyone have a similar setup?
Sponsored