Sponsored

Rear Wheel Widening.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Tires came in early so I'll try and get them mounted Monday if possible. These Nitto 315/30 20 are a brand new size just came out this Nov. Nitto NT555 run wide compared to other brands, the Dunlop 325/30 I had returned because they were old stock are as wide as these 315/30's. Here are some pics and measurements of the tire and the widened 12" wheel. It looks like with the measurements theses tire should fit just a hint of stretch, but mounting well tell.

Wheels from Rim outer edge to edge 12 3/4"
Wheel inner beed seat 11 3/4"

Tire inner bead edge to edge 11 1/2"
Tire tread width 12"
Tire overall width 12 7/8"
o%zNQ6EFSqilGlaVavlihg.jpg
7Cg622ccSUyJLNk9KJyrdA.jpg
8rKTVpneQEa6vJt6czbhAQ.jpg
PJhkz1JBSwqOnHvAMfqP3g.jpg
ZMx6rnS5SVWBJ9xt64KHIA.jpg
tNWsAzz4RfyK9wyAuwUA0w.jpg
DYTLSOW0RRG5wzml+j9OMg.jpg
8Crp9X9GQ5CYtL2Rv4DpzQ.jpg
Iz%9ehzsQ%CtTKVijYvGXw.jpg
+iFXN55dTH+GJJbrbAc0zA.jpg
So much good data here-thank you! I love this wheel width / offset/ wide tire data shit.
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So much good data here-thank you! I love this wheel width / offset/ wide tire data shit.
Me to, and I did a shit load of research before hand looking to find what tires sizes look right on a 12” wheel. Hard to find really. I also like low profile and a little tire stretch on my wheels.

OP
OP
Daryl333

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Me to, and I did a shit load of research before hand looking to find what tires sizes look right on a 12” wheel. Hard to find really. I also like low profile and a little tire stretch on my wheels.
Lol that's funny I like just the opposite. Tall sidewall and a little bulge. Just goes to show that everybody can have their own tastes and do their builds to suit. Are you guys running spacers?
I'm doing 20MM front and back.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Lol that's funny I like just the opposite. Tall sidewall and a little bulge. Just goes to show that everybody can have their own tastes and do their builds to suit. Are you guys running spacers?
I'm doing 20MM front and back.
I like the looks of fatty tire with a little bulge, just like low pro better. Yeah so many nice ways to setup these cars for a really muscular looks. Running 20x10 35 offset with 255/30 up front with 1/4” spacer. No spacer in the rear as I like the slightly tucked in look.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Nice, almost ready for the wider pair?
Yes, Weldcraft called me on Friday with the shipping and billing info and then they were shipping them out that day. I imagine I'll get them on Wed or so, and then get the tires mtd and balanced, then I'll sand, primer and paint and clear them. I was going to paint them first, but the wheel machine will scratch up the inner barrels a bit so I dont want that to scratch up the new paint. I already have the tires. I have a set of winter snows on the car now, I'll have to get them the hell off!

