Sponsored

predator 5.2L vs aluminator 5.2L

torino501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RS3
ok so according to the LEAK we're getting 720 hp. with all the talk and speculation and broken hearts and disappointment. and as a certified ford tech of 25 yrs, seeing ford history of mass production garbage that we work on everyday. I can see 720 hp being reality. look at all the cobra's, Gt500's cobras had the kellog crank manley pistons but crappy pistons. the Gt500's esp the 13'14's all this exotic hardware and 40.00 a piece rods. then the block was done at about 850 hp due to the PWT flaking off. seems the boss or 15/17 5.0L are the best bang for the buck. honestly the GT350/R are a joke at 70-85k. but lets talk about the predator vs the aluminator, I truly believe that 720 hp is about all your going to see with the PWT block. we have to meet emissions, we have to go 5/60 powertrain warranty. the 15/16 5.0L blocks still use sleeves(though they move around at over 850 hp, then the PWT will want to flake off at over 850 hp also.so you can put all the kryptonite in the block but sooner or later the block will reach its limit. abd I think the 720Hp might be it to still have the war and emissions cert. I don't know how long a boosted 5.2L will last in a Cobra Jet pushing 1000 hp though. I guess the blocks are still PWT or they go full BoZo on the block and get the darton sleeves. guess we will see
Sponsored

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
ok so according to the LEAK we're getting 720 hp. with all the talk and speculation and broken hearts and disappointment. and as a certified ford tech of 25 yrs, seeing ford history of mass production garbage that we work on everyday. I can see 720 hp being reality. look at all the cobra's, Gt500's cobras had the kellog crank manley pistons but crappy pistons. the Gt500's esp the 13'14's all this exotic hardware and 40.00 a piece rods. then the block was done at about 850 hp due to the PWT flaking off. seems the boss or 15/17 5.0L are the best bang for the buck.

honestly the GT350/R are a joke at 70-85k. but lets talk about the predator vs the aluminator, I truly believe that 720 hp is about all your going to see with the PWT block. we have to meet emissions, we have to go 5/60 powertrain warranty. the 15/16 5.0L blocks still use sleeves(though they move around at over 850 hp, then the PWT will want to flake off at over 850 hp also.so you can put all the kryptonite in the block but sooner or later the block will reach its limit. abd I think the 720Hp might be it to still have the war and emissions cert. I don't know how long a boosted 5.2L will last in a Cobra Jet pushing 1000 hp though. I guess the blocks are still PWT or they go full BoZo on the block and get the darton sleeves. guess we will see
Can't wait to order my 2019 GT350 regardless of price. :rockon:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
OP - Was there a point or are you playing the “make a post that’s impossible to read” game? Does someone win a prize for counting the correct number of mistakes? I usually play this game with a jar of jelly beans but I see what you did.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
OP - Was there a point or are you playing the “make a post that’s impossible to read” game? Does someone win a prize for counting the correct number of mistakes? I usually play this game with a jar of jelly beans but I see what you did.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

OP
OP

torino501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RS3
Well HOME ROOM MOMMY, I didn't realize certain forum members had a PHD in English. it was a rant... that is all. As far a jelly beans go I have no idea what your talking about? Do you count them? Put in like colors? Play hide n seek with them?

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Well HOME ROOM MOMMY, I didn't realize certain forum members had a PHD in English. it was a rant... that is all. As far a jelly beans go I have no idea what your talking about? Do you count them? Put in like colors? Play hide n seek with them?
OH!!! It was a rant. Yup! Rants are pointless. lol

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
OH!!! It was a rant. Yup! Rants are pointless. lol
Lol - I guess that’s an acceptable excuse. “It was a pointless rant.” Yes, Hahah

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Like you, I came across the OP's opening comments and was like, "WTF is this guy on about?" I couldn't make sense of any of it. Maybe he had just taken an Ambien before hitting the keyboard one last time before nighty-nite?

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
If I'm not mistaken the only specialty Mustang that had the Manley Rods were the 2003 and 2004 Mustang Cobras through the persistence of John Coletti as the powder forged rods were not in development at that time, Ford did start using the powder forged rods on the later Shelby GT500s but I may be wrong.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford had been using powder forged rods (a bit of a misnomer that causes quite a bit of confusion when discussing connecting rods) for quite some time in the modular engine series that preceeded the '03-'04 Cobra engine program. Coletti's challenge was in convincing management to use a fully machined drop forging. As Coletti himself put it...

