Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
I still have the tech pack transmission. I've considered selling it, but since the track pack transmission has no warranty I don't mind having a spare.

Ford did help tech pack owners with a great price on a replacement transmission. It was a fair amount of work doing the swap, but I'm grateful that Ford helped with a path towards fixing the temperature issues.
Let me know if you decide to sell. I am kind of in the market for a TECH pack trans.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, because when you buy a TRACK car, you buy it primarily for its prowess on the TRACK. Otherwise, you could just get a run-of-the-mill GT and be happy as a clam (I mean, without the glamor of that oh-so-special Shelby name)

See, this is why I will never understand people who daily their mustangs. They want "performance", but bitch when the suspension isn't cushy enough for them. Brings down those of us who actually buy a performance car for PERFORMANCE but have to spend all kinds of money making it less cushy because they wanted a performance car just to look cool.

Serious question, Hack... You obviously have more money than you want to make us seem if you were able to get a GT350 and add a diff cooler (I'm assuming the OEM Ford Performance package) AND swap the trans... Why don't you get an Ecoboost as a daily and keep your Shelby as a track toy? That way, you could've gotten the track pack GT350, gotten a base Ecoboost (with a downpayment from the $8k or so you spend on the cooler and trans) since you don't need the fancy screen or anything, and the money you would save on gas daily driving it would essentially make your car payments on the EB while you have a comfortable daily driver and a nasty track car for the days you want to go race or just "take a spirited drive", as they say. I mean, if you're dead set on having a Mustang as a daily driver, the EB is by no means a boring car. Ideally, I'd say use that $8k and just get a Focus or something, but I've seen how the guys on this forum freak out when I say that Mustangs are awful daily drivers
I like a performance car, but I don't have the money to spend a lot of time at the track. So, my performance car is a compromise. I'd love to own an Ariel Atom or something, but it really isn't practical enough for me. What do you own for a track car?

I'm not going to sacrifice my 401k to buy a second new car. I don't have that much money. What happened was I couldn't afford to go to the track for a year because I was spending my money and time on upgrading my car. It sucked, but it was the least expensive option. I would have liked to sell my car and buy a newer GT350 with the coolers, but that was going to cost me more money than the upgrades.

Regarding the gas money - I'm not sure whether you are being serious. I drive about 10,000 miles a year in the Shelby. I'm getting about 17 mpg lifetime including track days. That's about $1765 a year with $3 gas. If the EB got 30 mpg, it would cost $1000 a year to fill. If you want to sell me an EB Mustang for $64/month I would gladly pay it. I don't think I would get 30 mpg in the EB in my daily drive either. I think I was averaging about 19 in my 2015 GT when I owned that.

To be perfectly honest, a base GT would be a much better fit for me money wise. I had my 2015 GT to the track and it was a lot of fun. But when the GT350 was announced I had to have one. I'm an engine guy and I really wanted to own a Voodoo. And even though there have been issues with the GT350 ownership, I'm still thrilled I bought it. I love the car. Every time I drive it I feel happy. And I will sacrifice in other areas to afford my Mustang.

I don't think many people buy hard core track cars like Ariel Atoms. Most people want more comfort and want to get more use out of their track car rather than only driving it on track days. Those that can afford that - awesome, more power to you.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I like a performance car, but I don't have the money to spend a lot of time at the track. So, my performance car is a compromise. I'd love to own an Ariel Atom or something, but it really isn't practical enough for me. What do you own for a track car?

I'm not going to sacrifice my 401k to buy a second new car. I don't have that much money. What happened was I couldn't afford to go to the track for a year because I was spending my money and time on upgrading my car. It sucked, but it was the least expensive option. I would have liked to sell my car and buy a newer GT350 with the coolers, but that was going to cost me more money than the upgrades.

Regarding the gas money - I'm not sure whether you are being serious. I drive about 10,000 miles a year in the Shelby. I'm getting about 17 mpg lifetime including track days. That's about $1765 a year with $3 gas. If the EB got 30 mpg, it would cost $1000 a year to fill. If you want to sell me an EB Mustang for $64/month I would gladly pay it. I don't think I would get 30 mpg in the EB in my daily drive either. I think I was averaging about 19 in my 2015 GT when I owned that.

To be perfectly honest, a base GT would be a much better fit for me money wise. I had my 2015 GT to the track and it was a lot of fun. But when the GT350 was announced I had to have one. I'm an engine guy and I really wanted to own a Voodoo. And even though there have been issues with the GT350 ownership, I'm still thrilled I bought it. I love the car. Every time I drive it I feel happy. And I will sacrifice in other areas to afford my Mustang.