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes, Weldcraft called me on Friday with the shipping and billing info and then they were shipping them out that day. I imagine I'll get them on Wed or so, and then get the tires mtd and balanced, then I'll sand, primer and paint and clear them. I was going to paint them first, but the wheel machine will scratch up the inner barrels a bit so I dont want that to scratch up the new paint. I already have the tires. I have a set of winter snows on the car now, I'll have to get them the hell off!
Good luck with the sanding and priming. I like you thought about the mounting marks in the barrel after the paint jo, but moving the wheels around and painting was much easier without the tires mounted. I'm hoping to get my tires mounted tomorrow if possible.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Also did some remeasuring on the wheels width and they very 1/4" from bottom seat to middle of the inner flange lip. As you can see from the photo a 12" ruler fits inside but about halfway down so at the bottom they are 11.75"
Q3bBR70cR1KhoeX7PnM69A.jpg
uw3WM5CPQTWtD1IYIVv1xg.jpg
MaxDsh1IRWSrPKzaRw8GHw.jpg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wheels and tires are on, and fit perfect. Details coming with many pics.
Q6I3jrZ+QdSTIM3tglwv3Q.jpg
UXbEHYF7SCONPkOuxbKuhg.jpg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So these tires have some bulge to the sidewall, but with these wheels widened the fit is good however I personally prefer a little tire stretch and that didn't happen here. With the tire mounted on the wheels the maintained the same section width as you can see in the measurement which is just under the 13" from sidewall bulge to sidewall. I cut a small piece of fender liner and clearanced the Steeda mount a bit just to be safe, it wasn't touching but was within 1/8" o n the liner and 3/16" from tire bulge to Steeda mount. When in motion and suspension articulating it could have rubbed so trimming was just a precaution. I could have also used a wheels spacer as it looks like there is plenty of room even for a 1/4" spacer. When I measured the tire poke at ride height I was surprised to find the driver side had 3/16" poke and pass had 1/16" not really much but was notable. No doubt as the wheel push up further into the wheel well under load the wheel and tire tucks further in as there is a slight ark to the suspension. At this point I almost wish I went wider on the wheels to 12.5" and I would have had the fitment I wanted with this tire. It's been proven though that Nitto NT555 run wide in comparison to some other brands. And of course I had to watch the guys mounting my tires.
NU2%Ur2AS+KIUgFaFKOngA.jpg
IsLNgg5kQ7SMvPnTjyFGig.jpg
p+ret9RxTC+pQHX9uy9LcQ.jpg
RKKCP6ckQJOE1dBMyH%JkQ.jpg
vfKOiGreQyqDvL5PtU32%g.jpg
+f5S%MCIR4qf+kjMCZO3vw.jpg
SBzpJ91+R46dbbEMt8%PLQ.jpg
R8VKecueQOC%ABwvyPIKrQ.jpg
ctSzTfycQXSniowo6m5VXQ.jpg
WTRyd8ZSQVGW1jhjTMIAvw.jpg
tqOk+PTfSiSYLf7Q4d9t9A.jpg
dtGZO5HbQI684fkfyX068A.jpg
dtGZO5HbQI684fkfyX068A.jpg
+BiYtdWxQzCHESbYzEAHWg.jpg
6FJcTdv6S1C8NJ0Gpb5m8Q.jpg
+MS595a2QD2NLzNTwnmejA.jpg
KJvBZQyeTi2FDQDU%EEsIg.jpg
UXbEHYF7SCONPkOuxbKuhg.jpg
Xu6J90nATu6lcXAL%yQJ7A.jpg
LelCb4MhS5OtQGw+q2fhjw.jpg
hLVlo7pNSqamkc0NZr2TfQ.jpg
LNJAhWOZTWqZy1MryEcbrw.jpg
2bLqeGwtTX+ygdAgz1KhNA.jpg
d1X%qR7OQs6mosRSHMUvgw.jpg
SizOVmdAQUmTJaIYxWSnFQ.jpg
dBWj67xjRVOL28ZrTTzs8A.jpg

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Man, that looks great. So the real width, if you use up the entire wheel well with the Steeda shock mounts, is right at 13". Any tire wider than that will have to poke out or risk contact? Seems like you nailed it.

Edit: mind if I ask what they charged you to install the shock mounts (if you didn't do it yourself)? I was quoted $200.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Man, that looks great. So the real width, if you use up the entire wheel well with the Steeda shock mounts, is right at 13". Any tire wider than that will have to poke out or risk contact? Seems like you nailed it.

Edit: mind if I ask what they charged you to install the shock mounts (if you didn't do it yourself)? I was quoted $200.
So I think with shaving the Steeda mount 1/4" and using a 1/4" spacer in my case (depends on original offset) one could do 12.5" for sure, but dam how wide do we really need to go.:cwl: Stupid question...wide as humanly possible when getting wheels widened:rockon: I still wish I would have added 2.5" in my case making it 12.5"

The mounts take about an hour to install which I did my self. Seems they are charging 1.5" which isn't bad.

Me watching Tire Mounting:bandit:
fullsizeoutput_7c1.jpeg
NU2%Ur2AS+KIUgFaFKOngA.jpg

Last edited:

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I meant 13" max tire section width to fill that whole wheel well up.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
99D681D5-DFA7-4180-A117-C35B01FC6CBC.jpeg
Sending wheels to weldcraft this week then got to get even more tires for the new wide rears. Not pictured but coming off of the car soon - 2 more 275/40/20 and 2 255/40/20.

In a month the only tires I have that will make the final configuration will be the 285’s pictured. Everything else will get sold.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Got mine back from Weldcraft, looked great, no issues at all. Got them painted up and Discount tires mounted up my new tires also, they fit great on that wheel. Hardly took any weight. They were hesitant at first to do it, had never seen widened wheels before, but after us all talking about it, and them looking at the quality of the welds, they did it. At first they wanted proof of Weldcraft having a welding certification, but we got around that. They learned something today. They look great on the car, I also went with 20mm spacers in the front only. Sorry for the bad pix, it was dark in my garage.
20181219_194525.jpg
20181219_194546.jpg

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Got mine back from Weldcraft, looked great, no issues at all. Got them painted up and Discount tires mounted up my new tires also, they fit great on that wheel. Hardly took any weight. They were hesitant at first to do it, had never seen widened wheels before, but after us all talking about it, and them looking at the quality of the welds, they did it. At first they wanted proof of Weldcraft having a welding certification, but we got around that. They learned something today. They look great on the car, I also went with 20mm spacers in the front only. Sorry for the bad pix, it was dark in my garage.
20181219_194525.jpg
20181219_194546.jpg
Looking good man. Couple questions. who panted your barrels and how much did they charge, also any pics of the paint jot? Also what size tire and what was the final wheel width measured from inside?
Sponsored