Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I'm 48. I had a couple of Firebird Formula's in my younger days, a 74 and then a 98. I had a series of more practical cars and trucks after that and just decided I wanted something fun again as a daily. I've never really considered a Mustang a midlife car because of the wide range of ages that drive them. Vettes and Porsches are what I think of as midlife cars. I haven't heard any midlife comments from people, just compliments on how the car looks. I will say this car has made me more a car guy again and I'd like to get an older GT to have as a weekend car, maybe a 13 or 14.
Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I was 45 when I got my 2015 Mustang. I really don’t care what other people think. My wife wanted me to get it, she enjoys it with me and is now part of the hobby. When we’re ready, it will fit a baby seat, but we have a Ford Escape for that anyway. I think people should get what they want. We only live once so if you can afford it and it is something that will make you happy, then go for it. It still makes me smile every time I look at it, and driving it wipes away the stress of the work day. What more do I need?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I was just chatting on Face Book (kinda slow at work right now) about how some women I know have rather snide attitudes about older guys with Mustangs.

"I love it when females I know toss out hints about how they perceive middle-aged men in Mustangs/Camaros/etc. Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth.

The easiest way to deflect the non-sense is to mention that such cars attract other dudes virtually exclusively. It takes too long to explain the fun/hobby/relaxation/enjoyment, etc. to people that view cars as nothing more than a necessary evil."

I think that most car-guys experience such silly crap. Thoughts?
I don't give 2 shits and a rats ass what anyone thinks, especially a bunch of cork sniffing, self important hens. The best advice I ever got from my father was, "mind your own f*cking business".

Last edited:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
This isn't a gender specific topic. The women the OP is quoting appear to be bitter females as Maggneto points out. One could easily conclude the same thing when seeing 40+ year old women driving down the road in her luxury sport convertibles -- top down -- blonde hair pulled back in a pony tail poking out from under an official NFL logo ball cap, and made up like their going to their Senior prom...at noontime. Same concept different gender. One can't buy a youthful disposition, only a youthful appearance. Without the former the latter becomes a hollow attempt at retaining youth regardless of gender, car selection, dress style, plastic surgery, serolvital or extenz. But to each his/her own.

An older man entered the store where I was working years ago. The year was 1990. The gent made a purchase. came to check out and told me he would pay on his credit card because at his age he may not wake up in the morning and it would be someone else's problem to deal with -- doing so in a very jocular manner. He appeared about 65-70. I told him so and assured him he had plenty of years ahead of himself. He thanked me and chuckled and then pulled out his drivers license. He asked me to look at his birth date and upon doing so I saw that it clearly said 1897. He was 93 and still driving and walking without a cane. He had taken reasonable care of himself but more importantly exuded a love for life that equated to a very youthful disposition. I have never forgotten that 5 minute interaction and hope to retain my youth in the same manner. Youthful appearance comes from the soul not the wallet I learned that day. Some of the most youthful resilient people I have met have gray hair, and can barely move with a walker, but they still have a youthful spirit and are a joy to be around....regardless of their age of physical appearance.

Like many others I was not in a position financially to own a Mustang GT when I was younger. My parents weren't rich so they could buy me one in high school. Truth is I would have likely killed myself in it anyway. Got my first Mustang when I was 39 and finally financially capable of affording a GT, though used. I could swing the payments the insurance and the operating expenses finally. I an on my 5th one now and one because I love the thrill of G-force. Entrance ramps are launch pads. A trip to the track is as fun as a trip to Cedar Point to ride the coasters. I wanted a Mustang as early as I can remember when I first started taking an interest in cars. As for Corvettes...I just never cared for them though I can appreciate the pre 1970 models.

Here endeth the story...LOL!

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I was 60 when I got my MY19 Bullitt. When I told my son (33) that I had ordered it, he told me I was crazy...…..until I pulled it into his driveway......Now he thinks I'm cool......He loves it...….

My wife is funny. She got mad at me when I told her I had ordered it (didn't run it by her, because she would have said NO), She doesn't openly say much, but I know she secretly likes it and thinks it's cool. Her out of town cousin posted a picture of one on FB saying she would love to have one. My wife was very quick to respond we had one...…….

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't afford my 1st Mustang until I was 55 that's when I bought my 15 convertible I got it with the wife's blessings. I have grown up around Mustangs my dad bought my mom a brand new 68 Mustang hard top Candy Apple Red and I was hooked. I've worked at Ford dealers over the years and I was the one who put the front air dam on the 1st 1982 GT to arrive at the dealership. When people ask me if it's my mid life crises car I jokingly say No it's my gift from my wife for surviving my mid life crises.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I don’t have time to read all the replies.

I will be 60 next year. I have all my hair and nobody thinks I’m that old. I’m divorced and can get women if any show interest. No women will show interest. So get that fantasy out of your mind. You are just another old man. For me I lucked out on this V6. I don’t drive fast anymore except for the old fart version of road rage - where you feel guilty afterward. If I got a GT my contemporaries would just ask “How old are you?” so it’s like that. They expect me to drive a V6 Mustang so I do. I almost bought a GT but no go there so it’s Corvette time like the other old farts before I hang up the keys.

My new documentary premieres at this lavish old theatre next Saturday. I produce music for horrible reality TV shows I occasionally air. I do advocacy at the UN. And no women for me. So forget about what woman think because it’s all over when your my age. Do what you want.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If I got a GT my contemporaries would just ask “How old are you?” so it’s like that. They expect me to drive a V6 Mustang so I do.
Stories like that make me so damn glad I never worried about what my contemporaries ever thought about my automotive preferences. They didn't understand when I was in my 40's. Or in my 20's and 30's either . . . and I didn't care then. When 60 rolled around and I got my '08, it simply didn't matter to me what they thought. But I think by then, it didn't exactly surprise any of the ones who were still there.

My wife (of 48 years and change) has nearly always supported me when it came to car-related decisions. Including the Mustang purchase.

Norm

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Stories like that make me so damn glad I never worried about what my contemporaries ever thought about my automotive preferences. They didn't understand when I was in my 40's. Or in my 20's and 30's either . . . and I didn't care then. When 60 rolled around and I got my '08, it simply didn't matter to me what they thought. But I think by then, it didn't exactly surprise any of the ones who were still there.

My wife (of 48 years and change) has nearly always supported me when it came to car-related decisions. Including the Mustang purchase.

Norm

I should tell you Norm that I had a model in my car yesterday and maybe people thought something was going on. But we were just driving to a coffee shop as she signs the payroll and Christmas bonuses for this company I own. She is very pregnant and working from home now but you would not know it in the car. So even if you think the old fart in a Mustang is getting it - he isn’t. Plus the coffee spilled all over the console as I pulled up to her house. Another fantasy busted.

I sort of feel bad busting this bubble for the other guys. Like telling children the truth about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. A hot car does matter when you are in your twenties and looking for a wife. It doesn’t matter later on. Accept that and you’ll sleep better at night.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
So, after reading these comments, does anybody really believe you can pick up girls because they drive a mustang?

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1 (Race Red)
So, after reading these comments, does anybody really believe you can pick up girls because they drive a mustang?
I think the middle agers actually have a better shot. Mustangs are even less likely to be perceived as a status symbol for young drivers as far a I can tell, as they are American made. The import luxury brands fill that role.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I am past the mid life crisis stage of my life. I got mine just because I liked the body lines and that it was reliable for a performance street car.
Sponsored