Sponsored

Taller tires

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rober
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Performance Pack.
I'm looking to fit the TALLEST tires (aspect ratio) that I can on a 2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack with the 19" wheels.

Streets in Vegas are greasy as hell, and the Michelin pilot sports are like a pig on roller skates when it's cold outside. Plus the broken pavement out here is rough as hell, and a bit more sidewall would soften the ride up a bit. I know I'm gonna give up some corner burning ability, but hopefully a bit of sidewall flex will help the tires grab better under power which is where I'm having most of my issues anyway.

I've found 255/45R19 fronts and 275/45R19 rears, but has anyone gone bigger? I've found some all season 255/55R19 and 275/55R19, but I'm not sure if they'd fit under the wheel wells. If my math is right, the 55 aspect ratio tire would be over an inch taller sidewall.

Yes, I know it's gonna look a little funny with taller tires, and I don't care. TBH I kinda like the look of taller, meatier tires on the car as opposed to the low profile rubber bands that are currently wrapped around the rims now.
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to go with a square setup of 275/40-19 on mine if that helps

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
158D86C4-D886-4471-B261-FD6144496264.jpeg
275/40/20 are just a hair too tall for the front but are okay in back. 265/40/20 are the tallest for the front at 28.36” but the tallest for the rear are 315/35/20 at 28.68” in diameter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rober
Vehicle(s)
I think you bought the wrong car
LOL - nope. Car is great, just the stock tires are greasy and slippery when cold which is all the time right now.

Performance pack may not have been the perfect option package for me, but brakes, LSD, shock tower brace, and bigger rad were too nice to pass up. Wheels looked better than anything else on the lot too. Ford offers plenty of other tire options, just not with all of the above. Cheaper to buy tires than add all the rest, but I suspect you were joking - especially on a forum dedicated to Mustang modifications.

You can fix it with base GT springs, doubt if the tire sidewall will make much of a difference.
TBH I just like the look of a taller, meatier tire under the car, and for all the hype about the pilot sports they don't measure up to other mustangs I've driven with all season tires. The less sporty tires have much more predictable handling for most of the driving I do. Springs would be a last resort, and wouldn't do anything about the cold weather handling.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rober
Vehicle(s)
Looks like I'll be ok with the 255/45R19 fronts and 275/45R19 rears but not much more than that.

At least they'll be about an inch taller front and rear and fill out the wheel wells a bit better. Nitto Motivos should fit the bill nicely, and with a 60k mile warranty I can get the rears replaced free a few times. LOL.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hope they work out well. It didn't surprise me there wasn't much positive feedback on bigger sidewalls. The almost pimp look is popular here.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rober
Vehicle(s)
Hope they work out well. It didn't surprise me there wasn't much positive feedback on bigger sidewalls. The almost pimp look is popular here.
Different strokes I suppose. I grew up around drag cars and muscle cars that all had plenty of meat on the tires on 15" rims. Maybe I'll paint my taller sidewalls so I don't lose cred with the group. Blang blang!

ofXoHJX.jpg

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Im going to be putting 295 35 20's on the front 305 35 20s on the rear with my new velgen classic5 v2's. 20x10 and 20x11. Hopefully no problems with rubbing on the front but I do have adjustable coilovers so I may be able to raise the front up a bit if I have to. The rears will be fine for sure since I currently have 315 35 20s on the back. Currently running 265 40 19s on the front with my pp1 wheels, no problems.

I like running taller tires because they remove some wheel gap and fill the fenders out better, and make your car look lowered while actually raising it up slightly higher.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hoosier is a good tire, only problem I ever had was finding & getting them. Ended up mail ordering them 60% of the time when needed.

Pricing is high cause limited production ...

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Tire selection sucks at the stock diameter. It just gets worse trying to go bigger. This is why most people end up fitting shorter tires.

But for grip, tire compound and construction are going to matter more than aspect ratio/sidewall height.

P.S. Isn't Vegas dry & hot? I wouldn't think you needed anything but summer tires.
Sponsored