JC said:
With the supercharged Mustang Cobra, I wanted to get rid of the of the old I-beam rods and go with Manley connecting rods. Those were $55 apiece, compared with $1.60 for the production rods. To the accountants, the rods looked and felt the same. They said, “Are you nuts?” I said, “Well, if you want the engine to stay together . . .” Everybody knew I was crazy, so usually  they let me do what I wanted to do.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/john-coletti-what-id-do-differently

Steve Magnante put it this way in his book...
Coletti%20Rods-X2.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=9...Q#v=onepage&q=john coletti manley rods&f=true

Last edited:

Sponsored

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
Ford had been using powder forged rods (a bit of a misnomer that causes quite a bit of confusion when discussing connecting rods) for quite some time in the modular engine series that preceeded the '03-'04 Cobra engine program. Coletti's challenge was in convincing management to use a fully machined drop forging. As Coletti himself put it...

Coletti%20Rods-X2.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=9Rs2c66sZGgC&pg=PA177&lpg=PA177&dq=john+coletti+manley+rods&source=bl&ots=Cx5Zg6C7xt&sig=yrZ7l5p4V7ztotjYmtQnf_Trzm8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTifmI95DfAhWMnOAKHTusBcoQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=john coletti manley rods&f=true
Yeah, scooped up a copy back when I had my termy, I still have the copy of Iron Fist, Lead Foot: John Coletti and Ford's Terminator, sadly I no longer have my 04 Comp Orange Cobra coupe...:explode:

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500

Coletti%20Rods-X2.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=9Rs2c66sZGgC&pg=PA177&lpg=PA177&dq=john+coletti+manley+rods&source=bl&ots=Cx5Zg6C7xt&sig=yrZ7l5p4V7ztotjYmtQnf_Trzm8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTifmI95DfAhWMnOAKHTusBcoQ6AEwDnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=john coletti manley rods&f=true
And that is why i said before ,FORD PERFORMANCE needs a guy like JOHN running the show.Can you imagine where FORD would be today with him?The 13-14 GT500 would have had the best RODS with him.We probably would have had another lightning truck,4 door fatcat killer,and the MUSTANG would have already had 850hp.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
And that is why i said before ,FORD PERFORMANCE needs a guy like JOHN running the show.Can you imagine where FORD would be today with him?The 13-14 GT500 would have had the best RODS with him.We probably would have had another lightning truck,4 door fatcat killer,and the MUSTANG would have already had 850hp.
I'm with you @SVTSNAKE355 and also feel John was the last person that worked for Ford that was truly "one of us", I feel he knew what we expect from the cars we want and that anything short of the Manley rods at that time would just NOT cut it, I feel he put pressure on the bean counters to get the rods approved and as a result the Terminator 4.6 DOHC engine was one of the stoutest boost happy engines Ford had produced at that time, if it wasn't for the blown 03/04 Cobra we may not have so many SCed performance cars such as Demons, HCs, Red Eyes, ZL1s etc, I feel John Coletti broke the performance mold as to what could be done with current performance engines and that the 03/04 Cobras were well ahead of their time. We need more people like John at Ford!

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I'm with you @SVTSNAKE355 and also feel John was the last person that worked for Ford that was truly "one of us", I feel he knew what we expect from the cars we want and that anything short of the Manley rods at that time would just NOT cut it, I feel he put pressure on the bean counters to get the rods approved and as a result the Terminator 4.6 DOHC engine was one of the stoutest boost happy engines Ford had produced at that time, if it wasn't for the blown 03/04 Cobra we may not have so many SCed performance cars such as Demons, HCs, Red Eyes, ZL1s etc, I feel John Coletti broke the performance mold as to what could be done with current performance engines and that the 03/04 Cobras were well ahead of their time. We need more people like John at Ford!
I agree, 100percent. There is no way we would be last place right now.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I agree, 100percent. There is no way we would be last place right now.
We’re only last because the 500 isn’t out yet. Ford is releasing one which is good.

If they didn’t then yes, last place.

I also believe it won’t have more power than the dodge and won’t be as fast on a road circuit as the 1LE (hopefully wrong here).

Jamal, Raj, Dave were the heart of Ford performance and gave us a flat plane 8250rpm engine, a carbon fibre flying buttresses super car, a drifting awd hatchback, and a RAPTOR - AT THE SAME TIME.

That is impressive. John Coletti was cool, sure. But he did things one - at - a - time. Think about that.
Sponsored