Sponsored

Electric cars, its a changing world

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
With Volkswasgon announcing all electric powerplants soon and others heading that way. Looks like gas powered autos are on the way of black and white TVs.
Open discussion on how this will change our world. I wonder who can afford them, what about natural resources for batteries, power drain on our grid, what about world ecomies that depend on petroleum for income, on and on.....
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You'll need a power grid capable of producing the electricity to charge these vehicles. Wind and Solar isn't going to be the savior from fossil fuel energy. That leaves nuclear. And no one wants to commit to nuclear. So we find ourselves back where we started from...depending on fossil fuel to generate transportation. And that is the whole premise behind electric powered cars to begin with. While hydro power is a clean method it consumes farm land and is limited. Nuclear power plants could be placed anywhere but and are the only other true means of generating energy efficiently on a mass level without the use of fossil fuel. IN the west the French have been using it for decades, but the world as a whole are still overly cautious of it due to the waste and what to do with it. Then there is the big melt down scare to consider especially after the incidents in Russia and Japan. So I think we can safely rule out any move toward nuclear energy.

Then there is the issue with the waste from the batteries after they are depleted. What to due with the battery waste will be the issue next. What happens when there becomes a shortage on Lithium or cadmium or nickel or lead or zinc and other metals used to build batteries.

Personally I don't consider Tesla and a Volkswagon making this crazy announcement amounts to more than sensationalism to grab headlines and excite the environmentalist base. Volkswagon is still trying to right their wrong on the whole diesel scandal that they got their dinkies in a pinch over a few years back.

I see electric vehicles becoming a part of the commuter industry but I don't see it becoming the main stay replacement for the combustion engine.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Sorry I see were there is similar thread "2019 GT end of performace era" that is addressing some of issues.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If we actually had some Gen 3 reactors here we'd have a different view of nuclear power. It's the irrationally unpopular but correct thing to do.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't buy an electric car. I think they are boring as a car enthusiast.
Sponsored