I don't think many people buy hard core track cars like Ariel Atoms. Most people want more comfort and want to get more use out of their track car rather than only driving it on track days. Those that can afford that - awesome, more power to you.
I understand performance being a compromise, but you have to see there's a point when you're reaching more "compromise" than "performance". We already inherently compromise by having a 4 seater performance car with lots of cargo space. I accept that compromise because I want to have room to take my wife and kids to the track with me someday, but that is already a significant amount of compromise, and needs to be made up for in other areas such as harsh suspension and unfriendly engine characteristics to maximize performance. My track car is my mustang or my ZX2. My daily is my Focus.

I'm not saying to sacrifice your 401k, but having an ecoboost wouldn't be much extra cost. I mean, I thought you'd be spending a lot more than that on gas... I mean, when I was dailying my mustang for a bit, I was averaging 17mpg and spending about $50/week on gas. I've seen a lot people with GT350s average about 12mpg, then I've seen a lot of EB guys averaging about 25. That would be your gas consumption cut in about half, while also saving on maintenance costs (oil changes, tires, brakes, all cheaper). Not to mention, you can pick up base EBs now for under $15k, so a $13k ecoboost (can be has with under 50k miles) with a $8k downpayment would mean payments well under $100/month, which for me would be cheaper than dailying my mustang.

I kind of understand wanting to own the Voodoo, but only from a collector's standpoint. Ultimately, the Coyote can be made to rev just as high for much less money, and won't have the reliability issues of the Voodoo

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So you will own a GT350 or GT500 (briefly), but drive a cushy SUV most of the time.
Facepalm.

Hack said:
...No wonder you want the GT500 to be hard core. You don't plan to use it much, so it doesn't matter to you if it's comfortable on the street.

...you won't drive the car every day and take it to the track as much as you can afford. You probably won't keep it longer than necessary to develop products to sell for it. You won't put tens of thousands of street miles on it.
Ever consider a career working at the county fair guessing how much people weigh? My advice - don't. But thanks for telling me so much about myself and what my plans are, however silly they may be.

Hack said:
Since you are throwing pretty hard and heavy punches at people who use their cars differently than you, can you handle my assessment of how you are using your cars?
Do you not understand? I really don't care about your desire with respect to this car as I'm pining for performance and not compromise. For the zillionth time, you'll be able to buy a lesser/tamer version if that is what you desire.
As to your assessment of how I "use my cars" - you have no idea what I do with them other than some of the modifications that were done to them that I showed here.

With respect to the thread, if you aren't not be fond of a DSSV for this application why not start a thread that addresses your own personal wants and needs?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I kind of understand wanting to own the Voodoo, but only from a collector's standpoint. Ultimately, the Coyote can be made to rev just as high for much less money, and won't have the reliability issues of the Voodoo
More reason to drive it now while I have a full warranty. The Coyote is great, though. Nothing wrong with it.

Facepalm.

Ever consider a career working at the county fair guessing how much people weigh? My advice - don't. But thanks for telling me so much about myself and what my plans are, however silly they may be.

Do you not understand? I really don't care about your desire with respect to this car as I'm pining for performance and not compromise. For the zillionth time, you'll be able to buy a lesser/tamer version if that is what you desire.
As to your assessment of how I "use my cars" - you have no idea what I do with them other than some of the modifications that were done to them that I showed here.

With respect to the thread, if you aren't not be fond of a DSSV for this application why not start a thread that addresses your own personal wants and needs?
Got it. Kind of what I expected you to say. Have a great day.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ditto.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mere foreplay.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
The only way DSSV shocks show up is on an “R” version and it’ll be a comprise like the 1LE. Comparing the GT/ GTR just isn’t fair the price differences of those cars allows for so much more engineering. Look at the list of fast cars plenty use magride, it can be just as fast with a properly calibrated magride setup. I’d rather see them put more time into engineering the trans and suspension or an even stickier tire.

Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I heard is going to have monroe shocks/struts.

SilverGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Odyssey, TL
I would think MagneRide could be (if someone wanted to) programmed to imitate spool valve shock characteristics too. I don't know...I like the idea of MagneRide.
I agree: if we could have access to the MagneRide tuning software, I'm sure we could come up with something that would imitate spool valve shocks, AND we'd have three other damping modes, too... Does anybody know how to hack into the MagneRide software?

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Not a chance in hell. If you think you can get a mag ride shock/strut to act like a spool valve you seriously need to google and research a how the dssv's work.

SilverGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Odyssey, TL
Not a chance in hell. If you think you can get a mag ride shock/strut to act like a spool valve you seriously need to google and research a how the dssv's work.
Well, I actually have done a fair amount of research along that line. While the DSSV shocks and the MagneRide shocks are quite different in how they develop damping force, it seems to me that the MagneRide shocks can develop just about any damping force... If we knew the DSSV damping characteristics, it seems to reason that you could make the MagneRide shock deliver the same damping forces, given that they're both velocity-sensitive devices. But - and this was my question - does anybody know how to do that? Is there a way to "tune" the MagneRide shocks to my preference?