Sponsored

Feedback on next engine mods

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Theres a really good sale going on here in Aus where I can get some parts damn cheap, just after some opinions on the way to go:

Current mods:
MBRP Street Catback
Mishimoto Catch Can
Mishimoto Intercooler + Intercooler pipes
NGK 1 step colder sparks
Airaid CAI
Lund Tune

What Im looking to get on top of this is:
GFB DV+ BOV (Im not after turbo blow off sound)
Turobomart 10PSI Wastegate
Mishimoto Catted Downpipe

and not performance related, the Mishimoto red radiator and misc hose sets along with the Mishimoto black coolant overflow tank, just for underhood dress up cause I doubt they'll do anything for performance, I have a red/black/silver theme going on.

I know the intercooler will be mentioned too, Id want to get the red anodized ETS intercooler but add about 50% to the cost minimum to ship here to Australia which sucks.

Opinions on those as the next upgrades? Or what would you do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP (Poverty Pack) 2.3T A/T
I personally wouldn't bother with the DV+ if you have an auto. Get the Turbosmart WG and an E30 tune and call it a day. Melbourne temps so I wouldn't bother with a larger intercooler the Mishi will be fine.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I have the same catch can, catback, DV+, coolant tank (aluminum), NGK plugs, and the 7 psi wastegate. None of them are hard to install, except for hooking up the bottom line on the catch can, which is simple if you're willing to pull the intake manifold. The catback is what made the biggest difference to the car; a little louder, a little lighter and better flow, and a much better sound. I swapped the plugs at the same time I put in new boost coils, and they made the idle smoother. The others work, but nothing earth-shaking.

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
I would do the downpipe with a high flow cat, if it is non catted it get pretty loud, and you have the tune either way, so no worry of a CEL.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Good to see someone else modding an Ecoboost in Australia.
I have Cobb CAI & Inter-cooler, with a custor tune via an Accessport, with the DV+ valve. Based on the CRD Dyno I'm up approx 40% power & torque, coming on a little earlier in the rev range to standard. Looking for a great GT car (I use the car for work everyday).
My next steps will be the exhaust side, going 3" Down-pipe (can't be the Cobb unit as it doesn't fit RHD) most likely the Mishimoto unit, and the Cobb cat back exhaust; then retune.
It would be great to compare notes on the results your achieving & direction your headed in.

Sponsored

cstewartj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
I would do the downpipe with a high flow cat, if it is non catted it get pretty loud, and you have the tune either way, so no worry of a CEL.
I'm with him. Would be interested in seeing the results. Don't forget to post!

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Good to see someone else modding an Ecoboost in Australia.
I have Cobb CAI & Inter-cooler, with a custom tune via an Accessport, with the DV+ valve. Based on the CRD Dyno I'm up approx 40% power & torque, coming on a little earlier in the rev range to standard. Looking for a great GT car (I use the car for work everyday).
My next steps will be the exhaust side, going 3" Down-pipe (can't be the Cobb unit as it doesn't fit RHD) most likely the Mishimoto unit, and the Cobb cat back exhaust; then retune.
It would be great to compare notes on the results your achieving & direction your headed in.
Finished off the engine mods today with a Mishimoto catted down-pipe, Cobb exhaust & custom tuned for 250kw at the wheels and solid torque increase all round (50% over stock). Also got the Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter and strut brace.

OP
OP
Hellman109

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have stock downpipe and an auto, tuned with Tune+ and made 224.5kw Thursday last week, but, I really need more revisions on that tune.

... Also have the Turbonetics NX2 on order, but Ill probably get a new downpipe and get it 3" all the way through when I do that, I have an MBRP catback so Ill get an exhaust shop to either mod an off the shelf downpipe or make their own and cut the 2.5" section out of the MBRP most likely to open up the flow.

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
I have followed a similar path and am almost done.
Finishing up with Tune+ revisions now.
I have Roush CAI, Mishi-clone FMIC and h/c charge pipes, GFB DV+, NGK step cold plugs, MBRP catted race turbo back, Steeda throttle body spacer and Mishi catch can.
Obviously Cobb accessport but now with Tune+ tune.

Its my opinion you need a downpipe to maximize everything else, it was my last upgrade and I did it between using Cobb OTS stage 2 tune and going to Tune+.
The downpipe made a big difference in performance. It also made the car much louder which at this point has become a negative because my wife cant stand driving in the car.
None the less I did a WOT test pull on the way to work this morning and the accessport gave me 388 estimated horsepower.

Also, great bang for buck is a Steeda K-brace, cheap and quick to DIY install and big difference in handling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hellman109

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah Im worried about it becoming too loud as well, I couldn't find details of the cell count for the MBRP cat, but I know some have 100 cell count, others 200.

Sponsored

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I personally wouldn't bother with the DV+ if you have an auto.
I have a DV+ on an auto, I think it was a worthwhile mod. The stock diverter valve really is super cheesy. It leaks boost. It's also not a particularly expensive mod. I noticed a slight difference afterward. The car seems to build boost a bit quicker and hold it a bit better.

If you're gonna do further mods that will up your boost pressure it'll make an even bigger difference since you won't have to deal with the leaking stock valve holding more pressure than it was designed to.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Mustang
I have followed a similar path and am almost done.
Finishing up with Tune+ revisions now.
I have Roush CAI, Mishi-clone FMIC and h/c charge pipes, GFB DV+, NGK step cold plugs, MBRP catted race turbo back, Steeda throttle body spacer and Mishi catch can.
Obviously Cobb accessport but now with Tune+ tune.
Howd you go with the Mishi clone cooler? Was thinking of pairing this with the filter and stage 2 OTS map on the Accessport.

OP
OP
Hellman109

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Howd you go with the Mishi clone cooler? Was thinking of pairing this with the filter and stage 2 OTS map on the Accessport.
I have a proper Mishimoto and it works great, some of the Facebook groups hate on it hardcore though, to the point of straight up lieing about it.

FYI if you want a proper one cheap, wait for Sparesbox to have a 20% off sale on their own store or their ebay store, they have them like once a month.

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
My setup works great. I haven’t noticed any heat soak but I think the circumstances where I would notice it would be very rare. I haven’t tracked the car yet; I was waiting until the car was finished and now that it is I will have to wait until spring. None the less, the clone FMIC and charge pipes were very well made and fit great. I wrote a full review of the parts and the install when I did them this past summer; do a quick search and you will see.
Sponsored